Todays Game

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

I may as well start the ball rolling. I have felt as if  my wife and I have just thrown away another £50. That was a shabby performance and even when 10/12 points ahead, we looked far from confident. I stated last season and I will state again that no one in the halfbacks are creating try scoring chances. Our forwards are driving in but we have no one who is moving the ball around. The lack of an old experienced head is obvious.

All credit to the Bulldogs. They got us on the ropes and from there, there was no escape.

#2 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

I thought kainy n moore went ok today
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#3 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

whilst it was not the smoothest performance we have scored over 120 points in the last 3 games so I am not understanding that we are not creating scoring opportunities. add to that 3 disallowed scores today as well as a diabolical performance by the clown in the middle, losing greg very early ? i really dont know what you expect.
This is a tougher league than it has ever been, just look at sheffield. There are no gimmies in this league, so if you expect to see 50 & 60 nil wins every week for your £50, you will be waiting a long time.
Batley were putting us under pressure on the last tackle but we didnt do the same

Edited by Deano44, 01 June 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#4 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

whilst it was not the smoothest performance we have scored over 120 points in the last 3 games so I am not understanding that we are not creating scoring opportunities. add to that 3 disallowed scores today as well as a diabolical performance by the clown in the middle, losing greg very early ? i really dont know what you expect.
This is a tougher league than it has ever been, just look at sheffield. There are no gimmies in this league, so if you expect to see 50 & 60 nil wins every week for your £50, you will be waiting a long time.
Batley were putting us under pressure on the last tackle but we didnt do the same

I turned up at half time - got the KO time wrong so can't comment upon what went on first half.  But Batley's three tries, one came from a knock-on, one came from us losing the ball on the ground when our player was flopped - should have been a penalty to Fev, and one from a scrum that we at the bottom corner thought should have been a Fev scrum. The ref was atrocious, we had one penalty second half.  TBH I don't know where they get them from, also i was not aware that trainers were allowed to come on and question refereeing decisions.  Batley IMO  are a typical Kear side, laying on and slowing the PTB by any means possible.  If the game had gone on any longer we'd have lost.

Edited by Trojan, 01 June 2014 - 04:52 PM.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#5 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

All credit to the Bulldogs. They got us on the ropes and from there, there was no escape.

Blimey. I heard we won the game, but I'm not so sure now!

#6 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

If the game had gone on any longer we'd have lost.

no i dont think at any stage we looked like 'losing' that game

#7 sandalrover

sandalrover
  • Players
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

The ref was poor but A. Hay clearly still has" things to fix " . I don't know what Matt James has done wrong, I still think he has been one of our most effective forwards this season. We still look ropey under the high ball and we seem to concede a really soft try every game. Others may disagree but I think Locky is going backwards, he just hasn't clicked for me this year.

We have to remember we are still regarded as the team to beat and people do raise their game for us. I don't want to or expect to win by 50 every week but there is something frustrating about watching the lads at the moment, it's close but just not clicking.

Whinge over, I will still be there next week, and the week after, and after

#8 PonteBlue

PonteBlue
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

Was today so bad?

We never looked like losing - did you go?

#9 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

I liked the will sharp in touch decision. He wasn't in touch when he caught the ball. Cant wait to see dvd. 2 chances of tries from kicks and we get pulled for offside? Dvd will tell.

We never looked like losing today. Penelties got us on back foot but i think we out played them.

#10 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

I do not expect to be winning games by vast amounts but I do expect a methodical and ruthless approach to our game. We lack vision at times. Plenty of points for the coaches to work on, ie very slow line speeds at times, no one running the angles and too flat in attack. We are not a patch on the team of two seasons ago, IMO, whereby we played attractive flowing rugby, a joy to watch. Only stating as I see it, sorry.

#11 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

I liked the will sharp in touch decision. He wasn't in touch when he caught the ball.

I thought he was. And I was very close.

#12 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

We were never allowed to get any momentum today

10-0 up and cruising 3-0 up on pens it was obvious it would get evened up, think Batley got 6 on the bounce at one point and led to them kicking 2 points, offside from kicks for 3 disallowed tries? we are surely not that bad to be caught offside that many times

The second half was unbelieveable - how we didnt get a pen from Jono davies flop on Gareth moore was appalling - he was a good 3/4 seconds late and that last try Batley scored - how can you wave back to six, allow both teams to knock the ball on twice in the same play and then give it as a free play????

Ian Smith was there taking notes on the ref i believe - there was a lot of head shaking during the game so i expect to not see him in this league for a while

Andy Ellis was unbeliveable today - to do 70 mins because of Gregs injury was a testamant to how good this guy is - thought Bridge and Green both went well as well as Trout

Crossley has gone for me, his head is down Wheldon Road where he has signed for next season and pinching a pay packet from us this season, people who want to be here and put the effort in week in and out like Matt James who get dropped every now and again for no apparent reason is scandolous - well Bossy is back soon as well so if i was Hay id be releasing Crossley to go to cas early ASAP, the heart and effort isnt there anymore

32-14 it was all over and done, we went to sleep for me and let them back in it - that last 7 mins left a lot to be desired from our perspective - cant afford to do that next week against Dews

Edited by elppaxr2i, 01 June 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#13 Wireagle

Wireagle
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

I popped over to catch the game today. Firstly, it was another good contest and credit to Batley for stepping up. I'm seeing that Featherstone are a genuinely good side with some very talented players. If I had an observation, it's that the Featherstone game plan seems to be a bit predictable. Against lower championship sides it gets results because the Fev players are better, but against a team that's solid in the middle, such as Leigh are, the go forward is containable. That's how it looked when those sides met. A lower Super League team like say Wakefield or Hull KR would find it manageable. A bit more variety will be needed next season when the eights come into effect.

Good support today too. Great ground Batley's.

#14 Ricardo Taylor

Ricardo Taylor
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Great to go to Mont Blanc again an absorbing game for the wrong reasons. score line flattered Batley some what. Great to see Batley Bob but missed John Earnshaw

#15 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

Was today so bad?

We never looked like losing - did you go?

i did and no we never looked like we would lose that game at any point

#16 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Thought we were better than last week and that's all I want to see an improvement week on week As for matt James I don't know if he is injured but I would have him in at Loose forward before Lovkwood who was poor first half I also thought. Andy Kain was very good today and probably involved in most of the tries. Keep improving and let's see where we are come September

#17 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Andy Hay said that Matt James had a neck injury, but didn't comment on Flanagan's omission. I hope he rates Bozzy higher than John Bastian did, because we need his offloads and solid defence.

#18 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Fev were too good for us today, but only just ;)

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#19 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

2 big weeks coming up against Dewsbury & Doncaster at home. Halifax away at leigh in that period and also sheffield have some tough games away at dewsbury etc, doncaster go to dewsbury also. if these results go to form it would put us in pole position for second place. more DR's/signings in next week which will mean further chopping and changing. we need to get a settled side so we can start to gel

#20 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

i sat looking around at Batleys ground yesterday, it was bathed in sunshine and looked great. what Batley have done over the last few years whilst still keeping a good competetive side on the pitch, is incredible. they should be very proud.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users