smoke free

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

after yesterdays announcement that from the 1st july the ground will become a smoke free zone what are the fans thoughts i am a smoker but never smoke in the stands only on the terraceing behind the sticks and when i do that always move away from other fans and stand at the back near the railings with a pint

#2 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Ive never smoked..... but surely in a stadium tge size of por there's room for a small corner for the fag addicts???
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#3 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

I packed in over 45 years ago and even a whiff of a cig makes me feel sick. I take Robin's point though and feel a section could be reserved for smokers. But would they keep to the rules? Further will it stop people going? I would like to know for what reason was the rule made.

#4 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

I'm a non smoker, Terry is a smoker, when he's been to back of Family stand for a cig he comes back stinking of tobacco, he cannot smell it non smokers can.

I'm sure a designated section of the ground (shelter) could be set aside for those who cannot go through watching a rugby game without a dreaded cig.

I'm more concerned as to how they would police this and how many lost supporters it will cost us, cos you can bet some will stop coming cos they cannot have a cig for a couple of hours

Edited by Maureen T-k, 19 May 2014 - 05:45 PM.

Im Fev and im proud

#5 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Never touched one , but think it will cost us a few fans for sure.

#6 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

i stopped smoking in 1973, but as has been said, if we can't give fans somewhere to smoke then it will cost us. rethink needed surely. to charge fans £17 then dictate to them that they can't smoke at all. not on

Edited by oldrover, 19 May 2014 - 06:46 PM.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#7 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

How about a designated area where people could have a smoke at half time and then return to their place on the terraces or stand. That would keep them and non smokers happy. Why the club have introduced the rule lord only knows.

#8 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Just a bit of common sense on this one. Almost every non-smoker I know at fev says a smoking van is OTT.
LIke dydo suggest, a ban may cost us a few regulars!

#9 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

I agree - ban it on the terracing if needs be, but let's have a couple of area's where you can smoke say behind the family stand and behind the main stand.

I'm a non - smoker too.

Edited by The Grinder, 19 May 2014 - 08:08 PM.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#10 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

wonder if it's anything to do with insurance premiums the club has to pay

#11 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

With all the extra facilities were creating at the stadium to attract new fans , it would be silly not to install a small dedicated smoking area/facility for fans that already come , but may not if it wasent offered .

#12 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:16 AM

Cant really understand the decision myself im a non smoker but occasionally go to the games with smokers, i just cant see some of them lasting nearly 2 hours without a fag, theyl probably not go. A little plastic bus shelter type round the back of the stand would do the trick

#13 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

Club House has been no Smoking for quite sometime now it has not stopped people going in for a drink, most grounds are none smoking now, people will get used to it IMO.

#14 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Cos people can go outside and smoke at the mo!
People will get used to it??
People said similar when the LVA warned of wholesale pub closures as a direct result of the smoking ban.
research has since concluded that the overwheliming factor affecting pub closures since 2007 has been... the smoking ban. People most certainly DIDN'T get used to i tjohn. And now its too late.
I honestly can't see why in the 21st century we cant cater for everyone.??

Edited by Robin Evans, 20 May 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#15 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

They may have had a smoke before they went in the club ,or after , its not a full 2 hours or so nipping in for a pint . And thats bearing in mind ive never touched a fag and hate them . Ive got a few family members that go now that wouldnt go if they couldnt have a smoke for 2 hours , i cant for the life of me understand it . But it is a fact in black and white .

Edited by dydo, 20 May 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#16 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

are we so well off for fans that we can afford to turn them away.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#17 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

Its cigs now old rover , it will probably be booze next in tiime , then pies and all other fattening food haha.

#18 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Its cigs now old rover , it will probably be booze next in tiime , then pies and all other fattening food haha.

Haha according to one of our supporters pies are already to hot!! And have put a complaint into the club
Im Fev and im proud

#19 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

As a smoker I agree that others shouldn't have to put up with smokers, and even in areas not designated as non-smoking I am very aware of my actions and the negative effect that has on others, especially children, so usually try to find a nice quiet spot away from the crowds to enjoy a choker, unless there is a choker going on, on the field at the time.

I can't imagine the ban will keep people away, Fev would always come first before a fag, but I can see it causing increased work for the stewards in policing the policy. There will always be some that try to beat the ban, and especially after a pint or two.

Will we have to employ more stewards to maintain a smoke free presence at all areas of the ground?

Will we be banning those that break the rules?

Will there be agro involved?

It seems that in a stadium as open as POR, surely a dingy little corner can be found for the dirty smokers?

I had a lovely meeting with a Halifax steward last year, as I was smoking a fag a few feet away from where I should have been. I tried to point out to him that perhaps there were bigger and more drunken problems for him to be dealing with, but he was more interested in my filthy cigarette.

http://wp.me/p2Mb3V-3S

Who knows the reason behind it, it might be a SL thing that we are preparing for? Gone are the days of the John Player floodlit trophy, or the Silk cut Challenge cup....

Perhaps it could be discussed at the forum?

Edited by Cliff in Tanzania, 20 May 2014 - 03:59 PM.

10527261_10152163584386971_3057229316284

#20 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

I can believe anything now a days maureen .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users