Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

lions v Doncaster

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Good luck tomorrow guys, give a good account of your selves no soft penalties, gutted can't be there, so hoping some reviews later on here on Sunday

#2 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Come on lads, lets compete today and you never know.

#3 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Solid 1st half lads keep it going.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#4 JOKA

JOKA
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Absolutely shocking
Can't keep blaming the referees
Need sort out who's playing where
Too many half backs on the field and interchanging them too much
Got perfectly good full back but choose to play him on the wing to accommodate another half back at full back
Needs sorting out

#5 JOKA

JOKA
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Absolutely shocking
Can't keep blaming the referees
Need sort out who's playing where
Too many half backs on the field and interchanging them too much
Got perfectly good full back but choose to play him on the wing to accommodate another half back at full back
Needs sorting out

#6 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Must agree that second half was unforgivable, sick of 'keeping the faith' now, an immediate change needs to be made on the coaching front in order for this cack to be sorted. But we all know that will never happen, because we either can't afford to appoint a seasoned coach a la McCormack or no self respecting coach worth his salt would come to us. Time to face some hard truths, we are going down and we will be doing so being bottom of a league that we had a chance of competing in until we decided to take the easy option of appointing a player coach out of sentimentality or just because we had no other option. Either way the matches will now be -4 on the attendance until some thing changes because I'm sick tip the back teeth of wasting money I can't afford to give away on a team that seems to approach every game in a more amateur way than some amateur clubs I've watched. Shocking, sort it out today's attendance speaks volumes we are haemorrhaging fans at and alarming rate 100 fans down on last week, that's 100 more than we can afford to lose. An old saying came to me during that steaming dump of a second half today "The true definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome." Never been more true .

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

A little harsh to describe it as an absolute joke but we did conspire to lose that match
Very disappointed. The team selection was confusing but in the first half it worked. In the second half it didn't.
Luke Menzies is obviously playing with an injury. Andy Thornley was my man of the match. Pretty sure Mrs Watson must have selected Ian instead.
Don't know where our next win will come from.

#8 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

The coach appointed out of sentiment.... I do recall the uproar last season when Garry Chambers was appointed and that at the time the club had treated our current coach disgracefully.
I am pretty sure non of us are happy about our current position and non more so than Ian Watson.
For the record the MOM award was picked by today's match sponsor "the Shield Group".

#9 JOKA

JOKA
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

Must agree with some of tim te lions comments can't continue like this
We struggled to get a team on the field at the of the season and if the attendances continue to fall how will we create a revenue for next season
This week things need to be sorted out or it will all be over for the lions

#10 JOKA

JOKA
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Must agree with some of tim te lions comments can't continue like this
We struggled to get a team on the field at the of the season and if the attendances continue to fall how will we create a revenue for next season
This week things need to be sorted out or it will all be over for the lions

#11 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

Certainly an interesting team selection! I actually thought we were the better side for 60 mins but we just can't do the 80 min thing which is strange given the training and fitness facilities we have at our disposal.
I think today's selections were born out of necessity with the number of injuries we have to our three quarters and a paper thin squad. Alas penalties were again our undoing but we were so close to pulling it off. Andy Thornley worked like a Trojan today as did many others.

Another interesting fact is, if results were taken from our 1st half performances we would be 6th in the table, on our second halves we would be 8th but combined we are a lowly last!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#12 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

JOKA

Can I suggest you give Fred Elliott his computer back,

I Say can I suggest you give Fred Elliott his computer back !!! ;)

#13 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Just for the record I think Watson is doing a fantastic job as coach
We are so very nearly there with such a patched up squad but just falling short every week.
I do think he'd improve as a coach not being on the pitch

#14 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Well I left today thinking how the hell did we end up getting nothing from that game!!! We were the better side for 60mins. I don't know about team selection but every player out there today worked hard and gave their all and believe me the players are as upset and gutted as the fans!!! As for Luke he took a bad knock to his arm last week but put a decent shift in as did the whole pack. Ref did us no favours but we need to play for the full 80 mins.

#15 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Well well well!!

Here we are again... lets clear something up in short, we are definitely going down!

I don't know what is worse, the fact that we only play for 60 minutes or the fact that they can play for 20 and still deny us even a bonus point.

10 points up to 14 down in 20 minutes is shameful.

Im just going to leave it there.

Wayne

#16 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

The truth of the matter is we can't defend our line and this is happening week after week.time and again we are on the front foot and looking good,then soft penalties given away. Then pinned back on our own line and guess what? another walk in try for the opposition. Do they never learn? What about team selections? A #### half at full back, two fullbacks on the wings, two second rows at centres. Mind boggling, lack of speed on the wing cost us the game and it will continue to do so until we get some genuine speed in the three quarters, and finally we are defending a bonus point with a couple of minutes to go and we boot the ball straight into touch from a 25 tap.What happens next? Doncaster saunter over bonus gone game over and me left with the thought ,does anyone know what there doing on the field.I'm sick to the back teeth with seeing the same stupid mistakes every week, come on coaching staff get a grip and sort it out.

#17 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

After last weeks pretty dire performance and the odd looking line up today I think the team looked much more up for this match and we played some good rugby in the first half.  I am as disapointed and frustrated as everyone else that we let the momentum slip in the second half and once Doncaster got on a roll we just could not counter them.  If we had converted some of the presssure we had on their line it might have been different and yes we made some unforced errors as usual.  I think the referee made some strange decisions too, most of which seemed to go against us.

I don't see the point in calling for Watto's head as he has done well to scratch together a team that has been competative in most games despite having to call on young lads not used to the week in, week out intensity of games at this level.  We all knew it would be a very, very tough ask to stay in this division and injuries to key experienced players has not helped. 

Yes there are plenty of areas where we must improve but let's stick with the team as it is during the tough times that true supporters show their loyalty.  Walking away will do no good at all in building confidence in the team and more importantly securing a future for our club. 

#18 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

It's easy to say "stick with the team, keep the faith etc" blah blah blah but sadly lots of fans won't just follow blindly. The crowds are noticeable down each week and simply cannot afford it.

So let's stop trying to polish and ###### and just say it as it is. The players and coaching team are letting us and themselves down and only they can fix it

Wayne

#19 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Loyal supporters stick with the team through thick and thin.  In over fifty years of watching I've seen worse Swinton teams than the one that put in a real effort today coached by real no hopers with no passion for the club and still turned up to watch.  If you haven't the stomach for the fight walk away and help ensure there is no team for any of us to follow in the future.

Edited by dummy scissors, 01 June 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#20 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

The ridiculous restructuring with five teams relegated will mean some clubs will be relegated well before the end of the season resulting in a host of meaningless games.Id expect attendances to fall even more in the coming weeks and then there's next season.......