Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town vs fev

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

Yes, definitely an excellent bonus point and the lads put everything to earn it. Team Manager, Brian Ritson sounded disappointed when he said that this was a game we could have won but there won't be many win at Fev.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#42 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Well done town, I honestly didn't think we would get anything today. its a big bonus point away at fev.

#43 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Definitely look as though we've turned a corner. And with one of our best players missing. Bring on crusaders
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#44 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Looks like ball movement and field kicking are gonna be a big thing for PV , and so I'd still think he'd be eyeing up a potent half who can give us that extra edge and smoothness ,and an outside back from Wigan when ever possible . It seems he wants it shifted out more so they're key spots for him to get full value for it . The mark of improvement is looking at games like this and fax and saying - heh , we could have won them with a bit more ! I That's what's encouraging under PV.

Edited by DavidM, 18 May 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#45 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,208 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Your lads are a credit tothe side and the game. But for Will Sharpe's length of the field dash, I reckon you could have nicked it.  Well played, pity there weren't more of you at P O Road.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#46 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

He's a SL winger . Couldn't handle him last year . Very little margins in this league this year below Leigh . Much more condensed quality wise . I would say three , perhaps four , players in key areas and we can be looking pretty much everyone in the eye . We see teams up the top end and they're just drilled in the basics , don't offer many gifts and have one or two go - to players . No one as yet is blowing you away . Bit exta potency and smarts in attack , and smoothness in the basics and the returns are there to be taken in this league . We've put consistent performances together lately as well , which we've really struggled with before . Must give confidence , especially when you match up to teams like Fev and Fax . Keep ticking the points over and you keep in the race .

Edited by DavidM, 18 May 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#47 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Your lads are a credit tothe side and the game. But for Will Sharpe's length of the field dash, I reckon you could have nicked it. Well played, pity there weren't more of you at P O Road.

i think you have the normanton fans to thank for why there wasn't more town fans there. There a disgrace to rugby league and your area.

#48 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Looking at the team sheet , no Red or Olstrum today . Hopefully just a bit of shuffling around . Good experience for the two amateur lads . Could be figuring more in the second half of the term maybe.

Edited by DavidM, 18 May 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#49 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,208 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

i think you have the normanton fans to thank for why there wasn't more town fans there. There a disgrace to rugby league and your area.

There was no trouble.  The few Town fans mixed with the Fev fans and shouted and made a lot of noise.  Town were clapped off at the end by the Fev fans.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#50 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Town usually have a reasonable travelling contingent but I think the Normanton game put paid to that.

#51 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Sounded like an excellent effort from the lads, Fev's last minute try flattered them, it sounded like we were dominant for a lot of the game but couldn't turn pressure into points. it sounded like we once again had a rough ride from the referee, i'ts about time we had some decisions going for us.

well done lads, it was a precious bonus point, we have to back it up with a win at home next week. 

#52 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Bookies gave us a 28 to 32pts handicap today so yet again we have surprised a few. 3 pts from fax and fev games shows we are improving massively. Improved Defence and an improved kicking game are evident.

#53 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

Got to back these efforts up next week with a win or they have less meaning . We've Leigh , Fax. , Sheffield and Fev to come - not saying we won't get points from them as three aren't as hot as they were as we've said , but crusaders at home before all them has to be three points to give us a good haul before we hit that spell of matches . Keep up this level and it'll take care of itself .

Edited by DavidM, 18 May 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#54 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

We need to maintain this good spell of form over the next 5 or 6 games to keep in the race for the 9. We have NW Crusaders(H); Leigh (H); Sheffield (A); Halifax (A); Fev (H) and Swinton (A) so it's going to take all we have to pick up points from those games. After that spell we have a number of "winnable" games so we have to hang in there.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#55 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

Got to back these efforts up next week with a win or they have less meaning . We've Leigh , Fax. , Sheffield and Fev to come - not saying we won't get points from them , but crusaders at home before all them has to be three points to give us a good haul before we hit that spell of matches . Keep up this level and it'll take care of itself .

I agree dave next sunday is a must win for me.

#56 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

And they're arguably the most unpredictable side in this unpredictable league ... Win at Haven and Fax and lose at home to Rochdale and Keighley ...

#57 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

There was no trouble. The few Town fans mixed with the Fev fans and shouted and made a lot of noise. Town were clapped off at the end by the Fev fans.

I'm not saying there was any today. The normanton game had plenty though

#58 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well done Workington that was your best effort for a number of years at Post Office Road; Your team was applauded off by the Featherstone fans; Get behind your team you are going up the table with that attitude; We (FEV ) will have to improve to get anything from Derwent Park;

#59 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

Was there anything from PV on the wireless ?

#60 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Up the town!! And shows the fev folk giving us the big ups there not these normanton fools and actually a rugby league club, looking forward to the return in a few weeks