Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So will Jeopardy - Bradford v Wakefield - see a bumper crowd next week?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
627 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

So this is one of those defining fixtures of the year - one that is supposed to get the fans excited. Will it result in a big build up and higher than average crowd for Bradford? Or will the home fans stay away (because Bradford are on a horror run) and the visiting fans not travel in numbers?

It is either an attractive fixture or not. How do fans of both clubs feel ahead of this game? This is what we were told fans were asking for - jeopardy.

#2 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

Been in a similar situation with Cas so I know it can get the pulse racing.

This one, however, feels a bit strange.

Both sets of fans are unhappy, especially the Bulls. With so much of the season left it shouldn't really be a 4 pointer but if the Bulls lose it's hard to see them turning if around based on their last few games.

It must also be tough for both sets of fans to see Cas doing so well without throwing money at it. We've suffered relegation in recent times but learnt lessons from it.

There is hope there somewhere....

#3 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

No - it'll be absolutely dreadful.

No real jeopardy is there - Bradford are essentially already down - due to points difference we have to win 5 to go above Wakey before factoring in anymore wins they will get. Going on the first half of the season that'll be about 3-5. So Bradford have to win 8-11 from the remaining 13 - so basically playoff form. Bradford won't win 5 more all season, I guarantee that.

Same fixture last year got 10k - bit of a bounce as it was the first game of the season. We'll be lucky to get anywhere near that IMO.

I don't think it says anything for P/R really - Bradford's fate has been decided off the field by the people who have run the club in the past decade.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#4 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

Been in a similar situation with Cas so I know it can get the pulse racing.

This one, however, feels a bit strange.

Both sets of fans are unhappy, especially the Bulls. With so much of the season left it shouldn't really be a 4 pointer but if the Bulls lose it's hard to see them turning if around based on their last few games.

It must also be tough for both sets of fans to see Cas doing so well without throwing money at it. We've suffered relegation in recent times but learnt lessons from it.

Interesting first point. It appears that both sets of fans seemed so disillusioned with recent performances that this one may be difficult to get pumped up for - even if it is a relegation 4-pointer. Unlike football, rugby is such a brutal game that you can get whacked week-in week-out if you are playing badly. So perhaps it creates a different mind set when battling relegation?

Edited by Scubby, 25 May 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#5 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Can't speak for everyone else - but even if we win next week it'll give me zero hope unless we somehow won by 80.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#6 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Would be a huge game if Bradford got the points back before it

#7 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

That won't be decided until the week after this game (plus we won't get any back anyway).
SQL Honours

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

If the hearing was before the game, it would maybe have had the chance of getting a bumper crowd.

As it stands now, there's no jeopardy at all. The OP clearly just wants to have a shot at P/R.
Posted Image

#9 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

If the hearing was before the game, it would maybe have had the chance of getting a bumper crowd.

As it stands now, there's no jeopardy at all. The OP clearly just wants to have a shot at P/R.

That's not true. If you read my second post I added that, unlike football, RL clubs struggling at the bottom can cop some fearful hidings and this tests the enthusiasm of even the hardiest of fans. Both clubs have been flogged over the last few weeks and it could make it hard for supporters to get up for a relegation 4-pointer - even if it is the most important game of the season.

This is why IMO jeopardy doesn't necessarily equate to bigger crowds for basement battle games. Whether we should promote and relegate clubs is a completely different argument.

Edited by Scubby, 25 May 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#10 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

the problem with this game and 'jeopardy' this season is that one club has essentially got to run on one leg. there isn't much jeopardy in this - bradford are basically relegated.

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

This isnt what people voted for. People who dislike the new system will use this as a reason to bash it though, no doubt.

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

It's more to do with hope than anything else. Virtually everyone has none left and the only ones still going are doing so out of habit/loyalty. And that's why the crowd will be poor.

#13 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

This isnt what people voted for. People who dislike the new system will use this as a reason to bash it though, no doubt.

I am not against two sides going down this season or relegation on principle. It was the premise that this creates excitement for the fans. My experience watching RL over many years tells me that following struggling teams is a miserable existence for many fans and numbers drop away dramatically before we get anywhere near the crucial 4-pointer games. The jeopardy = excitement = crowds idea in RL is flawed.

#14 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

but this is a flawed argument against it. this is not and never was a real 4-pointer, due to events off the pitch

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

In any case, this is not what they have voted for. They are looking for jeopordy at the end of the season. Not in rd15 where crowds are average.

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

I am not against two sides going down this season or relegation on principle. It was the premise that this creates excitement for the fans. My experience watching RL over many years tells me that following struggling teams is a miserable existence for many fans and numbers drop away dramatically before we get anywhere near the crucial 4-pointer games. The jeopardy = excitement = crowds idea in RL is flawed.

but we havent voted this system in. Ill wait and give it a few yrs to judge rather than a game after rd 15 versus teams 8 pts apart.

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

But wasn't one of the reasons for bringing back P&R to 'make things interesting all year'. As it stands people are still picking and choosing games so what's changed in reality?

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

But wasn't one of the reasons for bringing back P&R to 'make things interesting all year'. As it stands people are still picking and choosing games so what's changed in reality?

this is not what they voted for. They voted against this system.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

this is not what they voted for. They voted against this system.

Well whatever Dave. The point is we have relegation this year and the argument was that people would be more likely to attend as every game means something. There are still one sided boring games that aren't pulling in big crowds so I aren't sure it has made any difference.

#20 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,020 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

With London v Hull FC also on the same weekend, it could start giving clues as to who will be nervous towards the season end.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users