• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tigers News

Tigers News
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

8800.jpg

Castleford Head Coach Daryl Powell was impressed with the Tigers' performance after a 50-12 win over Wakefield Wildcats at the Magic Weekend took them up to third place in the First Utility Super League table.

Wakefield were coming into the game off the back of two consecutive wins in the competition whilst Powell's side needed to respond to defeats against Huddersfield and Leeds, but a comprehensive nine-try rout meant Castleford stole the bragging rights in West Yorkshire for another couple of months.

Powell said he expected a sterner test from the Wildcats, but was delighted with the overall response from his own team.

"Ultimately the score line was a little bit of a blowout, particularly when we got that try right at the end," said Powell. "So from a score line perspective it is and I expected it to be a lot closer that it was looking at Wakefield's last two games.

"I thought the conditions were made for us today with the way we try and play the game, and once we get on the front foot in games we played some outstanding rugby league.

"We did that again today, and I thought our players were superb in the delivery of their game plan. We started off a little bit scratchy but once we got into the game, the players were superb."

Powell was particularly satisfied with the display from new signing Lee Jewitt, but also heaped praise on the defensive capabilities of his side after a much needed ten day rest period.

"He (Jewitt) was very good, and I was really pleased with him," he said. "He carried the ball well and his offload helped us get a try on the next play, and he is just a very good player. He is a great bloke too who he has fitted in so neatly and I thought it was a quality first game for him.

"Wakefield got 12 points on us and we gave a couple of little bits and pieces away, but I thought defensively it was a great effort. I am not sure how many tackles we missed but I am sure it will not have been too many.

"All we need is an even period off; four days is pretty tough and we had a look at what we had been doing. I think it did the rest did help us, because it gave us time to give the players four days off, and I know a few of them went abroad to get their heads out of rugby which can really help at times."

Photo: Melanie Allatt.  

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users