Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Photographer

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

How could anyone ever become an accredited photographer?

You cannot take photos at Superleague matches unless you are accredited.

You cannot become accredited unless you have shown proof that you have taken photographs at Superleague matches and have had them published.

Sounds like a closed club.  What happens when the current photographers retire / die?

One way in is get an organisation to apply on your behalf, papers such as the Manchester Evening News who's picture editor is (or certainly was) a really helpful lady from Barrow apply on behalf of the freelance photographers they will be commissioning work from.  There's plenty of agencies about who you can also approach.

The alternative is to bust a gut, start off in the conferences, try and find a local paper still paying for work or agency wanting games covered and head up that way, the RFL don't like free papers though so even if there paying there unlikely to count as part of your accreditation as I understand it so don't pin your hopes on one of those.

Far from being a closed shop, I'd imagine there is no shortage of photos from any Super League fixture to meet current demand and I can't remember the last Championship game I went to were there wasn't at least 3 or 4 snappers.  Which considering the amount of potential outlets for photos must be near saturation point!

#22 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

How could anyone ever become an accredited photographer?

You cannot take photos at Superleague matches unless you are accredited.

You cannot become accredited unless you have shown proof that you have taken photographs at Superleague matches and have had them published.

Sounds like a closed club.  What happens when the current photographers retire / die?

You can become accredited by getting attached to an agency and then going freelance, its not as hard as you might think

#23 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Yes, the Conferences first, then get linked to a club offering your services for free as a club photographer. You can then sell your photos onto trade papers then hopefully get involved with Super League. I know our photographer Ian Lovell did something like that.

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#24 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yes, the Conferences first, then get linked to a club offering your services for free as a club photographer. You can then sell your photos onto trade papers then hopefully get involved with Super League. I know our photographer Ian Lovell did something like that.

I don't want to sell, I don't want to make money out of it.

HW

#25 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

I don't want to sell, I don't want to make money out of it.

HW

Then put the bleeding thing away and watch the game

#26 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Yes that is more or less exactly it. From starting at Cardiff Demons in 2004, to Crusaders from inception now at Scorpions. Also cover all levels of the Welsh national sides from Under 16 to first xiii. Highlight photographing the boys at Wembley in the 2011 Four Nations.

I cover my costs with sales to League Express, I don't need to make it a career having a decent day job.

Still covering Welsh Conference games too.

#27 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Then put the bleeding thing away and watch the game

Do professional photographers feel threatened if amateurs turn up with professional equipment?

I cannot see any problem with Haven Warrior taking pictures if that's what floats his boat.

#28 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

Do professional photographers feel threatened if amateurs turn up with professional equipment?

I cannot see any problem with Haven Warrior taking pictures if that's what floats his boat.

Im not a professional so i cant answer your question, i genuinley dont see the problem either but i dont make the bleedin rules, the rules even hinder what freelancers or professionals can earn, the rules have personally cost me in the region of thousands of pounds in potential print sales, but they are the rules, simple really, abide by them or be prepared to be challenged about breaking them. 

Any further questions should be aimed at John Ledger who runs the RFL Media dept but you'll rightly get this sort of reply

"Once again please note we are unable to offer RFL accreditation to fans websites, family members, household pets, girlfriends or that nice bloke who sometimes gives you a lift to the game. "

Edited by Gary Coyle, 21 May 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#29 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

The thing is you don't need professional kit to get a decent photo that is good enough for the local (or national) rags to use, if the content is interesting enough. Magazine quality steps it up a notch and advertising quality up another.

Is the RFL going to insist that all mobile phones, tablets, compact cameras etc. are left at the turnstiles, could you imagine the uproar if they banned mobile phones because you may take an image that is sell-able with it.

If a player's image rights are infringed its up to the player to sue the publisher and photographer, the RFL are going to find harder and harder to regulate as technology moves faster and faster into total integration and image quality of phones and budget cameras gets better.

I can understand pro-photographers feeling threatened if some Joe in the stand can get a half decent shot from the terrace and flog it for less than the going rate. However no job is immune to attack from technology. The pro (including ones who sell but it is not their main job) have to up their game to compete and find new markets and produce quality and content that just isn't available from the competition.

This sort of thing has gone on in all the digital arena's.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#30 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

The pro (including ones who sell but it is not their main job) have to up their game to compete and find new markets and produce quality and content that just isn't available from the competition.

Go on then Padge i'll bite, just exactly how does a "pro" up his game when he already invests in the very best equipment available and already sells to ALL the available markets that exist, in case you didnt know RL Photography is a relatively Niche market which is already over saturated.

To be honest, none of the currently accredited photographers i know give a hoot about Joe Public in the stands with his gear, they certainly aren't threatened by them as theres little or nothing they can do with their images which would impact on the accredited photographers income stream, what does irk a lot of accredited guys is the accredited guys who simply dont have anywhere to sell their images because of the oversaturation at games, ive quit the game now, too many "accredited" photographers scrapping for the bits which fall off the table, its really annoying when you turn up week in week out struggling to earn a bob or 2 then when the big games come along some guys get knocked back with their applications because the RFL pander to the likes of Getty who only ever turn up for the big games

Its also annoying when you see some of the dross printed by the RL papers

If anything is required its that the RFL clamp down even harder on handing out accreditations willy nilly, im No 106 accredited photographer this season and ive seen numbers as high as 170, just how many of these guys can actually be working with an outlet for their images????

Like i say, ive quit and i make much more money shooting Juniors on Sunday mornings than i ever did shooting at Headingley, Cas, Huddersfield etc, etc and its easier as theres no restrictions imposed by the RFL, theres also literally hundreds of games to choose from.

Edited by Gary Coyle, 22 May 2014 - 05:45 AM.

#31 robt

robt
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

Go on then Padge i'll bite, just exactly how does a "pro" up his game when he already invests in the very best equipment available and already sells to ALL the available markets that exist, in case you didnt know RL Photography is a relatively Niche market which is already over saturated.

To be honest, none of the currently accredited photographers i know give a hoot about Joe Public in the stands with his gear, they certainly aren't threatened by them as theres little or nothing they can do with their images which would impact on the accredited photographers income stream, what does irk a lot of accredited guys is the accredited guys who simply dont have anywhere to sell their images because of the oversaturation at games, ive quit the game now, too many "accredited" photographers scrapping for the bits which fall off the table, its really annoying when you turn up week in week out struggling to earn a bob or 2 then when the big games come along some guys get knocked back with their applications because the RFL pander to the likes of Getty who only ever turn up for the big games

Its also annoying when you see some of the dross printed by the RL papers

If anything is required its that the RFL clamp down even harder on handing out accreditations willy nilly, im No 106 accredited photographer this season and ive seen numbers as high as 170, just how many of these guys can actually be working with an outlet for their images????

Like i say, ive quit and i make much more money shooting Juniors on Sunday mornings than i ever did shooting at Headingley, Cas, Huddersfield etc, etc and its easier as theres no restrictions imposed by the RFL, theres also literally hundreds of games to choose from.

Well put Gary.

I can't remember my pass number this year, but its definitely in the 3 figures. I know its slightly different for us club guys compared to the likes of the agency guys, but there does seem to be a lot more media getting involved.

Rob Terrace - Matchday Photographer / Highlights 'editor', Doncaster RLFC.

#32 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Why if search stock images do you get so few RL hits and then its nearly always London.

Simon Wilkinson shows what can be done with this, not the classic action shot but...

http://simonwilkinso...ADEJJlw-&GI_ID=

Edited by Padge, 22 May 2014 - 06:06 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Well put Gary.

I can't remember my pass number this year, but its definitely in the 3 figures. I know its slightly different for us club guys compared to the likes of the agency guys, but there does seem to be a lot more media getting involved.

The game needs more media involvment. The biggest whinge everywhere is the lack of media involvement with RL.

200 accredited photographers is about 14 per game, for your average run of the mill game there are about 3 to the ones I go to, so it seems to me that photographers a checking they accredited so that they can ensure they are able to do the big games. Most of those two hundred probably only look to do the prestige games.

#34 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Why if search stock images do you get so few RL hits and then its nearly always London.

Simon Wilkinson shows what can be done with this, not the classic action shot but...

I don't think accredited snappers can sell through stock sites, pretty much limited to selling straight to the media.

The game needs more media involvment. The biggest whinge everywhere is the lack of media involvement with RL.

200 accredited photographers is about 14 per game, for your average run of the mill game there are about 3 to the ones I go to, so it seems to me that photographers a checking they accredited so that they can ensure they are able to do the big games. Most of those two hundred probably only look to do the prestige games.

There won't be many games at the DW this season with 3 snappers I'd reckon on at least 6 or 7 on average for regular season games.

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

I don't think accredited snappers can sell through stock sites, pretty much limited to selling straight to the media.

There won't be many games at the DW this season with 3 snappers I'd reckon on at least 6 or 7 on average for regular season games.

They can sell for editorial I understand, I could be wrong but London Bronquins have photos on stock sites and others do but are rarer.

As for the numbers at Wigan I have rarely noticed more than 4/5 at the DW.

I'm not having a go at the guys pitch-side. I'm having a go at the RFL for failing to acknowledge that photography is no different to other digital outlets and changing fast. If the rule is no cameras on the terraces and in the stands then ban mobile phones from being brought into the ground. The photographers pitch-side just have to realise that they are going to be challenged on the technology front, if they want to be earning from it run of the mill try shots may not be what is needed.

#36 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Check out the Ground Regulations.

They can sell for editorial I understand, I could be wrong but London Bronquins have photos on stock sites and others do but are rarer.

I'm not having a go at the guys pitch-side. I'm having a go at the RFL for failing to acknowledge that photography is no different to other digital outlets and changing fast. If the rule is no cameras on the terraces and in the stands then ban mobile phones from being brought into the ground. The photographers pitch-side just have to realise that they are going to be challenged on the technology front, if they want to be earning from it run of the mill try shots may not be what is needed.

This is extracted from Shuddersfield Giants:

16. Mobile telephones are permitted within the Ground, provided that they are used for personal and private use only PROVIDED THAT no audio, visual or audio-visual material captured by a mobile telephone may be published or otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites.

19. Save as set out in paragraph 16 above, no person (other than a person who holds an appropriate licence) may bring into the Ground or use within the Ground any equipment, which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any information or data in relation to the Match or the Ground. Copyright, database rights and any other intellectual property rights in any unauthorised recording or transmission is assigned (by way of present assignment of future rights to the Club, the RFL and The Football League. You further agree (if and whenever required to do so by the Club and/or The RFL) to promptly execute all instruments and do all things necessary to vest the right, title and interest in such rights to the Club and The RFL absolutely and with full title guarantee

Wigun:

16. With the exemption of persons authorised by the Club management and press representatives holding official passes, the taking of photographs or use of video equipment inside the ground is prohibited. In addition, no recording for radio, television or private purposes, whether for transmission or otherwise is permitted, save with a special authorisation in writing by the Club management.

Halifax:

16. Mobile telephones are permitted within the Ground, provided that they are used for personal and private use only PROVIDED THAT no audio, visual or audio - visual material captured by a mobile telephone may be published or
otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites.

19. Save as set out in paragraph 16 above, no person (other than a person who holds an appropriate licence) may bring into the Ground or use within the Ground any equipment, which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any information or data in relation to the Match or the Ground. Copyright, database rights and any other intellectual property rights in any unauthorised recording or transmission is assigned (by way of present assignment of future rights to the Club, the RFL and The Football League.
You further agree (if and whenever required to do so by the Club and/or The RFL) to promptly execute all instruments and do all things necessary to vest the right, title and interest in such rights to the Club and The RFL absolutely and with full title guarantee

Edited by Manx RL, 23 May 2014 - 12:42 PM.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#37 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

Check out the Ground Regulations.

This is extracted from Shuddersfield Giants:

16. Mobile telephones are permitted within the Ground, provided that they are used for personal and private use only PROVIDED THAT no audio, visual or audio-visual material captured by a mobile telephone may be published or otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites.

19. Save as set out in paragraph 16 above, no person (other than a person who holds an appropriate licence) may bring into the Ground or use within the Ground any equipment, which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any information or data in relation to the Match or the Ground. Copyright, database rights and any other intellectual property rights in any unauthorised recording or transmission is assigned (by way of present assignment of future rights to the Club, the RFL and The Football League. You further agree (if and whenever required to do so by the Club and/or The RFL) to promptly execute all instruments and do all things necessary to vest the right, title and interest in such rights to the Club and The RFL absolutely and with full title guarantee

Wigun:

16. With the exemption of persons authorised by the Club management and press representatives holding official passes, the taking of photographs or use of video equipment inside the ground is prohibited. In addition, no recording for radio, television or private purposes, whether for transmission or otherwise is permitted, save with a special authorisation in writing by the Club management.

Halifax:

16. Mobile telephones are permitted within the Ground, provided that they are used for personal and private use only PROVIDED THAT no audio, visual or audio - visual material captured by a mobile telephone may be published or
otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites.

19. Save as set out in paragraph 16 above, no person (other than a person who holds an appropriate licence) may bring into the Ground or use within the Ground any equipment, which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any information or data in relation to the Match or the Ground. Copyright, database rights and any other intellectual property rights in any unauthorised recording or transmission is assigned (by way of present assignment of future rights to the Club, the RFL and The Football League.
You further agree (if and whenever required to do so by the Club and/or The RFL) to promptly execute all instruments and do all things necessary to vest the right, title and interest in such rights to the Club and The RFL absolutely and with full title guarantee

I know these daft regulations exist.

So why don't they enforce the rules, I see loads of people all the time taking photos with mobiles and never see a jobsworth asking them to stop. 

Its like having a regulation that says do not boo the opposition.

#38 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

Wilkinsons are official RFL photographers and have 3 guys at the big games with one of them specifically looking for "arty" type photos for use by the RFL in future ad campaigns, even i had taken that photo no one would ever have bought it so whats the point.

Wilkinsons thmselves are partly responsible for other guys struggling to make a living, a few years ago during the 4 nations over here with Aus and Nz wilkinsons got the blessing of RFL themselves to gve away every image they took free of charge, Wilkinsons were happy, the RFL paid them, the papers were happy, they got every single image they printed free, guess who were the only ones to lose out

Edited by Gary Coyle, 24 May 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#39 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

Christ, what run of the mill games do you go to, i regularly attended run of the mill games with 12 photographers there, i can only assume youre talking Championship and below, get yourself to Warrington, they have a posse of 5 who go to every single home or away game, i honestly dont think ive been to a game where there has been less than 8 in attendance

#40 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Again Padge, your figures are way way out, even Shrek is being conservative, i can name you 10 who attend every single Wigan game without exception

If the Broncos have images on stock sites they are breaking the terms and conditions and are looking for trouble, however, no one cares so they get away with it

Unfortunatly run of the mill try shots and the usual celebration and action shot is what they want so its what they are given

I really dont see where you are coming from with the guy in the stand challenging the guy pitchside, the guy in the stand simply cant sell him images anywhere to anyone and even if he did the RFL would jump all over the club and the paper who prints it, im not saying it doesnt happen or wont happen again but the RFL will and do stamp on it.