TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Some wonderful BBC journalism

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

Fair enough.

On my point 1, put it another way then.  How do I get someone from, say, Gloucester to watch a Super League match between Bradford and Wakefield?

On those grounds, why would anyone in this country be bothered about games between teams from Seattle, Baltimore or Green Bay to use the example of three of the last four Superbowl winners?

#22 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Maybe we wouldn't want to advertise a game between Bradford and Wakefield this season though, much as the Premier League wouldn't promote a game between, say, Sunderland and Norwich.

Edited by latchford albion, 03 June 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#23 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 504 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

Sadly it's simply about how may papers they can shift/people they can sign up to their web site.

RL is perceived, rightly or wrongly, as attracting fewer potential customers than the sports that they do feature so they limit the resources that they commit to its coverage. This is in a time of massively shrinking newspaper employment too, hence the majority of papers no long have dedicated reporters for any but "mainstream" sports.

The Telegraph covers RL to a ratio of 1:22.5 articles per month (May) compared to our rival. Even the most misinformed newspaper doesn't believe the English Premiership is 23 times larger than the SL.  If resources are a primary concern then how do they account for an 8 to 180 articles bias, 180 articles cost ££££ and 8 tantamount to ignoring a potential readership.  As said by Tonka most of the articles are utter tripe anyway, the consequence of the 24 hour news media.

I think it is accounted for by a newspaper investing in/promoting a particular sport and further helping that investment by devaluing a close rival.

Edited by C H Calthrop, 03 June 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#24 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Smew. Not exclusively, but the majority, yes.

L.A. Not many do.

I think sport can be very tribal and parochial and one of rugby league fans' naivities is to think we've got the best product (which is up for debate anyway as it's wholly subjective) so people should watch it.

#25 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

Smew. Not exclusively, but the majority, yes.

L.A. Not many do.

I think sport can be very tribal and parochial and one of rugby league fans' naivities is to think we've got the best product (which is up for debate anyway as it's wholly subjective) so people should watch it.

Actually I would say RL fans are far more objective than most other sports fans. And in no way shape or form is the appreciation of a sport product wholly subjective.

#26 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Ok I'll settle for very subjective then, not wholly.

I still think the mistake RL fans make is to say "We (objectively?) have the best product and therefore it should be more popular than it is"

#27 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

I still think the mistake RL fans make is to say "We (objectively?) have the best product and therefore it should be more popular than it is"

Yes subjectivity is a part but the mistake we make is that our strength lies in objectivity and objectivity is not used when our product gets put out there to other audiences. 

#28 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Part of the problem is that too many see the game as the product. Yep we have a great game but the live product needs improving for modern audiences. 

#29 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Part of the problem is that too many see the game as the product. Yep we have a great game but the live product needs improving for modern audiences. 

I understand your point, specific reference to live product, improvement is always a consideration.

But so much of the evolution of the  RL live product over the last 20 years is not based around the actual grass underfoot sport but other factors. Attempted improvement for modern audiences is a considerably flawed notion, too many assumption surrounding what is a "modern audience".

#30 Six to Go

Six to Go
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

Not fair comment re the Kelner brothers.Simon was instrumental in the Indy sponsoring the Student World Cup some years ago with coverage throughout the tournament and Martin very often mentions League on Fighting Talk and when he wrote for The Guardian(He was laid off a couple of years ago) , his Monday column very often mentioned League in flattering terms.

I think we are of an age where we think the printed press is important.My kids get all their news and info via the web and i have to say in this area League fans and bloggers are way ahead of Union .

Doesn't mean that we stop fighting for coverage and recognition but even with wall to wall coverage in broadsheets , Union still struggles to break through the general sporting consciousness and remember that they would have to double the size of their stadiums in 2003 based on the new popularity of Union led by Jonny.

Look at the views on You Tube of League action clips and you will see that the promotion of the sport is DIY and long may it continue to grow.

Edited by Six to Go, 04 June 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

I agree that you can get lots of excellent Rugby League information and news online. Let's face it, you can't get it anywhere much else in the UK (dedicated magazines and newspapers excepted).

So it's all there if you are looking for it. Preaching to the converted or, in other words, not reaching out to the wider public.  

Getting more than the most grudging paragraph in the national press or broadcast media, which is where the rest of the population go for their sporting news, is still important.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#32 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

I was listening to the Today programme this morning. At approx. 8-50 am there was an item which lasted about five minutes about Bristol RU possibly getting into the Union premiership.  Last year Wigan won the CC, and the Championship, and the soccer side won the FA Cup.  I don't recall the Today programme devoting five minutes or even five seconds of air time to that feat.  If you asked them they'd deny bias, as I say it's just their culture, they don't see anything wrong with the disparity.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#33 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

In the Times today they have covered Paul March's pitchside ban for verbally assaulting a referee.

But included a picture of Brad Drew.

I retract my earlier comments.

#34 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

I meant abusing, not assaulting

#35 Yosser

Yosser
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

I was listening to the Today programme this morning. At approx. 8-50 am there was an item which lasted about five minutes about Bristol RU possibly getting into the Union premiership.  Last year Wigan won the CC, and the Championship, and the soccer side won the FA Cup.  I don't recall the Today programme devoting five minutes or even five seconds of air time to that feat.  If you asked them they'd deny bias, as I say it's just their culture, they don't see anything wrong with the disparity.

Yes I caught that on the radio.

But I'm obviously less forgiving than you.

And as a licence payer I feel entitled to expect greater impartiality and professionalism.

On this mornings program during the sports section they came out with one of their favourite phrases  '--- and more on Rugby Union in an hours time'

The biggest sporting tournament in the world, the Football World Cup is just a week away. It dwarfs any other World Cup / Series by a long way.

But even that can't kick Rugby Union out of the limelight and into touch on Radio 4

Edited by Trojan horse, 06 June 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#36 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 504 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

Just looking at the BBC RL page. The CC is on Sat obviously shown on the BBC, only Friday left if there is to be any BBC web based buildup!

They are already announcing the BBC coverage of Wimbledon on the Tennis page and the French open.

F1 is showing on Sat too and plenty announcing that.

They are illustrating  RU internationals for Sat and they aren't covering it on tv only radio. 

Oops just seen, hidden away at the foot of other RL articles on the BBC page a link to a Wigan Cas article, couldn't be shorter or less involved, a few quotes from Wane from a Radio Manchester interview. It's almost as if they are not bothered.

#37 Yosser

Yosser
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Just looking at the BBC RL page. The CC is on Sat obviously shown on the BBC, only Friday left if there is to be any BBC web based buildup!

They are already announcing the BBC coverage of Wimbledon on the Tennis page and the French open.

F1 is showing on Sat too and plenty announcing that.

They are illustrating  RU internationals for Sat and they aren't covering it on tv only radio. 

Oops just seen, hidden away at the foot of other RL articles on the BBC page a link to a Wigan Cas article, couldn't be shorter or less involved, a few quotes from Wane from a Radio Manchester interview. It's almost as if they are not bothered.

They are not bothered.

#38 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

They are not bothered.

seems strange that they are covering any games then,,,

#39 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 504 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

seems strange that they are covering any games then,,,

They may just get them on the cheap and continue to get them on the cheap by not pushing the sport. And traditionally what club rugby could they have covered over the many prior decades, amateur games in front of half a dozen people?

And I mean it is not like they have a brimful of sports in the cup. Must cost them a fortune just for the Tennis and F1.

They may cover the games but I have always got a sense that RL has to know its place.

#40 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:49 AM

Fair enough.

On my point 1, put it another way then.  How do I get someone from, say, Gloucester to watch a Super League match between Bradford and Wakefield?

Tonka

The assumption is that they don't watch- assumptions by all sorts of people in the chain - but the Gloucester All Golds , Bristol Sonics and others are not made up of entirely of exiled northerners. The assumption creates the image or stereotype or policy. It's essentially a self-fulfilling prophecy so much so that even many dyed in the wool RL fans accept as truths. This has been so endemic in the culture of this country that people who have never seen a game are likely to use RL as an image of dourness, boredom, northern put down and general " Oh I wouldn't go there if I were you" It's actually a marketing nightmare! But you sell each game as best you can and you engage with Sky to stop the constant referral to some games as higher quality, superior or more important  because of who's playing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users