TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

London RL Depth

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, my chairman saw the articles and did some digging around and instantly exclaimed "they're a bunch of ringers!"

Right now they have good organisation and if they win this bloody thing, I reckon a double promotion is on the cards.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#42 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

The Dockers played Wests in a friendly a month or so back, not making excuses, but we had a scratch team out, and they put 50 on us.

An organised side with plenty of lads wanting to play (they probably had over ten subs), and definitely on par with the better teams in division 1, which is really where they should be playing.

Looking forward to them coming to Newham for the return game, as they are a good side.

I fancy SWL to get the win in the cup final though.

Hopefully Wests move up to Div 1 sooner rather than later.

Looking forward to welcoming bbfaz and the Beckenham boys to East London this weekend though!

Edited by EastLondonMike, 11 June 2014 - 09:30 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#43 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

I'm looking forward to it too, Mike.  I think this will go some way to deciding who will be the minor premiers this season.

Not immediately obvious what structure next year will take.  Looking at the leagues, we have 14 distinct clubs in the London Men's League this season.   If Billericay continue, I assume they'll pushed off to the East region and South London are definitely joining, so we'll net out at 14 plus whomever shows up.

Staines are most certainly going to be relegated.  I don't think either of us are yet ready to replace them.  So to get a six-team division, we need Hammersmith to get their act together off the field.   Esher need some serious changes to survive; either fully buying in to being part of Esher RFC and basing the club out of there entirely or leaving Esher to be closer to their training venue and player base.  They're a good bunch but they're struggling.  One of our former players (and yours, Mike) turned out for them at the weekend after one training session.

With Staines and Wests, there'd be a reasonable footprint for next season.  Personally, I won't be pushing for promotion, no matter how the season goes. 

#44 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

and South London are definitely joining.

Yes! It's taken a bit of time but Storm are back! We haven't managed to find a game this weekend but we're playing Skolars B next week, and are entered into the Brighton 9s on the 28th. We're also looking for a couple of fixtures in July.

Small beginning, but next season we hope to be in the Regional competition again.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#45 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Yes! It's taken a bit of time but Storm are back!

It's amazing just how fragile rugby teams/clubs can be.  When I first started to get involved with St Albans, South London Storm were THE club in the south, winning the Harry Jepson Trophy, Southern Premierships,  Grand Finals and all sorts.  They were held up as a none heartlands club that succeeded and should be emulated by other clubs.  Then within a couple of years, things seemed to have gone wrong and the club went into freefall, then 'hibernation', but now they are back and starting all over again and I wish them all the best.  Given the title of this topic and some of the content posted, I think we should all be aware that it doesn't take much to harm any amateur rugby club. 

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#46 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'd say that most clubs are still very fragile and, by and large, depend upon the enthusiasm and generosity of a only a small handful of people.

For many years Storm were fortunate in that they had a stable base at S-C RFC, and plenty (though still not enough!) of quality volunteers. Sadly, the relationship with the rugby club went sour - problems on both sides, but mainly the RL - and the view that the grass would be greener elsewhere (a curse of London RL - as history seems to show, once a club starts moving around its days are numbered, with pretty much St Albans being the sole exception). Also, no one can keep going on year after year, so there were changes to personnel and, quite honestly, for the most part the replacements weren't a shadow of the originals.

I truly believe that Storm can get back up to where we were a number of years ago. Although distinct entities we're now working with Croydon Hurricanes and one ambition is the development of a clubhouse possibly at Lanfranc. The lack of these facilities certainly hampered the development of the Open Age when they originally moved there. The school has given a tentative thumbs up to us having one as part of the school's redevelopment. 

Plenty of hard work needed but good things can be achieved.  

#47 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

Be good to have the Storm back Graham. Maybe we could look at a friendly in July some time.. i think we have some free weekends. Drop me an email if your interested and we'll see what we can do. info at newhamdockers.co.uk

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#48 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

That would be great. We'll be in touch. Be fun to play against my lad.

Anyway... today's big news.

Skolars A 80 SOUTH LONDON STORM 22

Humble new beginnings, but the start of something good.

One-sided first 30 (40-0!) but competitive last half.

Huge thanks to Skolars for their hospitality and game at short notice.

#49 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

22 points against a Premier team is nothing to be sniffed at.  It's a good start, Graeme.

EDITED: As per additional info from LondonDrifter.

Put together tables at the halfway point of the season.  Unlike the RFL ones, I've factored in walkovers as it's unlikely games that have been walked over will be replayed before the end of the season.

London Men's League Premier Division

Pos Team           P   W   D   L   F    A    PD  Pts

1   SWL Chargers   5   5   0   0  203   46  157   10
2   Skolars A      5   4   0   1  149   81   68    8
3   Eastern        5   3   0   2  136  122   14    6
4   Hemel A        5   2   0   3  120  129   -9    4
5   St. Albans     5   1   0   4   86  192 -106    2
6   Staines        5   0   0   5   20  144 -124    0

London Men's League Division 1

Pos Team           P   W   D   L   F    A    PD  Pts

1   Beckenham      4   4   0   0  168   70   98    8
2   Newham         4   3   0   1  112   56   56    6
3   Chargers A     4   2   0   2   94   72   22    4
4   Esher          4   1   0   3   36  106  -70    2
5   Elmbridge      4   0   0   4   42  148 -106    0

Edited by bbfaz, 15 June 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#50 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

I believe Elmbridge cried off on Esher so the bottom 2 need to swap.

#51 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Edited the post with the new information.

#52 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

Just heard a rumour that Staines Titans have folded, leaving a five team London Prem League.

#53 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

sad to hear if true..

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#54 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Just heard a rumour that Staines Titans have folded, leaving a five team London Prem League.

Not folded but withdrawn from Premier I believe. Juniors still in action and I think open age might play Entry League?

#55 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

I thought something was up when I saw the referee appointments for this weekend.  Wests have taken over this weekend's fixture but I've had no response to my question as to whether they'll take over the fixtures for the rest of the season.

#56 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

I thought something was up when I saw the referee appointments for this weekend. Wests have taken over this weekend's fixture but I've had no response to my question as to whether they'll take over the fixtures for the rest of the season.

Wests haven't taken over this weeks fixture and won't going forward from what I hear ... Would you?

Bit of a lose lose situation!

#57 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

It was a suggestion apparently that they may be able to take on the fixtures but they couldnt play every week as the club have other things arranged on several weekends.

#58 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

All sweetness and light in the expansion areas then

#59 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

All sweetness and light in the expansion areas then

Well, yes and no I suppose, speaking from a St Albans point of view.  On the up side we have enough players to run two senior teams and three junior ones, and every one of the seniors, bar three ex pat northerners, is  a local lad.   On the down side, the difference in playing standards between clubs in the same league is the problem.

Edited by Exiled Townie, 20 June 2014 - 12:07 PM.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#60 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Good on them for not caving I suppose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users