Rugby league in London, what next?

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#1 EssexRL

EssexRL
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Most discussions on this board about RL in London have focused on the plight of Broncos but RL in London is about much more than one team: including Skolars and a growing number of amateur clubs. As a southern (Berkshire) born and bred RL fan and Skolars season ticket holder I believe the greatest game deserves and needs to grow outside the heatlands. Lets be honest must RL fans rightly think our sport should be bigger than it is. London and the south has to be part of that, so looking forward and being positive - what do we need to do to grow the sport in London? (Looking forward answers only please?)

Edited by EssexRL, 17 May 2014 - 09:15 PM.

London Skolars

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,810 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

Good luck with that.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 EssexRL

EssexRL
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

Good luck with that.

Thanks but thats not really the point is it? How do WE build and expand RL? Bit like NI punk bands in 77/78 like SLF, Rudi et al, could have stayed regional but got UK wide attention. Ditto RL, how do we build it.
London Skolars

#4 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

Thanks but thats not really the point is it? How do WE build and expand RL? Bit like NI punk bands in 77/78 like SLF, Rudi et al, could have stayed regional but got UK wide attention. Ditto RL, how do we build it.

Success instantly springs to mind. It's very hard to market a losing team, especially one with an uncertain future.

What London needs more than most however is consistency. The Broncos to remain in Barnet and gradually build and grow, Skolars and particularly Hemel are still relatively young clubs at this level.

There's no overnight solution; barring a millionaire. But success on the field for all clubs and creating habits for the neutral in attending the odd game or event can really build positive reputations.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,810 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

I totally agree with you 100%. The problem being many people in RL don't and are perfectly happy to see it remain as a game for areas of Yorkshire and Lancashire. In fact more than this, they vehemently oppose anyone else getting involved.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#6 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:03 PM

For a successful SL team you'd probably need the following things:

1. A committed owner - Hughes needs to go imo. Richard Lamb lives in London ffs, we should be chasing him up to buy the club. Otherwise target a businessman based in London or someone involved in another sport. 

2. A solid youth base - we currently have that with quality younger players coming through, but you need a bit of quality and experience to supplement them, to build a competitive team.

3. An audience and a good marketing plan - we don't really seem to have a target audience for our fanbase and no one knows we exist, you pretty much have to discover the club yourself. A strong marketing plan to promote the club, both through the internet and through local businesses is the way forward. Target and promote the club to locals, with novel marketing ideas and not just the same old generic ideas.

4. Based in SW/W London - imo that's where the club's strongest base was and with the best development in youth was from, Barnet hasn't worked and the pitch is probably too small for RL anyway. 

5. Showing respect to the fans - no wonder so many have walked away when the club treats them like dirt for years. 

If the club worked on those 5 things, I think we could have a solid 5-8k fanbase and compete in the SL. 

#7 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

There needs to be centralised management and control of rugby league at all levels in London. There's some great things happening at community level in and around the M25 but the whole 'network' needs knitting together with each grassroots club feeding into the tier one club.

This would avoid some of the awful scheduling that has occurred previously (ie, staging Broncos games at the same time as most of the RL community is indisposed) and allow each community club to be part of the Broncos' marketing arm.

The relationship between the Broncos, the community clubs and the RFL needs to be symbiotic.

#8 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

So we need a really powerful first couple of singles and first album?

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,990 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

For a successful SL team you'd probably need the following things:

1. A committed owner

2. A solid youth base

3. An audience 

Of course but the question is how do we get those things?

Sorry to disagree with you on "Marketing", you need an attractive product first.

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,990 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

Most discussions on this board about RL in London have focused on the plight of Broncos but RL in London is about much more than one team: including Skolars and a growing number of amateur clubs. As a southern (Berkshire) born and bred RL fan and Skolars season ticket holder I believe the greatest game deserves and needs to grow outside the heatlands. Lets be honest must RL fans rightly think our sport should be bigger than it is. London and the south has to be part of that, so looking forward and being positive - what do we need to do to grow the sport in London? (Looking forward answers only please?)

You need the exact same thing that has grown the sport in Leeds, Wigan, St.Helens, Warrington, Hull, Bradford, Perpignan etc.

A decent professional club in the locality.

Take a look at where and how the game does grow, and just do the same. 

It's not a northern thing, after all the game has failed to grow in Sheffield, Rochdale, Swinton, Doncaster, Blackpool etc.

Look at the growth in South Wales for the very short time they had a professional club on the up. Look at the low level amateur clubs outside the north who have had little growth for many years.  

I'ts a tired old debate and here we go again, but if London had a top eight team what do you think the growth would be against the growth if London only had a couple of CC1 clubs.

As people are indicating Melbourne Storm are the answer, funding it is the problem.

#11 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

You need the exact same thing that has grown the sport in Leeds, Wigan, St.Helens, Warrington, Hull, Bradford, Perpignan etc.

A decent professional club in the locality.

Take a look at where and how the game does grow, and just do the same.

It's not a northern thing, after all the game has failed to grow in Sheffield, Rochdale, Swinton, Doncaster, Blackpool etc.

Look at the growth in South Wales for the very short time they had a professional club on the up. Look at the low level amateur clubs outside the north who have had little growth for many years.

I'ts a tired old debate and here we go again, but if London had a top eight team what do you think the growth would be against the growth if London only had a couple of CC1 clubs.

As people are indicating Melbourne Storm are the answer, funding it is the problem.

What are CC1 clubs?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#12 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,051 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

If the RFL really want to persevere with London (I wouldn't but that's another argument) perhaps a good idea would be to play the Magic Weekend at a London soccer ground, but not on the same day as the FA Cup Final. It would be a good weekend away for the fans and in the old Wembley weekend slot would perhaps fill a void in their sporting lives.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#13 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

Of course but the question is how do we get those things?

Sorry to disagree with you on "Marketing", you need an attractive product first.

1. Richard Lamb, who was keen on buying Bradford, is based in London. Why not chase him up and ask why he wouldn't be interested? If he would, then get him on as owner asap.

2. The RFL should pay for 2/3 development officers in London and the SE, to continue helping develop the young talent coming through. More of an effort to tie down youngsters to longer contracts needs to be made, but without a committed owner in it for the long haul, we won't be able to. Once you have the nucleus of the side with youth, you can build the rest.

3. The old fans who no longer come, locals to the stadium (wherever they're based), school kids, students, sports fans, disillusioned/non-league football fans etc.

#14 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

I think one of the key things to have a strong London club, is for them to own their own stadium. The only way I can see that happening, is if there is a link up with a non league club, then raising enough money to buy the stadium from them. By that, I don't mean Barnet as they're still FT, but further down the pyramid, like Tooting & Mitcham, Sutton United, Hampton & Richmond etc. Then obviously, build a couple of stands on the grounds to improve the standard. 

The dream would be the AFC Wimbledon stadium gets the go ahead and we ground share with them, but they'd probably want a deal where they keep all the gate receipts and we'd be in no better position than now at The Hive. 

#15 owls

owls
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not  but maybe the NAME of the club can have an impact,

London Barnet, London Enfield, Harringey, Fulham  etc, surely a name linked to the area it is baesd

in would make a better impact,

Never did like the name London Broncos  or Harlequins RL,

#16 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not  but maybe the NAME of the club can have an impact,

London Barnet, London Enfield, Harringey, Fulham  etc, surely a name linked to the area it is baesd

in would make a better impact,

Never did like the name London Broncos  or Harlequins RL,

Yeah I agree, a more regional name is needed rather than London, although you don't really need one imo, like Quins, Saracens, Wasps, Arsenal etc. 'Broncos' is a terrible name and has nothing to do with London or England, whatsoever. 

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yeah I agree, a more regional name is needed rather than London, although you don't really need one imo, like Quins, Saracens, Wasps, Arsenal etc. 'Broncos' is a terrible name and has nothing to do with London or England, whatsoever.

The broncos name should have ended when the partnership with Brisbane ended, they should go back to the crusaders name if they stick with being called London.

#18 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

The broncos name should have ended when the partnership with Brisbane ended, they should go back to the crusaders name if they stick with being called London.

I partly agree with you on this, the Broncos name is just as much connected to Brisbane Broncos as Quins RL was tp Harlequins RU.

The most recent name change was a chance to put this right but as usual we took the wrong choice.

#19 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,462 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

What you need is an identified market.  That is tricky.  

Despite what many people think, there is no mass market region of London looking for a new sport in London, so the location does not matter that much.

Rather than wondering who wants to watch a sport in London, we should ask who is not watching live sport, but could.

That, and do not use Runcorn Highfield as a model of how to run a club.

Edited by Bob8, 18 May 2014 - 05:52 PM.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#20 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

Also what you've got to remember about London, is it a largely cosmopolitan city with people from all different backgrounds around the globe. A lot of the time, the only sports they would recognize are football, athletics and basketball, which is part of the reason why they have such high participation rates. RL is still seen as being a 'white Anglo Saxon sport', but it's slowly changing, especially in London where we're seeing players from Eastern European backgrounds, African, Caribbean ad Asian backgrounds playing the sport. It's something RL needs to use to its advantage. For example if a Londoner with Turkish descent doesn't make it in football or basketball, where else are they going to go? You don't see any Turkish cricketers or rugby union players, RL should be searching minority cultures for players and it will start to relate to the minority cultures in the region and from there you can start to grow an interest. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users