Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town vs fev

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

Well done Workington that was your best effort for a number of years at Post Office Road; Your team was applauded off by the Featherstone fans; Get behind your team you are going up the table with that attitude; We (FEV ) will have to improve to get anything from Derwent Park;

thanx phil. I wasn't at the game today but given what we heard on the radio and fev fans comments it shows we are moving in the right direction. Best of luck for the season (except at DP)

Edited by town4me, 18 May 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#62 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

I wasn't at the game due to being in Manchester for the weekend for magic, sounds like we've played really well today hope we can build on the last few performances and get the 3 points next week!

#63 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Moore once again through the Town line and offload and Fev are now 22 - 14. A halfback that takes the line on - like gold dust. Two or three times we have been close to their line but a poor last tackle option has let us down.

you should go on our forum and facebook pages our fans want Moore out !! because he is one of the previous coaches signings !!
well played to your guys today they played better than any workington team at PO Road for many years and made it very difficult for us. We seemed to want to play you up the middle for some bizaare reason. Keep up the good form because you dont deserve to go down.

#64 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

you should go on our forum and facebook pages our fans want Moore out !! because he is one of the previous coaches signings !!
well played to your guys today they played better than any workington team at PO Road for many years and made it very difficult for us. We seemed to want to play you up the middle for some bizaare reason. Keep up the good form because you dont deserve to go down.

thanx deano

#65 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the comments Deano44. I was just going by the Radio Cumbria commentators comments where three or four times he said that Moore had just walked through a gap once to score and another to set up a try.

Hopefully we wont go down and that our lads can keep this form going from week to week. We are certainly improving under Phil Vievers and better still the players seem to like what he's doing as well.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#66 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

It is very expensive for you guys to travel so far every other week and there were seven or eight very vociferous Workington fans who did your club proud throughout the game; The town players came over to them after the game and they got an ovation from the Fev fans very rarely seen nowadays;

#67 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

Were we playing for the Billy Ivison Trophy yesterday or has that gone by the wayside now ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#68 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

I think it's safe to say Powell won't be available for town for a good while now. Blake green is out for 3 months. Be nice to get manfredi or gelling up this week but until charnley returns I can't see it. Maybe get charnley up the way gelling and burgess are playing.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#69 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

I think at this time looking at our squad the big improvement we have seen  from  LUPTON  @  FORBER since PHIL as been coach,i think getting  2 props and a centre are our most need now??

#70 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

Agreed. I've criticised Peter a few times on here but it shows what a difference it makes and what a good player he can be when he puts the effort in. Maybe he'd just lost interest and was going through the motions and the new coach has reignited his interest.

#71 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Yes the training now is a lot more intense  and a lot more physical, as well as the ball work he packs in a load of work into the couple of hours ,and it is just starting to show ,he seems that he is giving the lads more confidence in them selves ,well done PHIL

#72 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

I can't believe what I'm reading in the Star ....

Vievers won't bring in players for the sake of it, he's refusing players offered by Wigan and he's got them gutted they didn't beat Fax and Fev !!  ...and this is with a squad of 19 players. The guy's a genius!

I can't wait for Sunday.

#73 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Let's hope it brings a few players back to DP

#74 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

I think the most encouraging thing you hear from the players is how much there loving being properly coached at last instead of just doing fitness drills. Ive also heard from a number that he's a real hard ass and perfectionist and expects his players to be the same way. Which is exactly how it should be. I'm not a fan of when the coach is the players best mate and treating them that way. The head coach should be feared by the players and I think that's the way vievers has got it.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#75 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

I've heard the same . He's hot on stats and has some kind of computer program he's worked up to base things on . I like the no nonsense approach . He'll show players their stats and weaknesses in black n white ,and what to work on , and isn't afraid to tell it straight - like , you dropped it five times on Sunday , stop talking and get out there to work on it !! Very scientific by accounts and can back up what he says with figures . Individual plans for certain teams we play as well , and the role of players in different games . Apparently he drills in the value of a good start and ripping in early doors to get dominance . I like the way he goes about it and what he says .

Edited by DavidM, 20 May 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#76 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

It sounds like the Wigan way from what Shaun Wane said at the VP evening a few months back. He will get the best for his players but in return he demands the best from them. Wane said that they even video training sessions and woe betide anyone who tries to cheat their way through the sessions. If he asks for 25 press-ups and somebody does only 15 they are warned and the next time they will find themselves packing their bags. You can see on the TV how much the Wigan players love Wane as their coach and I'm sure Vievers is building up the same raport with our lads and making them better players.

Bobbie Goulding seems to have the same sort of ethos at Barrow. He dropped a player and many fans were questioning why as the player seemed to have a good game in the previous game. Goulding replied that the player had made 4 or 5 basic errors in that game besides the good things that the fans saw and he left him out of the team to work it out.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#77 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Karl was with the Commitments according to the Star ??