Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Workington away

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

Well going by the recent run of results we're due a win. 32-22 to the Cru

#2 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Workington have had some close games and picked up bonus points. So far they have lost to Doncaster, Batley, Keighley, Dewsbury, Sheffield, Whitehaven and Featherstone, drawn with Halifax and beaten Swinton, Barrow, and Rochdale. That puts then in and around the same ballpark as Crusaders. The Championship is throwing out some crazy results and it will depend which Crusaders team turn up. We need the defence we had against Halifax and Keighley coupled with the attack we showed against Whitehaven. We need to keep discipline and cut out the errors. If that team turn up then Workington will have to battle hard to get any points.

I'm going for a Cru win, I think it will be close and Workington obviously play hard for the whole 80 minutes to earn their bonus points. Actually 32 - 22 is a good shout.

#3 Ratboy

Ratboy
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

I see Declan Hulme and Adam Lawton are playing for you this weekend.

#4 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

Ratboy, they are both good players and have done well for us in some previous games but I think we'll have to wait and see. Where or from who, are you getting this info? because last time Adam Lawton was supposed to be playing for us against Whitehaven and he wasn't even at the ground.

I can't make the game this week (gutted), I will be on the opposite side of the country all dolled up in a suit!

I agree with the comments above and see Worky' as being a team similar to us at the moment. We have all the ability to win this one and on a good day win it well but I will  go for a 28 -14 win for the Cru.

Have a great game and safe trip everyone going up on Sunday.

Regards 7

#5 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Declan Hulme played quite a number of games for Town last year and whilst he was solid and steady he never really excelled in any games, and a bit dodgy under the high ball under pressure. Adam Lawton only played about twice for us and it was always felt that he never runs his weight and size. Town will win 24 - 10.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#6 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Ratboy, they are both good players and have done well for us in some previous games but I think we'll have to wait and see. Where or from who, are you getting this info? because last time Adam Lawton was supposed to be playing for us against Whitehaven and he wasn't even at the ground.

I can't make the game this week (gutted), I will be on the opposite side of the country all dolled up in a suit!

I agree with the comments above and see Worky' as being a team similar to us at the moment. We have all the ability to win this one and on a good day win it well but I will  go for a 28 -14 win for the Cru.

Have a great game and safe trip everyone going up on Sunday.

Regards 7

Lawton & Hulme playing for the mighty Crusaders this wekend in the picturesque village of Workington

Cue - serious drinking session icon_e_biggrin.gif

widnesacademy   Posts: 208 Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:59 am Favourite all-time Widnes player: Goulding First Widnes match: 1982 v saints Stronghold member?: No
  •  

#7 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Would definitely be looking to target declan hulme with some up and unders. Town have turned a bit of a corner and are defensively much stronger and with home advantage I will go for town by 10 but far from an easy game. Crusaders are some what unpredictable

#8 Ratboy

Ratboy
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Number 7 I only get my information from Widnes Academy who is Declan Hulmes father. He posts regularly on the Widnes forum, and most of the time is correct. Unfortunanetly players get recalled back into the Widnes 19, because of last minute injuries. Adam Lawton is a real talent but lacks aggression and possibly work rate. If can master these he will be a great player. He has more skill and size to Leuluai but nowhere near the same heart. I have told Declan be ready for the high bombs.

Edited by Ratboy, 22 May 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#9 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

Number 7 I only get my information from Widnes Academy who is Declan Hulmes father. He posts regularly on the Widnes forum, and most of the time is correct. Unfortunanetly players get recalled back into the Widnes 19, because of last minute injuries. Adam Lawton is a real talent but lacks aggression and possibly work rate. If can master these he will be a great player. He has more skill and size to Leuluai but nowhere near the same heart. I have told Declan be ready for the high bombs.

i think you hit the nail on the head there mate, when Lawton played for us he really lacked aggression and heart. Runs nowhere near his size.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#10 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

There's a good chance that Lawton will get a game while Seb Martin is on the naughty step fro swearing at the Ginger Numbnut (credit to Fatty Lewis for Georges nickname)

#11 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for getting back with that Ratboy its nice to know where the info' is coming from and that it can be usually relied on.

I think Adam is going to have to put in a blinder (as he did at Leigh Sports Village) to convince the Cru' fans of his worth after his last performance at the Racecourse.

As for Dec Hulme, if playing I'm sure he will cope well even if they do try to target him and it may even be to their detriment to plan their game around that tactic.

Lets hope so anyway.

Regards 7 

#12 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for getting back with that Ratboy its nice to know where the info' is coming from and that it can be usually relied on.
I think Adam is going to have to put in a blinder (as he did at Leigh Sports Village) to convince the Cru' fans of his worth after his last performance at the Racecourse.
As for Dec Hulme, if playing I'm sure he will cope well even if they do try to target him and it may even be to their detriment to plan their game around that tactic.
Lets hope so anyway.

Regards 7

I don't think we would plan our whole game around targeting one individual player . however teams will target what they see as weaknesses. Declan is a steady player who had some decent games for us.

#13 Ratboy

Ratboy
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

Lets hope so anyway.

Regards 7

I hope he plays well Lawton, but just shows what Betts thinks of him when several U19s are playing before him. Widnes have about 12 players injured and not in the 19 squad. To be honest I thought he was rubbish in the game he played for Widnes this year. Declan did fine though as very steady player and scored a few tries.

Edited by Ratboy, 23 May 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#14 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Hulme wont be playing for Crusdaer's tommorrow but Lawton might 

#15 Tricky14

Tricky14
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Lawton is a good lad , he ran the show at Swinton set up a try and scored one . Came close to winning the game at Doncaster except for a last gasp ankle tap to stop him going over under the posts . He may not be getting picked for super league but is well capable for this league .hope he plays as we could do with his bulk as seb will be missing ........ High bombs no probs leave them to TJ to sort

#16 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Lawton is a good lad , he ran the show at Swinton set up a try and scored one . Came close to winning the game at Doncaster except for a last gasp ankle tap to stop him going over under the posts . He may not be getting picked for super league but is well capable for this league .hope he plays as we could do with his bulk as seb will be missing ........ High bombs no probs leave them to TJ to sort

Think you might be unlucky , I have a funny feeling he will be in Widnes 19 on Sunday !

#17 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Good win for your lot today, we were dreadful and you deserved the win. Good travelling support too, we at town know how difficult it is to have to travel so far to each away game. Good luck for the rest of the season.

#18 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for that dkw. Our form this season has been a bit strange doing  well away from home and getting beat at the Racecourse. The race for the top nine and avoid relegation will go right to the last game. Good luck for the rest of the season.

#19 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

Your fans were a credit to your club and joined in the banter with the Town fans who all stood and listened to a great rendition of Delilah, that got the biggest applause of the day.  Best wishes for the rest of the season.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#20 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

It's a shame the rugby couldn't match your fans performance on the terraces. Best support we've had up here since you were last up and a credit to your team. Unfortunately neither team performed today like they have in other games this year. But if your playing badly and winning then you take that all season long. Well done and good luck. And hopefully we bring as noisey a support down to wales for the return game.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users