Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury 48 Swinton 6 - discussion, highlights

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#21 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

No game on skysports on the friday night anyway,just checked so i reckon it may be a friday night match we go for. I think a club statement is needed ASAP though so people can make plans for friday, if working

#22 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

So the lads can take another day off work to please the ones who want to watch a boring race that you will see for a split few seconds live?? boring if you ask me.

Ever been to a live cycle race such as the TdeF DTID? If not how do you kow it's boring? The 12 million spectators along the route in a typical year's race obviously don't think so neither does the TV audience of 3.5 billion either.

#23 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

So the lads can take another day off work to please the ones who want to watch a boring race that you will see for a split few seconds live?? boring if you ask me. im on holiday the friday night and would be back saturday night,intime for a sunday kickoff... I book holidays so i dont miss home games like :) however whatever the club choose i will understand and wont kickoff like coolie...BECAUSE you cant please everyone ;-) Heres a thought, what about making the game bring a mate for free or for a fiver to season ticket holders to try get afew more in? It would help the gate for whatever date we choose, which i hope will be sunday 

That wasn't the point of my OP Chris. i will miss the match if it is on the 6th but, as I'm a season ticket holder, the club won't be worse off and that's OK in my book. My concern is that the club faces hosting a match in front of a very low turnout, which does concern me.

We struggled to attract 700 on Sunday with good away support - in early July with a competing world event on our doorstep and a modest turnout from Swinton fans we would struggle even more. i was simply making a suggestion that the club might consider a pre-emptive move.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

Ever been to a live cycle race such as the TdeF DTID? If not how do you kow it's boring? The 12 million spectators along the route in a typical year's race obviously don't think so neither does the TV audience of 3.5 billion either.

Hmmm! 40% of the world's population watched it did they?

Never trust statistics Heckler (unless I quote them).

:tongue:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

We struggled to attract 700 on Sunday with good away support

certainly loud but far from numerous!

#26 barackoRAMa

barackoRAMa
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

The bike processioin is on both the 5th and 6th.simples ,watch the bikes on Saturday and then the proper sport on sunday

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

The bike processioin is on both the 5th and 6th.simples ,watch the bikes on Saturday and then the proper sport on sunday

Do you have maps in your house?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hmmm! 40% of the world's population watched it did they?

Never trust statistics Heckler (unless I quote them).

:tongue:

http://letour.yorksh...rance-the-facts

looks like they did BSJ.

sixth bullet point down.

Edited by il cattivo, 03 June 2014 - 07:07 PM.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#29 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

That wasn't the point of my OP Chris. i will miss the match if it is on the 6th but, as I'm a season ticket holder, the club won't be worse off and that's OK in my book. My concern is that the club faces hosting a match in front of a very low turnout, which does concern me.

We struggled to attract 700 on Sunday with good away support - in early July with a competing world event on our doorstep and a modest turnout from Swinton fans we would struggle even more. i was simply making a suggestion that the club might consider a pre-emptive move.

I know what your saying mate, and I'm in same boat as you if we play Friday instead of Sunday. Crusaders brought 1 coach load of 50 and about 20 in cars. That's what their fans said in the bar after match because they all stood together at the top side of the southstand and all got behind their team, which proves what we could all do if the supporters at the back of the southstand sang.. wasn't many of them but boy, they made some great noise. They had no fans at all in the north stand. Best away fans by far for noise :) Swinton will bring about 20 to 50, if that. Heres a thing, whatever the club do, why don't we make it bring a friend for free for season ticket holders, or bring a mate for a fiver?? Which ever night we play? We've nothing to lose doing it against Swinton. We had 638 home fans at Sundays match with no curtain raiser that usualy adds about between 80 to 100 on gate and afew faces missing due to holidays or whatever. We ain't batley just yet, but the club should be doing more to get fans in and I honestly believe we will miss out on a few hundred if we don't do bring a mate for a fiver like afew seasons ago. Bring a mate for a fiver v Sheffield got us a crowd of 1100 at home... 700 last season I'm afraid, without the offer...

Edited by christheram, 03 June 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#30 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

whats the TdF , am i missing something ?

#31 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

whats the TdF , am i missing something ?

here's a man who may know what's happening for the Swinton game.. Or could push for an official statement ;) GFDU, over to you..

#32 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Depends where your going dont fancy your chances.lol 

I'd guess the crematorium TBH. ;) Having my ashes scattered in the Batley trophy room where I'll get some peace. I await piggy's barbed response. :tongue:

#33 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

I have the simple solution. Simply move it to another day.

Ok logistically it may be difficult but I am sure the ones organising the Tour would be willing move their event.  :tongue:

#34 barackoRAMa

barackoRAMa
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Do you have maps in your house?

Yes thanks

#35 Monkbar

Monkbar
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

3.5 billion? lol how ridiculous. Some quick googling reveals a figure closer to 40 million for the 'peak' stages. I couldn't think of much more boring but each to their own.

#36 Flattopper

Flattopper
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

Some combination of the words "watching", "dry", "paint" and "prefer" would describe my reaction to an opportunity to see Le Tour De France.  If they planned to ride around my backyard (which is all nicely paved for them in deference to my sciatica) I'd pull the curtains shut.

A R(EA)L RL fan would not even consider it for a nanosecond as an alternative to watching his/her team play. The only guys in hooped shirts he/she will be watching won't be wearing berets, and the only onion rings in which he/she will be interested will be those in the half-time snack bar.

BUT there's no doubt there could be some family pressure for hikes towards the bikes, in which case now is the hour to demonstrate who wears the trousers/leggings. 

Got to go now, SWMBO wants running to the supermarket.

#37 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

http://letour.yorksh...rance-the-facts

looks like they did BSJ.

sixth bullet point down.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics - Mark Twain.

To suggest 40% of the global population watched the Tour De France is ridiculous and a fiddle of numbers. HALF of the world live on less than £1.50 per day, do you really think they all rush home to watch the Tour De France? Come on, we're talking about 2.5 Billion living in India and China combined. Can you imagine it now, all gathered around a TV watching a European bike race.

Typical of a sport filled with cheats and corruption and I'll be honest - If the Tour De France was past my living room window I still couldn't muster up even the slightest bit of arsedness about it which seems to be the feeling of everyone else I know too.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#38 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

probably the best example of a sport that the country is only interested in once a year (and then every four years when it's the olympics). rest if the time its confined to eurosport with the sumo wrestling and lacrosse.

#39 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

an absolute triumph of marketing though. much like the froch-groves fight. live attendance at the event is nothing to do with getting a better view or understanding of the action, because surely if you were interested in the intricacies of the race / fight etc youd be better off watching it on telly instead of getting to watch just a shred of the event or watch the event from a ridiculous distance.

its all about saying you were "there".

unfortunately bread and butter domestic rugby league in this country doesnt have that appeal.

Edited by Jason Basin, 04 June 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#40 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

OK, I hear what everyone says.

I'm wrong, it won't affect the gate one iota.

:banghead:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users