Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Some wonderful BBC journalism

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Last question on Question of Sport this week .....

In what country would you find Wests Tigers and Newcastle Jets ?

Eh dear.

And so it goes on ........................

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#42 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Last question on Question of Sport this week .....

In what country would you find Wests Tigers and Newcastle Jets ?

Eh dear.

And so it goes on ........................

That's the 'soccer' team in Newcastle, so technically there isn't anything incorrect with that question.

#43 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

I was listening to the Today programme this morning. At approx. 8-50 am there was an item which lasted about five minutes about Bristol RU possibly getting into the Union premiership.  Last year Wigan won the CC, and the Championship, and the soccer side won the FA Cup.  I don't recall the Today programme devoting five minutes or even five seconds of air time to that feat.  If you asked them they'd deny bias, as I say it's just their culture, they don't see anything wrong with the disparity.

This possibly reflects the preferences of the presenters as much as anything. Justin Webb is a union fan, and likes to get articles in as often as possible. He did one a few months ago about Bath using GPS technology on their players, a startling and amazing new development that league has had for quite some time. He also butted in on a rare interview with Robbie Hunter-Paul during the sports bulletin a year or so ago to talk about Kyle Eastmond. I find it a bit annoying, but not as annoying as James Naughtie, who likes to lever in some article about someone writing a poem somewhere, and usually introduces it with a much weight as is humanly possible: "The Poet Laureate....(dramatic pause)... has written a new poem...(dramatic pause)...about daffodils...(dramatic pause)...to celebrate National Daffodil Day". Leave it out Jim. It belongs on an arts programme, not your flagship news thing.

#44 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

This possibly reflects the preferences of the presenters as much as anything. Justin Webb is a union fan, and likes to get articles in as often as possible. He did one a few months ago about Bath using GPS technology on their players, a startling and amazing new development that league has had for quite some time. He also butted in on a rare interview with Robbie Hunter-Paul during the sports bulletin a year or so ago to talk about Kyle Eastmond. I find it a bit annoying, but not as annoying as James Naughtie, who likes to lever in some article about someone writing a poem somewhere, and usually introduces it with a much weight as is humanly possible: "The Poet Laureate....(dramatic pause)... has written a new poem...(dramatic pause)...about daffodils...(dramatic pause)...to celebrate National Daffodil Day". Leave it out Jim. It belongs on an arts programme, not your flagship news thing.

Red John I have to counsel you here A) you're in danger of aggravating the blue meanies :superblue: B) being wordy is, apparently a crime C) The Beeb is ru biased does not make headline news - and  D) really !the poet Laureate  annoys you more than constant, consistent bias for over a hundred years mostly by an organisation that is happy to accept all our licence fees whilst pretending some of us don't matter!!!

Have you got the Idea of we all count except when someone says so or do you have a wish to be dismissed? 

DUCK! ( From the rise opposite the Grassy Knoll ) or anyone with a different point of view on here) Uh oh, might have disturbed the hornets myself!

"But it's all right now

I learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone
So ya got to please yourself" Ricky Nelson

Edited by Oxford, 07 June 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#45 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

That's the 'soccer' team in Newcastle, so technically there isn't anything incorrect with that question.

Oh well - fair enough. The question was interrupted by the hooter, I suppose.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

What do you mean 'soccer' team? They are a soccer team.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users