Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury 48 Swinton 6 - discussion, highlights

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

In many parts of Yorkshire excitement is now growing about the Tour de France weekend of July 5th & 6th. Questions were raised a little while ago asking if the club or RFL intended to consider the arrangements for games scheduled on these dates and it was indicated that we should "wait and see" as some sort of announcement would be forthcoming. we have yet to hear anything.

Just to be clear, the interest in this event is enormous and the match that we have scheduled against Swinton on the 6th will be severely affected, in my opinion, if we simply go ahead with the proposed kick off time and date. I am sure that there will be many on here who will simply say that they're not interested in bikes, it's a French race, no-one in their right minds will bother etc, but I'm afraid that you would be wrong. The publicity is growing daily, loads of places (pubs, farms, villages, communities) are planning and promoting events; it is being presented as a "once in a lifetime" event; and even if individuals aren't so keen the pressure from kids, grandkids and others to attend will be massive. In Huddersfield alone the organisers are predicting that 100,000 will be watching somewhere on the 6th.

In my personal view, once again, the sensible option would be to consider switching to Friday 4th July. Can the club please tell us if they have any plans to change their arrangements for this fixture?

Edited by Tom Coates, 09 July 2014 - 02:32 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

In many parts of Yorkshire excitement is now growing about the Tour de France weekend of July 5th & 6th. Questions were raised a little while ago asking if the club or RFL intended to consider the arrangements for games scheduled on these dates and it was indicated that we should "wait and see" as some sort of announcement would be forthcoming. we have yet to hear anything.

Just to be clear, the interest in this event is enormous and the match that we have scheduled against Swinton on the 6th will be severely affected, in my opinion, if we simply go ahead with the proposed kick off time and date. I am sure that there will be many on here who will simply say that they're not interested in bikes, it's a French race, no-one in their right minds will bother etc, but I'm afraid that you would be wrong. The publicity is growing daily, loads of places (pubs, farms, villages, communities) are planning and promoting events; it is being presented as a "once in a lifetime" event; and even if individuals aren't so keen the pressure from kids, grandkids and others to attend will be massive. In Huddersfield alone the organisers are predicting that 100,000 will be watching somewhere on the 6th.

In my personal view, once again, the sensible option would be to consider switching to Friday 4th July. Can the club please tell us if they have any plans to change their arrangements for this fixture?

Despite my passion for the rams I will not be attending if the match is held on the 6th. This is indeed a once in a lifetime chance to see the Tour and all four of us will be watching bikes somewhere. Bad luck it falls on a home game of course...

#3 MirfieldRams

MirfieldRams
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I can't attend either as I'm a tour maker near York, so won't get back in time.

Friday night is a great call
Up The Rams

Mirfield Rams

#4 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 990 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

We don't want the problems like we had with the Wigan cup tie, best thing the club could do is make a statement about any change of date, if indeed we have one as soon as possible, so we can make arrangements about booking time off work.

#5 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

Think it is a great idea. Have to say that family wants to see the Tour de France, so I won't be attending if it's on a Sunday. Ideal fixture for Friday,they won't bring many anyway.

#6 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

We need a decision pretty soon for all concerned. I tried contacting the RFL to find out if that august body was making/announcing any arrangements, but couldn't get an answer.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#7 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Well I'm not interested in bikes and it's French anyway. The only way you would get me to a cycling event would be if they made them ride the old sit up and beg bikes with baskets on like they used to have. Can't think why anybody would want to struggle to park anywhere near the race, fight for overpriced drinks and grub and stand in the middle of a huge (potentially) crowd, to watch a procession of helmets wiz past in the blink of an eye. Be like Princess Di's funeral procession only over quicker IMO. Will the loss of those fans who watch SL on Friday be outweighed by those going to the TdF ?, debatable, but hey ho, the club will undoubtedly choose Friday, and I will have yet another unused season ticket voucher. Bah humbug. :rtfm:

#8 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Well I'm not interested in bikes and it's French anyway. The only way you would get me to a cycling event would be if they made them ride the old sit up and beg bikes with baskets on like they used to have. Can't think why anybody would want to struggle to park anywhere near the race, fight for overpriced drinks and grub and stand in the middle of a huge (potentially) crowd, to watch a procession of helmets wiz past in the blink of an eye. Be like Princess Di's funeral procession only over quicker IMO. Will the loss of those fans who watch SL on Friday be outweighed by those going to the TdF ?, debatable, but hey ho, the club will undoubtedly choose Friday, and I will have yet another unused season ticket voucher. Bah humbug. :rtfm:

another perfect example of how the club cant please everyone. whenever they place this game, you can guarantee people will be p****d off.

#9 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

move it to a Saturday 6pm or 6pm on a Sunday.Then nobody has to bok a day off.

#10 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Why not move it to either Friday or Saturday evening, but follow it up with a French or TdF themed bash in the Royal Suite after the game?

Only a suggestion!

Might be a bit like 'allo 'allo, but who would be Rene?

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

As I said GOR, many will say that they aren't interested, but I think you would be surprised just how many are, especially given the "once in a lifetime2 nature of the event. Considering the opposition I belive that we would be lucky to attract an attendance of 400 if we go ahead with the original date, but at least you would be happy, eh?

:sungum:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

Keep it on a Sunday I'm not back off holiday till late Saturday night haha :)

#13 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

I'm not interested in it , a sport ridiculously tainted by illegal substances. I'd be happy for the club to move the match but if they are it should have been done months ago to allow people to work around it. I guess it depends on if the main bar or other parts of the stadium are already booked.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#14 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Double post!!

Edited by Blind side johnny, 03 June 2014 - 12:39 PM.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#15 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

to watch a procession of helmets wiz past in the blink of an eye.

Dependant on where you decide to watch helmets will not always whizz by. ;)

move it to a Saturday 6pm or 6pm on a Sunday.Then nobody has to bok a day off.

6PM on a Sunday would not be any good. Wherever you decide to watch the race you still have to get from there, with everyone else leaving at the same, to the Rams. Possible but a logistical nightmare unless you enjoy sitting in nose to tail traffic not moving ver fast at all.

#16 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

As I said GOR, many will say that they aren't interested, but I think you would be surprised just how many are, especially given the "once in a lifetime2 nature of the event. Considering the opposition I belive that we would be lucky to attract an attendance of 400 if we go ahead with the original date, but at least you would be happy, eh?

:sungum:

Death is a once in a lifetime experience too - and I'm not looking forward to that either. :onthequiet:

#17 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

Cant believe this were pushing for a top four and were more bothered about a cycle race.Its a bit more than that i know and im going to see it but my rugby team comes first.I dont see why the lads should be punished for having to work Friday night,

#18 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

Death is a once in a lifetime experience too - and I'm not looking forward to that either. :onthequiet:

Depends where your going dont fancy your chances.lol 

#19 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

So the lads can take another day off work to please the ones who want to watch a boring race that you will see for a split few seconds live?? boring if you ask me. im on holiday the friday night and would be back saturday night,intime for a sunday kickoff... I book holidays so i dont miss home games like :) however whatever the club choose i will understand and wont kickoff like coolie...BECAUSE you cant please everyone ;-) Heres a thought, what about making the game bring a mate for free or for a fiver to season ticket holders to try get afew more in? It would help the gate for whatever date we choose, which i hope will be sunday 

Edited by christheram, 03 June 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#20 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Cant believe this were pushing for a top four and were more bothered about a cycle race.Its a bit more than that i know and im going to see it but my rugby team comes first.I dont see why the lads should be punished for having to work Friday night,

AGREED!!