Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Best game of the season so far

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Today we were unlucky to lose. We played well today. Like a team. Blacks kicks always threatened and Hirst repeatedly sucked in 3/4 defenders creating space. Our defence was strong today and there were a few players out there who had their best game in a batley shirt. Great performance unlucky result.

#2 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 883 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

yep cracking game.plenty of effort all over the pitch,a lot a different things happening too for a change and just shows we do have things that can trouble teams as sheffield were sure rattled a few times,only thing that seperated the two sides was a couple of silly  mistakes at play a the ball by us and they scored off one of em. if they play like that every week that will do fine for me,some brave lads today for the dogs that did us proud,defence were decent and a couple a plays near the line to work on and am sure we stay in top 6. :bb:

#3 batley paul

batley paul
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Much much better performance.Now let's get behind the team!

#4 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Good to actually hear the batley fans for the first time this year.

#5 MrsK

MrsK
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

Totally agree. I left the ground feeling like we'd won. That is one of the best performances we've put in against Sheffield and I think it said it all that at the final hooter half the team were literally on their knees or arses. Today they showed belief. It was also good to see hirst in our defensive line. Looking forward to next week now.
MRSK

#6 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

Loved the game today. Felt like we'd won. Application and effort from 1-17 couldn't be faulted. Good to see Keegan play again and I was right next to his "try" that wasn't even considered by the ref. It was a try, the ball was on the floor before the ref called held. Same for the 'forward pass' try. At the absolute worst, it was a flat touch, but it looked to go plenty backwards for me.

Whoever was bagging Chandler just before half time should be ashamed. He's not given anything less than everything all season IMO.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#7 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

Was talking to someone today who heard touch judge shout 5th and last before sheffield scored there 3rd try. Merrick chose to ignore the call and allowed them a extra tackle to score what turned out to be the winning try.best perormance of the season unlucky not to win effort and comitment in a plenty just let down by poor officals again the only down side to a excellent performance .

#8 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

Merrick is a complete tool guys us at Dewsbury all now that from his shocking decision not send off a Leigh player and to send ours off last week.
Good effort from you guys today I see I'm sure you'll be safe . Dewsbury needs batley. Batley needs Dewsbury.

#9 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Merrick is a complete tool guys us at Dewsbury all now that from his shocking decision not send off a Leigh player and to send ours off last week.

I saw the highlights of the Dewsbury game last week.

Nothing surprised me.

Higson is one of the dirtiest players in our league. He went for the Rams player, didn't miss, gave himself away by looking guilty. The Rams player didn't even have the ball! It was a straight red. The following Rams red card was at most a yellow, for me it was a penalty and put on report at most.

Referees like Merrick always favour the bigger side. They want to ref at a higher level and keep their heads under the radar by not upsetting the bigger teams. This is stretching it and seems like sour grapes, but look at Robert Hicks. To this day, every time he runs onto a Super League game with his flag up, I'm reminded of the horrendous decision to send Daly Williams off for a tired lazy arm that was 100% at worst a penalty in the challenge cup game a few years ago.

I don't want to take away from our performance today. But I felt we didn't get the rub of the green in the critical decisions. I don't think the ref had a particularly bad game either, just got a couple decisions badly wrong.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#10 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

Much much better performance.Now let's get behind the team!

Can we repeat it next week at swinton?
Today's fantastic performance will be a complete waste of time if we don't.
"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#11 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

The decision lost us game last week. We were in control at 8 nil. Clueless Merrick is.

#12 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Nothing surprised me.

Higson is one of the dirtiest players in our league. He went for the Rams player, didn't miss, gave himself away by looking guilty. The Rams player didn't even have the ball! It was a straight red. The following Rams red card was at most a yellow, for me it was a penalty and put on report at most.

Referees like Merrick always favour the bigger side. They want to ref at a higher level and keep their heads under the radar by not upsetting the bigger teams. This is stretching it and seems like sour grapes, but look at Robert Hicks. To this day, every time he runs onto a Super League game with his flag up, I'm reminded of the horrendous decision to send Daly Williams off for a tired lazy arm that was 100% at worst a penalty in the challenge cup game a few years ago.

I don't want to take away from our performance today. But I felt we didn't get the rub of the green in the critical decisions. I don't think the ref had a particularly bad game either, just got a couple decisions badly wrong.

Merrick is shocking, he kept Dewsbury in the game last week by not policing the 10m and allowing the ptb to be slowed - refs need to understand its our money at the gate that  keeps clubs in business

#13 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

Pleased with today's efforts, really unlucky not to take all three points
Sheffield were hanging on grimly at the end
Spoke with mark Aston after and he agreed we were the better team although conceded that was our best chance of beating them
We'll played lads

#14 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Merrick is shocking, he kept Dewsbury in the game last week by not policing the 10m and allowing the ptb to be slowed - refs need to understand its our money at the gate that keeps clubs in business

Got to say Sheffield are masters of slowing the play the ball
Jeez it was tough to watch

Edited by Bat Lad, 18 May 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#15 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

The effort from the players today was excellent and Batley deserved the bonus point. The quality of Batley's play and lack of attacking ideas in the Sheffield '20' cost Batley the win.

Some of the positives today being Black getting another 80 minutes under his belt another couple of games and he should be match fit and the return of Griffin , Applegarth and Hirst.

Still alot of work/improvement needed if Batley are to finish in the top 9 especially with ball in hand but at least Batley have something to build on for the Swinton game. 

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#16 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

typcal- miss a game fearing we will have our backsides handed to us and we put a good shift in.

was stuck in hudds at a kids party with only sky sports to keep me sane.

well done boys the performance should work wonders within our fragile camp

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#17 binosh

binosh
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Nothing surprised me.

When teams cant compete at playing entertaining Rugby they play spoiling tactics like Dewsbury did last week, they spent more time trying to upset the Rhythm of Leigh they actually forgot they were in a rugby match.

Now take Doncaster today, our directors thanked the whole Doncaster team post match for their fantastic spirited effort to put on a Rugby League spectacle and they ran us close for a while on a big wide, dry, fast track, something Morrison's Dewsbury could not be bothered doing.

#18 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

When teams cant compete at playing entertaining Rugby they play spoiling tactics like Dewsbury did last week, they spent more time trying to upset the Rhythm of Leigh they actually forgot they were in a rugby match.

That's what Leythers always say and always complain about during games. The most one eyed fans in Rugby. The biggest moaners, most arrogantly entitled fans in the game.

Suggest other teams are spoilers, put out that Leigh are the best team, playing fantastic free flowing rugby and if you disagree it's because you're against free flowing good quality rugby.

And this is a Batley fan defending Dewsbury.

I'm glad that Leigh have done nothing for years, that both Fev and Sheffield (and us and Halifax) have done far better than them over the last few years.

Edited by PKK, 18 May 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#19 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Great effort from the team today and we could have sneaked a win if our attacking play was a little more inventive in Sheffields 25 we spent a lot of time there in the second half without putting points on the board kicks from Black or Leatherbarrow on the 6th being our best hope of winning. Our forwards were tremendous Keegan had a good game along with Applegarth and Chandler. Well worth the ovation at the end for effort and commitment but for me we still lack the Quality in atack to keep us up.  We lost at home again a bonus point our only reward. We still need recruits in the backs i feel if we are to keep our place in this division. Will we ever beat sheffield in the league again ?. I think it is 23-24 games now since we did , i felt today was a terrific chance as Sheffield made a lot of errors and were made to look ordinery our defence was brutal at times great to see. Massive game for us next week and i feel we must win to halt the run of defeats. Lets hope so. 

#20 binosh

binosh
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

That's what Leythers always say and always complain about during games. The most one eyed fans in Rugby. The biggest moaners, most arrogantly entitled fans in the game.

Suggest other teams are spoilers, put out that Leigh are the best team, playing fantastic free flowing rugby and if you disagree it's because you're against free flowing good quality rugby.

And this is a Batley fan defending Dewsbury.

I'm glad that Leigh have done nothing for years, that both Fev and Sheffield (and us and Halifax) have done far better than them over the last few years.

That is a fair old opinion and one that you are entitled to, I like Batley, my mate Nico plays for you guys, but the last few years mean nothing and I am happy to forego the last few years to finish top this year and have a crack at the middle 8 next year, don't be so bitter.

I would be upset if I was a Batley fan this year so chin up, there's always next year in Championship 1.

Anyway, the last 7 words of your first sentence don't make "good England" I will just put it down to you being so angry you cant type fast enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users