TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

So will Jeopardy - Bradford v Wakefield - see a bumper crowd next week?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
627 replies to this topic

#41 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

but that wasnt the argument at all, people are being obtuse around this.

People are jumping on this jeopardy point, and im not sure why, the new structure may or may not work, but using anything that has happened this year as a pointer is a complete nonsense, in the same way Lobby used all sorts of tenuous arguments against a closed shop.

I aren't arguing about the system as such mate, more that regardless of anything else, we have relegation this year. And as such, because it's the British way or something, the fans will turn up in numbers as it's exciting. Whilst I agree the situation at Bradford is skewing the matter somewhat, why aren't we seeing loads more fans in the grounds? Why aren't all the games tight with players busting a gut?

As I said, done properly p&r can be very exciting but not the ad hoc way it is being done in RL.

#42 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Wakefield's dwindling crowds are due to the fact that, on the playing front, we're in a rapidly accelerating downward spiral. For the 1st time in our Super League history we are involved in a battle for survival without a Kear or Harbin for motivation and leadership.
I hear the Chairman plays a mighty good fiddle though amongst the flames.

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo, 26 May 2014 - 02:58 PM.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#43 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

I still think Bradford and London have a chance but they need to start winning soon. If Bradford can turn Wakey over it will get the ball rolling. Also London need to turn Hull over - a game I shall attend (but would not have attended without relegation).

Never thought I'd say this but I hope Bradford shove 50 on Wakey!

Delusional. Both teams would have to be pushing top 4 form to stand a chance. They won't get 8 wins between them, never mind the 8 one club alone would need to be in with a chance.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

I aren't arguing about the system as such mate, more that regardless of anything else, we have relegation this year. And as such, because it's the British way or something, the fans will turn up in numbers as it's exciting. Whilst I agree the situation at Bradford is skewing the matter somewhat, why aren't we seeing loads more fans in the grounds? Why aren't all the games tight with players busting a gut?

As I said, done properly p&r can be very exciting but not the ad hoc way it is being done in RL.

in many cases it just isnt relevant is my point. Warrington have had a couple of crowds way down this year, particularly the big games against Wigan and Saints. That is nothing to do with p and r.

I havent read a single statement which says that a season where we cull the two weakest teams will see bigger crowds.

This season is nothing like the system expected to give the game a shot in the arm.

#45 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

I have heard more than one RL writer and expert say that licensing was bad and keeping the crowds away as we prefer relegation. Yet we have it and it doesn't seem to be exciting many people. We will see how it pans out but I aren't convinced that it will be the answer it was made out to be

#46 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

With London v Hull FC also on the same weekend, it could start giving clues as to who will be nervous towards the season end.

no i think hull will stay up this year..............just 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#47 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

I have heard more than one RL writer and expert say that licensing was bad and keeping the crowds away as we prefer relegation. Yet we have it and it doesn't seem to be exciting many people. We will see how it pans out but I aren't convinced that it will be the answer it was made out to be

bringing back P&R is a step back for the game, i am sure the allowing teams to evolve rather than ###### or bust management would have seen the game grow and grow 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#48 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

As a London regular, I much prefer relegation than the meaningless guff we had under licensing. This year is a bit of a one off with two down, and pre-existing problems at Bradford and London. For the latter they have been on a downwards trend since well before the name change to London (I still think the rot set in with the name change to Quins -certainly the passion died that day)

#49 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

As a London regular, I much prefer relegation than the meaningless guff we had under licensing. This year is a bit of a one off with two down, and pre-existing problems at Bradford and London. For the latter they have been on a downwards trend since well before the name change to London (I still think the rot set in with the name change to Quins -certainly the passion died that day)

Bradford and London are relegated already. Isn't that meaningless?

#50 eddo1

eddo1
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

Just ask Fulham/Norwich/Cardiff City

#51 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

So far on t'other messageboard it's a bit of an in-house mud slinging contest over which side is the most rubbishest. Both supporters are sticking to their guns that the other team will win.

It's cute really; "you'll win", "no, you hang up".

:wub:

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#52 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Anyone coined the term "a real four pointer" yet??!!. 1st chance for Super league in many a season to show off the "Jeopardy" that it wants to bring back to our game.

#53 Pete M

Pete M
  • Coach
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

There is no jeopardy in operation in SL this season - the existence of the two basket-case clubs (London and Bradford) who are an acute embarrassment to the sport has ensured that. Good riddance to both.  

On the topic of Wakefield's dwindling home attendances, what appears to have been overlooked is the cost of their season tickets in 2014. Wakefield averaged around 8K in 2012 and 2013 which just happened to coincide with their season tickets being heavily discounted at between £100 and £125 for adults and considerably less for oap's/concessions and juniors. Season tickets were also available for £50 for young adults up to the age of 21. It's therefore no coincidence their attendances in 2014 should witness a dramatic decline (currently below 4.5K) in a year where huge discounts on season tickets were withdrawn and the cheapest adult season tickets were priced at £205.

The same happened at Bradford. Their home attendance average was almost 14K in 2011 on the back of selling adult season tickets for the knock-down price of £60. Crowds were down to under 12K in 2012 when they were priced at £85 to be followed by an even bigger decline down to 8.5K in 2013 when the massive discounts were withdrawn and season tickets priced at £180. 

The bumper crowds at the RLWC last year were built on a cheap pricing structure which had a plethora of 50% discount codes applied to them so that fans were paying no more than £5 to £10 for tickets.

Having said all that, I doubt the Bradford/Wakey fixture on Sunday could entice a bumper attendance on Sunday even if admission was FREE! 

#54 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Anyone coined the term "a real four pointer" yet??!!. 1st chance for Super league in many a season to show off the "Jeopardy" that it wants to bring back to our game.

Problem is that it needs to be an 8 pointer to become interesting!

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Actually, one question that may be more relevant.

If Bradford hadn't been punished and were on 6 points, and Wakey on 8 - do people think this would attract a bigger crowd than it will?

#56 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Actually, one question that may be more relevant.

If Bradford hadn't been punished and were on 6 points, and Wakey on 8 - do people think this would attract a bigger crowd than it will?

Almost definitely! Not by loads though.

Although without the points deduction I think we’d be on more than 6 points, purely because such it’s created such a negative atmosphere around the club and I think negativity breeds negativity especially as it’s been hanging around in spades for over two years.

Can never say for sure, of course, but had the RFL deducted no points we wouldn’t have lost the previous owners for one and who knows who we may or may not have brought in playing wise (or crucially, not lost – Scruton maybe for one).

I’d also like to say at this point that I'm not saying we shouldn’t have been punished, I’m just looking at the what ifs (I have a feeling us Bulls fans will be looking at the what ifs for decades to come).

To make things simple though – if we presume we hadn’t been docked points and everything else panned out exactly the same, I don’t know if I’d expect a “bumper” crowd. Certainly a boosted one, but both sides have been playing so shockingly it’s hard to tell. You’d hope Bradford at least would have put up some more fight in a couple of recent games, but maybe – mentally – they have already relegated themselves.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 28 May 2014 - 03:02 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#57 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

But wasn't one of the reasons for bringing back P&R to 'make things interesting all year'. As it stands people are still picking and choosing games so what's changed in reality?

This was exactly what was meant to happen.  Every game to mean something.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#58 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

This was exactly what was meant to happen. Every game to mean something.

Big difference between this year and next year for particular cases were a SL club wins few if any games. This year, a club could be mathematically down by the last quarter of the season. Next year a club is not defo down and has the 3x8 to look foward to

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

This was exactly what was meant to happen. Every game to mean something.

it will make many more games mean something in theory. As things stand, it is a foregone conclusion at the bottom, but next year the 9th and 10th placed teams are dragged into the relegation issue. As are 7th and 8th.
You then have the top 6 or so of the lower division battling.
This may not work and may be seen as too manufactured, but it is very clear why the point has been made for more meaningful games.

#60 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 682 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Both sets of supporters are as disillusioned as each other, were Bradford on 6 points rather than 0 it wouldn't make Sunday's game any more appealing, well not to me. It's no fun watching Trinity at the moment, to compound that by watching them play a team equally terrible isn't something I'm desperate to witness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users