Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ref Sunday

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

Oh for goodness sake. Been watching Batley since 1948 and the refs have either been good (Batley win) or ###### (Batley lose). Nothing changes except the players and their performances.We have had plenty of class players and many of them have been talented enough to override poor refereeing performances. Talent comes and goes. In 60 years I have seen players who could have held their own in todays super league and others who just gave their all for the BRLFC cause.Lets not continue the 'ref was rubbish' please. Many where not up to what we thought they should be but were still a credit to their trade.

on the flip side thou, after all the lads do all week at work,and then all the hours on the training grounds and fitness rooms is it really so much to ask nowadays to have officials who can let the game flow but also keep things in check,far too many simple mistakes not only spoil games but can now cost another club points along with a big chunk a £££ at end a season, i know its up to the players to just get on with it but should they expect better from these officials.

#22 greydog

greydog
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thought on balance that the game was allowed to flow by a good performance from the match officials.

#23 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

are you serious ?

#24 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Must put this for the last 2 home games had poor ref decsions cost us games. Sheffield scored whats was the winning score on the seventh tackle. Today there players arm was clearly down with contact the ref a.llowed play to continue which they scored from. Before someone say should have tackled before scoring thats not the point. 2 decsions have cost us 3 more points. Yet it seems we lose games by inempt refs who are not ready for this level is beyond me we are in the middle of relagation dogfight with refs that are ma.king calls that could end up getting us relegated.

#25 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

Must put this for the last 2 home games had poor ref decsions cost us games. Sheffield scored whats was the winning score on the seventh tackle. Today there players arm was clearly down with contact the ref a.llowed play to continue which they scored from. Before someone say should have tackled before scoring thats not the point. 2 decsions have cost us 3 more points. Yet it seems we lose games by inempt refs who are not ready for this level is beyond me we are in the middle of relagation dogfight with refs that are ma.king calls that could end up getting us relegated.

I agree the referee made an error with the try you are referring to in todays game but it did not cost Batley the game. The first 15 minutes cost Batley the game when all Batley did was give away silly penalties, made errors with the ball in hand and missed tackles which gave Featherstone a 10-0 lead. 

After that Batley gave Featherstone a good game which included winning the second half playing up the slope and picking up a bonus point which is a good result. 

Edited by bulldogtrev, 01 June 2014 - 05:26 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#26 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Joke descisions from the ref today all round - Batley knock on a fev richochet and he waves back to 6 then when the ball is knocked on twice more from both teams in the same action he gives it a free play???!!! From that scrum Batley break and score their last try

Ian Smith the refs man was there today, he was doing a lot of note taking and head shaking, i doubt we will see him get a gig anytime soon after that

32-14 it was all over - we went to sleep for me and let Batley back in it instead of killing it off - that last 7 minutes left a lot to be desired from a fev perspective

#27 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

I thought the ref did alright. He missed a couple of things for both teams but overall I was happy.

#28 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

We lost by 6 points a try was given that shouldnt have been given. So no try given 2 points not 1 point . Its that simple yes we made mistakes but come on two matchez 2 decsions cost us 3 points thats my point

#29 GoldDog

GoldDog
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Ian Smith is a desperately bad referee. I remember him costing us this very same game when he was video ref and ignored a blatant Andy Kain knock on, so how he can assess anyone is beyond me.

We were really good today, but a few defensive aborations cost us massively.

How many players have Fev got ? No Bostock, Briggs, Flanagan, Hurst, the Islander they signed are just the ones missing off the top of my head.

And has Liam Walmsley left the club as he wasn't on the squad list in the programme, or do we need to start printing longer programmes to get all the names on ?

#30 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Liam Walmsley is working his way back to fitness following a broken arm (thats taken longer to heal than expected) sustanined in pre season but has played for the reserves so due back anytime

You need a longer programme

#31 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

Ian Smith is a desperately bad referee. I remember him costing us this very same game when he was video ref and ignored a blatant Andy Kain knock on, so how he can assess anyone is beyond me.

We were really good today, but a few defensive aborations cost us massively.

How many players have Fev got ? No Bostock, Briggs, Flanagan, Hurst, the Islander they signed are just the ones missing off the top of my head.

And has Liam Walmsley left the club as he wasn't on the squad list in the programme, or do we need to start printing longer programmes to get all the names on ?

We very kindly borrow them from other clubs when we are short;

#32 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Improved in the second half but made some poor calls. I won't say he cost us the game as it was nip and tuck and Fev seemed to be at half speed sometimes. I wonder if all the changes and rumours about new players just distracts a little.

PS thank gawd George wasn't playing as we wouldn't have got a bonus point!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#33 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

bizaare decision to leave flanagan out today - the joys of DR i guess. madness or very naive coaching to go with only one hooker in the heat today

#34 From the South

From the South
  • Coach
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

I'm with you Toffee, it was directly in front of me and the tackle was clearly completed, the ball carrying arm was on the ground and a defender was in contact with the player. 

Having said that I thought the result was just about right, we put in a great effort, but Fev were just about the better side, a great game though.

#35 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

great day out and a cracking game,cant blame ref at all,he leveled a few things up along the way and we lost too many balls and missed a couple a tackles when it mattered,cant complain at all as every player put the effort in,we did go thru a faze with 20 to go like we looked beaten  with heads down but sprang back to life again,i think fev threw the ball about more while we tried to do it tougher up the middle too much.well done the dogs against one hell of a team in fev, like been said am glad flanny was waterboy thats for sure,couple a fev fans in toilet  were saying he wont play no more for fev as he cant tackle..whatever.. i would sell a kidney to have  him back to mount.. :bb: :download:

#36 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

Flanagan will be back he's one of the best in this league. There's a few at Fev who cannot tackle but get picked You have got Hurst back you cannot have them all back not this season anyway Well done today think we just edged it and deserved the win but I cannot see you lads getting relegated second half of season will see you climb the table Good luck

#37 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Thought it was a fair result today, Fev probably deserved the win but thought we played with a lot of spirit and determination and deserved the bonus point.

One question though for the experts out there - what is the rule regarding off-side? When a player blocks a kick through and the ball rebounds off him to a team mate who is in front of him, is that not offside? Just asking.

#38 LuckyDog

LuckyDog
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

A funny game to me. I never thought we looked like winning it, but got within a score. I thought the killer try was just before half time, putting us 2 scores behind when downhill, and I too thought the tackle was complete - if we had held on, he'd have just given a penalty anyway.
I felt we lacked belief that we could beat them, a bit like the Sheffield game. But I feared a try whenever they got in our 10 metre, which thankfully was not that often in the second half. We defend far far better in the midfield.
Gaz Moore wound me up too with the drop goal attempt denying us a bonus point with 10 to go, but the lads kept going and got the point, and to be honest looked stronger at the end.

We need to believe we can win the next 5. Massive games.

#39 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

I think Liam Walmsley has been out with a broken hand/ wrist/ arm?, as regards programmes Goldy don't go there please.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#40 phildog

phildog
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

ELPwhatever; remember games last 80 minutes, it's no good saying 'we were 32-14 up' and then... that Fev 'let' Batley back is their fault, but Batley, back to a bit of form, played for the whole 80, and if they're keen enough to do that, give them credit. Think back how many teams last year were beaten at the death by us due to playing the whole 80. And, on the original topic about refs, there isn't a good one amongst them, not one who will make a decision for himself without passing it on to the video ref for him to get it wrong, forward passes are par for the course, knock-ons given when the ball clearly goes backwards or the guy who drops it is facing his own posts, reluctance to show red cards, taking the easy way out by going on report, which, if a guilty decision comes out, benefits the next opponents instead of the team against whom the player is playing when he commits the offence etc etc etc. What passes between the assessors, the RFL and their officials? It appears that they are either blind when watching, or think that the ref's performance is acceptable and are unwilling/unable to take any sort of corrective action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users