Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Best game of the season so far

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

If he didn't lack confidence before, he will now.  I often feel some sympathy for your views, BTJ, but the kind of comment quoted above is simply self-fulfilling and cannot help in any way.  Naming someone as a bad player can hardly fill them with self-confidence or motivation.

cant see the point bulling players up if there  not putting in the effort,i wernt sure on leatherbarrow as at the keighley game end a last season when he knew he were coming to us he should have had a blinding game but he looked well out of sorts, his constand dinks over to nobody in some a the games got tiresome and he looked naff at times, BUT hes starting to come along and try different things now blackies back to aim him a bit so i think he will be ok, also they looked a lot better yesterday as a unit and really put 100% into the game so that will do me, i doubt whats said on here gets players down and to be fair best way to shut folks up is to simply go out and have a massive game, i did hear a lot a fans shouting that we rubbish up near the doghouse and dont know were that came from after the effort put in by the whole squad, only thing missing was a couple a decent plays in the 20 to have a players deeper and more pace so as to score,i know keegan had a decent game but his fairure to play the ball correctly gave eagles the ball and they scored 2 plays later,all little things that if they stay together now might just kick on once jc is back am sure we will be ok,one minute were told dont look as were not getting nobody else in this season then were told another ball handlers on his way back to us so who knows what the nest few games will bring,  proud to be a dog fan yesterday and winning aint everything. :bb: :download:

Edited by silverback, 19 May 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#42 batley paul

batley paul
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Well said Olddoggy. We need to be backing the players, not trying to humiliate them on a public forum.

#43 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

If he didn't lack confidence before, he will now. I often feel some sympathy for your views, BTJ, but the kind of comment quoted above is simply self-fulfilling and cannot help in any way. Naming someone as a bad player can hardly fill them with self-confidence or motivation.

I wasnt aware we were no longer allowed to debate the form of individual players any more.

When did this rule change?

This thread is about the game yesterday and IMO he was by far the weakest link in the team yesterday, and as i pay my money im entitled to mention it.

So far this season Its unclear to me whether he is simply low on confidence or not good enough at this level, so i was merely opening it up for discussion.

I cant be the only one who's noticed this.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#44 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Well said Olddoggy. We need to be backing the players, not trying to humiliate them on a public forum.

How is that 'humiliating' anyone? Its merely an observation.

#45 LuckyDog

LuckyDog
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

I agree with much of the thread. We looked aggressive all game, got in their faces, and felt that we had somebody in control on the pitch (Blacky). It was much, much better. However, I never really saw us winning, and had that familiar Sheffield feeling when we took the 2 points in the first half - did we knock on from the restart too?

We are so frustrating near their line, we threw it out wide once and scored, and on another occasion Breth looked to have dropped a real chance. Otherwise, it was just the usual down the middle. Our high kicks looked dangerous yesterday, but after weeks of rain and wind and the kicks into space, the bomb looks a lot less threatening in sunshine.

Its going to take some big performances quickly to avoid the relegation scrap come August time. Nearly every side got a point yesterday, and every game has the look of a real battle. Looking forward to another trip to LSV though next week, 3 points and no bonus points allowed please.

#46 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

i thought Leatherbarrow played ok this week. he took the line on more than usual. I think he will be ok now Blackie is back..

I also heard an old guy moaning that we deserve to go down if we stand by Kear and his team, and that he was glad he doesnt pay in anymore?? what is that all about? We dont need fans like that especially when they dont even pay their way (and clearly didnt watch the game and/or see the effort).

and dont give me that rubbish that he might have payed for 40 years. My grandad still pays his way (Home and Away) and he's 85 and been watching batley every year since he was about 6 years old.

If we play like we did this sunday every week I believe we could be looking at maybe 6 wins out of the next 7 games?

#47 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

BTJ - on most of your threads  you are criticising somone , not saying you aren't allowed a debate... but the lad will come good now Blackie who has plenty of experience at side of him is back plus with forwards starting to dominate which allows the half backs a bit more space to weave some magic as until last two games in most games our forwards were getting monstered.

BTW would your confidence be on the positive if there was a public forum that allowed your workmates or anyone that could see what work you were doing and was critical of your every move and saying you shouldn't be in the job and that you was ######  ... think on

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#48 batley paul

batley paul
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Thank you Redditch bulldog...my sentiment exactly.

#49 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

BTJ - on most of your threads you are criticising somone , not saying you aren't allowed a debate... but the lad will come good now Blackie who has plenty of experience at side of him is back plus with forwards starting to dominate which allows the half backs a bit more space to weave some magic as until last two games in most games our forwards were getting monstered.

BTW would your confidence be on the positive if there was a public forum that allowed your workmates or anyone that could see what work you were doing and was critical of your every move and saying you shouldn't be in the job and that you was ###### ... think on

Id argue that it comes with the territory of being a professional sportsman and if you look on all the forums of other clubs in all sports, you'll find numerous threads discussing the ability of players.

Id also argue im not over critical, just a realist and say it how i see it and am honest and forthright in my views.

My opinion is based on him as a rugby player, not as a person, im sure hes a nice lad - i think you are confusing this somewhat.

Anyway back to the actual topic - Pleased we are showing signs of improvement and hope Leatherbarrow gets better as the weeks go by.

#50 Butler

Butler
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Was talking to someone today who heard touch judge shout 5th and last before sheffield scored there 3rd try. Merrick chose to ignore the call and allowed them a extra tackle to score what turned out to be the winning try.best perormance of the season unlucky not to win effort and comitment in a plenty just let down by poor officals again the only down side to a excellent performance .

It isn't up to the touch judge to shout what tackle it is. The ref will have known what tackle it was.

#51 Butler

Butler
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Was talking to someone today who heard touch judge shout 5th and last before sheffield scored there 3rd try. Merrick chose to ignore the call and allowed them a extra tackle to score what turned out to be the winning try.best perormance of the season unlucky not to win effort and comitment in a plenty just let down by poor officals again the only down side to a excellent performance .

It isn't up to the touch judge to shout what tackle it is. The ref will have known what tackle it was.

#52 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

This is true but if the ref as lost count why not let him know. As i said 7 tackles in the set which they scored in yet again ###### officals . Yes i said it but all the championship is full of is officals that are not fit for super league or as being taught to ref by someone in the stands to fast track them to super league . Ie thierry albert joke . Who remembers ashly kline when we played hunslet years ago couldnt make a decsion till ref in the stands told him . Yes he is now one of the top refs in the world . My point is is the championship a nursery for up and comming refs l
Learning their trade at our expense week in week out. Or just for refs deemed not good enough for super league.

#53 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

How is that 'humiliating' anyone? Its merely an observation.

well mark fortis used the humiliation tactics very well with his u 14s a few years back,if he thought they dident play up to what he knew they could play they were dropped off bottom a 606 on way home or top a mad mile to walk back to moor,they sure played better week after thats for sure,players dont need telling when they have played pap as they know themselves, am sure the cheers worked wonders sunday for the lads and those shouting that they were rubbish should hang there heads in shame.

#54 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

This is not a niggle or point scoring but was your attendance actually exactly 500 again?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#55 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with those saying it was our best show by a mile so far. Admit was never a great fan of Hirst as I thought that for his size he was never coming on to the ball enough to make a bust, was usually going from a standing start, but would also agree that he was a collosus in the tackling department. Applegarth makes a world of difference when he plays, but he's been unlucky with so many injuries that he and the team have never benefitted. Now, Leatherbarrow; of 4 pre-season, 2 cupties and 11 league games, (not forgetting that he actually played once at full back) he has had Leek, Davies, Simon Brown, Black and Connor at his side, that's an average of a man every 3 games to build up any understanding with. When Black came on v Whitehaven Leatherbarrow played better, and the general opinion is that yesterday with Black again his game picked up again. He's a good player, kicks better in open play than Moore did, at least he's pulled out a few 40/20's, so game by game the partnership is bound to improve. If we can keep a couple of loan players long enough to start some spirit moving again, (thanks Alex Brown, hope Leigh don't need him back, performs every week, unlike Trout who never showed that he'd played Super League in my opinion) then we're bound to improve. Also hope that the Leigh banter stays tongue in cheek, yes we did 'em in a couple of important games, but they've also given us a couple of hidings over the last 2/3 years. That they are a class side this year is to their credit, and shouldn't be an excuse for jealous jibing. How many of us would have liked our sides to be in that class in this important year? They've built in expectation of a good position in the new set up and good luck to them.

#56 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

If he didn't lack confidence before, he will now.  I often feel some sympathy for your views, BTJ, but the kind of comment quoted above is simply self-fulfilling and cannot help in any way.  Naming someone as a bad player can hardly fill them with self-confidence or motivation.

I do not see how one post on  Leatherbarrow's  performance will effect a players confidence. 

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#57 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

I have a message for the coaching staff this week . To build on the improved display can they practice some moves in the final 20 to get over the whitewash, as at the moment we only have the chip for the corner on the last . Or when Miles Greenwood plays passing  the  ball inside to him. We are still only scoring two tries a game on average and that will not win enough games to keep us up. We had countless plays in the Sheffield 20 in the second half only scoring once . Am saying here what a lot of fans think so lets not have the negative tag please. I think we are the third lowest scoring team in our Div. Why cant we move the ball from touchline to touchline why not pass behind dummy runners occasionally. We need more tries which means more points which will save our championship place See you all Sunday when we take on Swinton 3pts. please  

Edited by greavesy, 19 May 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#58 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with those saying it was our best show by a mile so far. Admit was never a great fan of Hirst as I thought that for his size he was never coming on to the ball enough to make a bust, was usually going from a standing start, but would also agree that he was a collosus in the tackling department. Applegarth makes a world of difference when he plays, but he's been unlucky with so many injuries that he and the team have never benefitted. Now, Leatherbarrow; of 4 pre-season, 2 cupties and 11 league games, (not forgetting that he actually played once at full back) he has had Leek, Davies, Simon Brown, Black and Connor at his side, that's an average of a man every 3 games to build up any understanding with. When Black came on v Whitehaven Leatherbarrow played better, and the general opinion is that yesterday with Black again his game picked up again. He's a good player, kicks better in open play than Moore did, at least he's pulled out a few 40/20's, so game by game the partnership is bound to improve. If we can keep a couple of loan players long enough to start some spirit moving again, (thanks Alex Brown, hope Leigh don't need him back, performs every week, unlike Trout who never showed that he'd played Super League in my opinion) then we're bound to improve. Also hope that the Leigh banter stays tongue in cheek, yes we did 'em in a couple of important games, but they've also given us a couple of hidings over the last 2/3 years. That they are a class side this year is to their credit, and shouldn't be an excuse for jealous jibing. How many of us would have liked our sides to be in that class in this important year? They've built in expectation of a good position in the new set up and good luck to them.

trout who has played a number of super league games? I doubt he is a super league star yet.. I'd love to have his team mate walshaw now he is class a decent centre in a poor wakey side

#59 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

I do not see how one post on  Leatherbarrow's  performance will effect a players confidence. 

Trev its not just the one comment , there have been several about him on various threads and yep before the t'internet i got the fork by ricky winterbottom for shouting get off the park you're ###### at cardiff quite a few years ago . problem is with social media its very easy to pass comments on people and hide behind a key board and post whatever without thinking what effect on the person its thrown at

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#60 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Trev its not just the one comment , there have been several about him on various threads and yep before the t'internet i got the fork by ricky winterbottom for shouting get off the park you're ###### at cardiff quite a few years ago . problem is with social media its very easy to pass comments on people and hide behind a key board and post whatever without thinking what effect on the person its thrown at

I know BTJ very well Reditch and he would not hide behind a keyboard he has a oppinion which is what mssge boards are for . Like the rest of us he is a true supporter worried about our team getting relegated. A real threat if i may say so. The "lets get behind em" or "onward and upward brigade" may not agree but as BTJ says its a forum .  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users