- visibility

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

I admit I have often wondered what place rugby league has in Toulouse. They're more often than not in the very long shadows of Stade Toulousain and Toulouse FC and may be even the cities Handball team. But this past week feted by the civic authorities and as seen here welcomed on Place du Capitole in the very heart of France's 4th biggest city in celebration of the clubs unique cup-league double after 77 years of trying. Its an image taking some believing.

I can remember them some years back when their U21s arrived at Carcassonne with only nine players when this year they won the comp; to be fair Justin Morgan got them on the front foot in 2005 but their Championship stay across the Channel later unproductive. Last year when they hosted the Catalan-Hull KR game before 14,000 something else changed too.

La-superbe-bacircche-deacuterouleacutee-

Edited by audois, 26 May 2014 - 11:12 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#2 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,493 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

I admit I have often wondered what place rugby league has in Toulouse. They're more often than not in the very long shadows of Stade Toulousain and Toulouse FC and may be even the cities Handball team. But this past week feted by the civic authorities and as seen here welcomed on Place du Capitole in the very heart of France's 4th biggest city in celebration of the clubs unique cup-league double after 77 years of trying. Its an image taking some believing.

I can remember them some years back when their U21s arrived at Carcassonne with only nine players when this year they won the comp; to be fair Justin Morgan got them on the front foot in 2005 but their Championship stay across the Channel later unproductive. Last year when they hosted the Catalan-Hull KR game before 14,000 something else changed too.

Top flight league is in the shadows of Soccer wherever it's played, but since it repositioned itself in the summer it's not as "head to head" with Union and it competes professionally in it's own market on a low budget salary cap, and can attract crowds in traditional areas because it is an attractive game played at professional level.

Around the Manchester conurbation there's room for Wigan RL and Sale RU and two big Soccer clubs. I just hope Toulouse get into Superleague as whilst their potential to be a big club in soccer or union is not there, they don't have a long way to go to rub shoulders with the best RL pro clubs Europe has. 

#3 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

Eh? Are you saying that Toulouse are not big in RU?

Edited by zorquif, 19 May 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#4 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

The Mairie de Toulouse is 100% behind their RL club so much so they are sanctioning the renovation works at Les Minimes - They are doing their bit for the big SL push.

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Top flight league is in the shadows of Soccer wherever it's played, but since it repositioned itself in the summer it's not as "head to head" with Union and it competes professionally in it's own market on a low budget salary cap, and can attract crowds in traditional areas because it is an attractive game played at professional level.

Around the Manchester conurbation there's room for Wigan RL and Sale RU and two big Soccer clubs. I just hope Toulouse get into Superleague as whilst their potential to be a big club in soccer or union is not there, they don't have a long way to go to rub shoulders with the best RL pro clubs Europe has. 

Dr Khoukash wants a word with you ! Dissing Salford as a SL team again.

#6 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

capitole_zps839c1653.jpg

I'm trying to understand the point of this post, it seems a bit cryptic.

#7 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

The answer is in the first sentence.

#8 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

Amazing picture. Go Toulouse!

#9 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

Place du Capitole is not any old local square; its an iconic land mark in the whole of France attracting hundreds of thousands of people local & overseas; its the heart beat of the city To have TOXIII having a presence there even if for just a week or so says something still about rugby league in France and that location can have significant benefits.

Edited by audois, 20 May 2014 - 11:34 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#10 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

Toulouse for super league!!!

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Toulouse for super league!!!

Indeed, if ever there was a case for expansion it's got to be Toulouse. We can't let this opportunity slip through our hands like we did with Wales after the 95' world cup.

#12 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

Indeed, if ever there was a case for expansion it's got to be Toulouse. We can't let this opportunity slip through our hands like we did with Wales after the 95' world cup.

So stick 'em in SL2 where the odds are stacked so heavily against them and watch the good work unravel.

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

So stick 'em in SL2 where the odds are stacked so heavily against them and watch the good work unravel.

Good idea - that will guarantee failure. Serve 'em right eh?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 RLX111

RLX111
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

capitole_zps839c1653.jpg

Nothing cryptic-in Toulouse you literally hang out the banner at the town hall a la revolution!-everything happens in the Capitole !-better than Vesail

#15 Yosser

Yosser
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

Thanks Audois, seeing that photo has lifted my spirits today. 

I have just looked on wikipedia and they say Toulouse has a population of 1.2 million.

I am starting to believe in the Toulouse for SL project and the local derby with Catalan would be a passionate 'must see'.

I'm getting carried away now. Sorry I should know better. 

#16 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

Toulouse-Catalans would be so much appreciable for us in any way! But he would be a kick-ass match at Magic Weekend. Let it be RFL, let it be !

#17 Salford Devil

Salford Devil
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

i would love to see Toulouse in Super League, the benefits to the game would be enormous. A 14 team Super league with 2 French clubs gauranteed should have been the way forward sometime ago.

#18 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Toulouse-Catalans would be so much appreciable for us in any way! But he would be a kick-ass match at Magic Weekend. Let it be RFL, let it be !

True enough but maybe any TO13 v Cats 'derby' at the Magic Weekend would be best played on neutral french soil where a reasonable crowd may be expected, say at Avignon or Montpellier ?

#19 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

True enough but maybe any TO13 v Cats 'derby' at the Magic Weekend would be best played on neutral french soil where a reasonable crowd may be expected, say at Avignon or Montpellier ?

Either that or aim for Paris even, try to garner some national recognition...it would certainly be a mistake to drag them over to Manchester or wherever for little increase in attendance.

#20 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

Either that or aim for Paris even, try to garner some national recognition...it would certainly be a mistake to drag them over to Manchesteror wherever for little increase in attendance.

Except for a Grand Final if course ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users