Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Best game of the season so far

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

there's always next year in Championship 1.

I always forgot what fools certain Leythers can be until they have something to crow about. Don't worry, your boom and bust way of running the club will soon have you on your uppers again then you can crawl under your rock again for a few seasons like you always have to!

#22 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

Anyway, the last 7 words of your first sentence don't make "good England" I will just put it down to you being so angry you cant type fast enough.

Not wanting to troll, but I'm fairly sure the last seven words of my first sentence are reasonably good England. ;)
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#23 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,057 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

Merrick is shocking, he kept Dewsbury in the game last week by not policing the 10m and allowing the ptb to be slowed - refs need to understand its our money at the gate that keeps clubs in business

Troll alert!!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#24 binosh

binosh
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

I always forgot what fools certain Leythers can be until they have something to crow about. Don't worry, your boom and bust way of running the club will soon have you on your uppers again then you can crawl under your rock again for a few seasons like you always have to!

As previously stated I like Batley, unfortunately no matter what teams go through to get to the top, there Is always somebody willing to try and knock you down. Last year we all disliked Fev, this year its Leigh, I was a bit jealous when you guys knocked us out of the playoffs every time over the previous few years.

How times change...................

#25 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,057 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

That is a fair old opinion and one that you are entitled to, I like Batley, my mate Nico plays for you guys, but the last few years mean nothing and I am happy to forego the last few years to finish top this year and have a crack at the middle 8 next year, don't be so bitter.

I would be upset if I was a Batley fan this year so chin up, there's always next year in Championship 1.

Anyway, the last 7 words of your first sentence don't make "good England" I will just put it down to you being so angry you cant type fast enough.

You have to wonder why certain Leigh fans spend all of their time monitoring other forums for anything anti-Leigh don't you? Citizen Smith might have found this to be all too familiar.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#26 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

As previously stated I like Batley, unfortunately no matter what teams go through to get to the top, there Is always somebody willing to try and knock you down. Last year we all disliked Fev.....

Is that the royal "we", or just you Leythers? No one round here dislikes Fev, I'm fairly sure of that.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#27 binosh

binosh
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

Is that the royal "we", or just you Leythers? No one round here dislikes Fev, I'm fairly sure of that.

"around here"

#28 Terry Chimes

Terry Chimes
  • Coach
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

As previously stated I like Batley, unfortunately no matter what teams go through to get to the top, there Is always somebody willing to try and knock you down. Last year we all disliked Fev, this year its Leigh, I was a bit jealous when you guys knocked us out of the playoffs every time over the previous few years.

I find trolling like this both unnecessary and amusing.

2006. We knock Leigh out of the play offs in ending thier chances of bouncing straight back into Super League after being relegated with a colossal 5 points.

2009. Batley stayed up and sent Leigh down to what is now 'Championship 1' on there last day of the season. Only Gateshead's mismanagement and a more than generous ruling by the RFL allowed them to stay up.

2010. A Grand Final appearance or Northern Rail Cup victory needed to apply for a SL License, Batley pull down Leigh's very expensively assembled underpants in the NRC semi at the LSV ending thier SL dreams.

2013. Batley pull down Leigh's expensively assembled y-fronts yet again at the LSV with a golden point victory to heart breakingly end their season.

Nothing to gloat about yet old sport, still just a small town in Wigan. Just a touch bitter about 'little' Batley I reckon.

Get back to life under your bridge you sorry little troll.

#29 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

Well done today.

It was a great performance from everybody who wore the shirt.

One or two poor decisions from the man in the middle, but it was in my opinion by far the best performance so far this season.

Onwards and upwards.

#30 Terry Chimes

Terry Chimes
  • Coach
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Most enjoyable game of the year so far. A terrific effort and so, so close. Need a lot, lot more in the oppostion 20 with ball in hand.

Wishful thinking maybe, although Misi Talapapa - horrible and deliberate cannon ball shot on Alex Brown kidneys. Pushed Griffin out onto the wing and he would have gobbled up the chance Chandler nearly took.

Effort like that for the rest of the season and we should be okay, but we desperately need to sharpen up our attacking execution and do so quickly.

#31 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I think we need to further up our attacking game Terry, but this is the closest we've come to beating our bogey side in years. I don't think it's desperate, I think it's naturally evolving, especially with Black back. Getting local lad Keegan on board might have seemed like an odd move, but he's an absolute handful and I'd never properly appreciated his defensive qualities before. I'm massively confident we'll do Swinton next week.

#32 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

"around here"

Sorry, it's Yorkshire dialect. I know the people on the wrong side of the Pennines might long for that identity and heritage but I can't help that. :)

#33 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.  You need to be made aware that your own punctuation and grammar is not of a standard that entitles you to criticise the English of others. Just for starters, your first phrase should read "As previously stated, I like Batley".  Also, Batley in that context, without further qualification, would automatically be taken, by the proficient reader of English, to refer to the place Batley.  Ironic isn't it?

#34 Flattopper

Flattopper
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

And...."I will just put it down to you being so angry"....should read "youR being so angry"

It's perhaps not a bad idea to run your response through a spelling & grammar check when you're criticizing someone else's "GOOD ENGLAND" (???!!!!). I'd also suggest a semi-colon, at minimum, between "England" and "I will...", although that's perhaps a bit waspand of me.

And this is a Dewsbury fan defending a Batley fan.

We may spend the bulk of our time knocking, even viciously insulting, one another's teams, but we do tend to come together when some Tudor supporter, from "T'wrong side utt Pennines", starts to interfere in our post-Plantagenet incestuous squabbles. My old French teacher was a Lancastrian, that's why, to this day, I have so many problems conversing with our ungrateful southern neighbours across La Manche, who have such a phobia about speaking England!  No, I'm not xenophobic, I just don't trust incomers.

Swinggg it to the  winggger!

#35 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

I find trolling like this both unnecessary and amusing.

2006. We knock Leigh out of the play offs in ending thier chances of bouncing straight back into Super League after being relegated with a colossal 5 points.

2009. Batley stayed up and sent Leigh down to what is now 'Championship 1' on there last day of the season. Only Gateshead's mismanagement and a more than generous ruling by the RFL allowed them to stay up.

2010. A Grand Final appearance or Northern Rail Cup victory needed to apply for a SL License, Batley pull down Leigh's very expensively assembled underpants in the NRC semi at the LSV ending thier SL dreams.

2013. Batley pull down Leigh's expensively assembled y-fronts yet again at the LSV with a golden point victory to heart breakingly end their season.

Nothing to gloat about yet old sport, still just a small town in Wigan. Just a touch bitter about 'little' Batley I reckon.

Get back to life under your bridge you sorry little troll.

Mainly correct on the facts except 2013's squad being expensive - it certainly was not and probably less than yours, that's the year our owners sold our soul and went with a tiny squad on the basis that to get out of the mess from 2011 saving money was the only option.

The great news is that this years expensively assembled squad still has cap space if needed, and we have well over 2000 paying to watch, thats about 4 of your current home gates btw

You, the town of Batley, really need to back the efforts of that very honourable chairman of years in greater numbers before its too late

#36 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 605 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

I agree we do need to get behind our chairman, coach, and players.

#37 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

Mainly correct on the facts except 2013's squad being expensive - it certainly was not and probably less than yours, that's the year our owners sold our soul and went with a tiny squad on the basis that to get out of the mess from 2011 saving money was the only option.

The great news is that this years expensively assembled squad still has cap space if needed, and we have well over 2000 paying to watch, thats about 4 of your current home gates btw

You, the town of Batley, really need to back the efforts of that very honourable chairman of years in greater numbers before its too late

Your right Craig, we dont need to get involved with other teams arguments about your game, good luck but onwards and upwards for the Bulldogs.

Edited by Bat Lad, 19 May 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#38 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

Very pleased with the effort and commitment of the players, but the lack of finishing ability is still a bit worrying - Sheffield were very poor and there for the taking but we seemed pretty clueless as usual near the line.

Is Scott Leatherbarrow as bad a scrum half as he appears, or does he just lack confidence?

Overall very pleased as its that kind of effort that could keep us up, but our lack of quality near the line could prove our undoing.

Massive 6 pointer next week, lets hope for more of the same effort.

Edited by buford t justice, 19 May 2014 - 11:29 AM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#39 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

Is Scott Leatherbarrow as bad a scrum half as he appears, or does he just lack confidence?

If he didn't lack confidence before, he will now.  I often feel some sympathy for your views, BTJ, but the kind of comment quoted above is simply self-fulfilling and cannot help in any way.  Naming someone as a bad player can hardly fill them with self-confidence or motivation.

#40 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

much improved performance in terms of intensity thought every player gave his all in sweltering conditions. it felt good to be a batley fan again and the players looked fitter and more aggressive in defence. keep up the good work lads performances like that will bring wins and much needed points to climb back up the table. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users