TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

lions v Doncaster

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

The ridiculous restructuring with five teams relegated will mean some clubs will be relegated well before the end of the season resulting in a host of meaningless games.Id expect attendances to fall even more in the coming weeks and then there's next season.......

Yes we are up against it on and off the field.  But if we all throw the towel in that will certainly be the end of it.

#22 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

I'm certainly not one of those fans who will just stop going but that's not the point. There's lots of fans that will find other things to do and just not bother anymore and we simply cannot afford to lose 50 fans a week. so the fact that you've been going 50 years. I've been going 30 and spelly probably about 90 years means nothing if it's just us 3 turning up by the end of the season.

Wayne

#23 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

I'm certainly not one of those fans who will just stop going but that's not the point. There's lots of fans that will find other things to do and just not bother anymore and we simply cannot afford to lose 50 fans a week. so the fact that you've been going 50 years. I've been going 30 and spelly probably about 90 years means nothing if it's just us 3 turning up by the end of the season.

Wayne

Glad to hear you are sticking with the team.  A little more positivity might encourage others to do so as well.

#24 Peewagg

Peewagg
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

Can't deny the effort put in by the lads, but we still continue to be our own worst enemy by giving away SO many cheap yards and having to defend multiple sets.
PLEASE, PLEASE.
NO - MORE - PENALTIES!

#25 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

Glad to hear you are sticking with the team. A little more positivity might encourage others to do so as well.

Let's just clear it up once and for all. You and others don't need to keep telling me to be positive. I support my team by attending the games and buying a shirt, I come on here to voice my opinion on the game and if it was ###### ill say it was ######! Sadly were not playing in a modern day sports day where everybody is a winner, we're playing in a league where lossers get relegated1

There's nothing positive to be said so just deal with it and hope that the players fix it

Wayne

#26 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Come on lads, lets compete today and you never know.

We did compete and for 60 minutes looked the better team, but as they say a game lasts for 80 - our problem was that in our 60 minutes we leaked soft tries and in their 20 they didn't - we did show that with the ball we can score but through our usual mistakes and giving away penalties we give teams field position and they seem to find it easy to score.

Not that I feel now bonus points alone will get us out of trouble but surely we should be making sure that when we have one and not likely to get two scores to win we control possession - that kick for touch and subsequent penalty ??? just don't understand that - but onto next week lets stay with the lads

#27 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Everyone is entitled to support their team in whatever way they want.  If they want to stop making the effort to follow a struggling team, as many do, so be it. We all know the areas where our team is failing at present and being critical of those failures is to be expected.

Whether it is the child who plods in last in the school egg and spoon race,  a team like ours at the bottom of its competition or the England "elite" heading for a World Cup with little chance of winning I think total negativity from followers is not helpful and will do nothing to improve the situation.  Saying everything is ######, whatever that means, is unlikely to build confidence in players. 

I was pleased to see a good number of the supporters, despite the disappointment of yet another loss, stay behind and applaud the considerable efforts of the players as they left the field dejected, battered and bruised after yesterday's game.  They deserved that at least after doing their best for the club. Others may not agree but to me that is what being a supporter is about.  

Edited by dummy scissors, 02 June 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#28 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

I've not commented on here for a while, mainly because of my own disappointment with some of the results but also because of some of the comments.

we spent nine years in NL2/CC1 did we not? So, no, it won't be the death of the club if we go down.

we are not relegated, nor will i go around declaring that we are. It sounds ridiculous as a fan when you run around saying that, even if it might turn out to be true. You support your team regardless, and if we're looking at the stats, we're three wins from the 2014 holy grail of 9th.

we should have won yesterday, as we should have won last week, but we didn't because of lack of composure in the last 40 mins. However, i don't believe we've lost a game (other than Leigh) by more than 15 points this season. And i don't need a reminder that we haven't picked up the points when we should have, but it should remind everyone not to write us off.

we play a solid (but so far, hit and miss) NWC team next week, and I've not written us off. And after that we play Rochdale at home, Barrow away and then Workington at home, fixtures that we are more than capable of getting points from. Get behind the lads, as we did yesterday and you never know, they might surprise you.

as for the 'we need a coach' comments...we didn't have a team at Christmas. Reality check please people, Watto and Marlon have us competing in every game and the lads are giving 100%. Sorry for the positivity, I'll crawl back into my bubble of hope and wait for the 'no, you're wrong, we're ####' comments from the more experienced, educated etc etc.

#29 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Very well said Bryce

Riggy

#30 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

I didn't go game due to working, but think it's imperative what I've read that we cut out the soft penalties, on a positive if we set our sights to beat the teams in a similar position to us there is possibilities we could turn it around, I believe Swinton gave a better performance from double grand final winners Sheffield who like Swinton, Doncaster turned it around in second half! , but that shows true grit on limited budgets on our players effort they do there best in difficult circumstances

Edited by mickburkes boots, 02 June 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#31 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

I could not go to the match yesterday and the team looked good on paper, which plenty of experience, so maybe the problem is too much coaching (not meant as a stupid comment) and maybe allowing players more freedom to be creative maybe the solution.

I agree there are still basic set of requirements to win a game, defend high balls, defend close to the try line and of course not gift the opposition ground by giving away penalties.............which is an area the team definitely can improve on.

I would also still prefer to see Morrison in the second row.......where I think his pace and ball handling skills would be of more benefit......

#32 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Nothing new to me on Sunday, though a much improved performance on Batley. - no wingers, no centres -  Thought we were fortunate that Doncaster drove up the middle and were very predictable (might even say boring!) - second half and they got the ball out wide (either through hands or a kick) and strolled in twice to seal it.

Three hookers, two full backs on the wings, no centres/wingers - the team is patched together and different every week (and DR is not to blame for that one).

Never felt in "control" of the game at any time but I was also disappointed in Doncaster who, given their league position looked only looked solid and rather one dimensional. That is the way to win games though and there is a lesson in just doing the basics in this league. (OR a few quid in the refs pocket of course ;) )

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#33 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

Nothing new to me on Sunday, though a much improved performance on Batley. - no wingers, no centres -  Thought we were fortunate that Doncaster drove up the middle and were very predictable (might even say boring!) - second half and they got the ball out wide (either through hands or a kick) and strolled in twice to seal it.

Three hookers, two full backs on the wings, no centres/wingers - the team is patched together and different every week (and DR is not to blame for that one).

Never felt in "control" of the game at any time but I was also disappointed in Doncaster who, given their league position looked only looked solid and rather one dimensional. That is the way to win games though and there is a lesson in just doing the basics in this league. (OR a few quid in the refs pocket of course ;) )

I think you're absolutely right, just doing the basics in our decision will win most games.

Sounds easy when you say it fast.

Wayne

#34 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

I've not commented on here for a while, mainly because of my own disappointment with some of the results but also because of some of the comments.
we spent nine years in NL2/CC1 did we not? So, no, it won't be the death of the club if we go down.
we are not relegated, nor will i go around declaring that we are. It sounds ridiculous as a fan when you run around saying that, even if it might turn out to be true. You support your team regardless, and if we're looking at the stats, we're three wins from the 2014 holy grail of 9th.
we should have won yesterday, as we should have won last week, but we didn't because of lack of composure in the last 40 mins. However, i don't believe we've lost a game (other than Leigh) by more than 15 points this season. And i don't need a reminder that we haven't picked up the points when we should have, but it should remind everyone not to write us off.
we play a solid (but so far, hit and miss) NWC team next week, and I've not written us off. And after that we play Rochdale at home, Barrow away and then Workington at home, fixtures that we are more than capable of getting points from. Get behind the lads, as we did yesterday and you never know, they might surprise you.
as for the 'we need a coach' comments...we didn't have a team at Christmas. Reality check please people, Watto and Marlon have us competing in every game and the lads are giving 100%. Sorry for the positivity, I'll crawl back into my bubble of hope and wait for the 'no, you're wrong, we're ####' comments from the more experienced, educated etc etc.

. how can the club survive on gates of 350,probably less next season.Last time we were in the bottom tier out crowds were bigger!

#35 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

We are not alone in falling gates, an article in RL Express quotes a gate of 11 k for Wakefield v Bradford last season, this weekends game between the two, a relegation battle, saw a crowd of just over 6 k now what's happened to 5k of those two clubs fans.
It also states that most clubs gates have fallen, it isn't just Swinton who are struggling.

#36 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

As far as the Lions are concerned we know what we need to do to improve crowds. A mixture of (1) local ground (2) winning matches (3) investment of resources in terms of promoting the club amongst businesses and public. One of these items is outside the club's power, one costs money (at least in terms of squad investment), & one costs time and money. But from where we started the season we HAVE made progress (and I don't mean down the league table). Of course the big disappointment is that we've not won more games, but we're not a million miles off. Please keep the faith, we've had some very interesting meetings recently and things might be looking up. Regardless of what division we're in next season this club is far from finished.

Edited by steve wild, 03 June 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#37 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

. how can the club survive on gates of 350,probably less next season.Last time we were in the bottom tier out crowds were bigger!

the last time we were top of CC1 crowds were bigger yes, but not necessarily every match at Sedgley. How did the club survive after the loss of Station Road, or in 2002 or in 2013? Get behind the club and the team, as I've already said, three big games coming up.

also, the club also survives because of the people that love Swinton Lions, that comment might help people get behind the likes of Watto and Marlon.

Edited by Bryce, 03 June 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#38 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Its a common human trait for every minor setback to be viewed as a potential disaster.
This club will survive.
Watson has done a tremendous job as coach and we are almost there as a team which to me is even more remarkable given our pre season and our squad.
I think you only have to look at Paul Rowley resurgence as a coach and the many clubs who change coach constantly and remain unsuccessful to see that patience and experience lead to success.

#39 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

Here comes my hat!
Many of the games have been disappointing and frustrating this year. Why? Because we were in the mix for nearly all of them! If we had been battered by 50 points every match some of these comments would be understandable but we are SO close. We have had huge selection issues and were STILL that close. Yes we did have an odd team out on the park on sunday but surely that was through necessity? And we were the better side for 60 mins! Were half way through the season and with a little luck with injuries, maybe the addition of Aspinwall, the return of our lucky Penny, more performances similar to the one shown by Andy Thornley, the return of Browny, a fully fit Menzies we can climb the league ladder to safety.

On the subject of relegation, if we did go down then we will come back up again with the possible backing of a visionary, maybe back in Swinton. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe we will be playing on the park for a while. But one thing is for sure......I'll be there!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#40 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

As far as the Lions are concerned we know what we need to do to improve crowds. A mixture of (1) local ground (2) winning matches (3) investment of resources in terms of promoting the club amongst businesses and public. One of these items is outside the club's power, one costs money (at least in terms of squad investment), & one costs time and money. But from where we started the season we HAVE made progress (and I don't mean down the league table). Of course the big disappointment is that we've not won more games, but we're not a million miles off. Please keep the faith, we've had some very interesting meetings recently and things might be looking up. Regardless of what division we're in next season this club is far from finished.

Always a tonic reading a Steve Wild posting.

"A mixture of (1) local ground..."  How very true!

"Please keep the faith, we've had some very interesting meetings recently and things might be looking up."

Edited by Blue Monkey, 03 June 2014 - 08:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users