Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury 48 Swinton 6 - discussion, highlights

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#41 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

i dont think itll affect the gate any more than half term did. but nobody really knows for sure.

point is that whatever the club does itll be hit by an avalanche of criticism. you may be thinking about the bigger picture, but a lot of dewsbury fans think only about their own preferences. and generally their preference is sundays at 3.00pm, especially those whove already bought a season ticket and booked their holidays around home games.

#42 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

i dont think itll affect the gate any more than half term did. but nobody really knows for sure.

point is that whatever the club does itll be hit by an avalanche of criticism. you may be thinking about the bigger picture, but a lot of dewsbury fans think only about their own preferences. and generally their preference is sundays at 3.00pm, especially those whove already bought a season ticket and booked their holidays around home games.

Agreed. The other point is, where do you draw the line ? Change the date for the tdf and then what - well there's a footy tournament coming up, and England matches might clash with Rams games, So do we change those ? what about wombledon ? World kabadi championships ? The club will undoubtedly do what they think best.

#43 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

Sunday for me anyway, dont like missing home games and im on holiday until late saturday night. sunday, bring a mate for a fiver for season ticket holders, dish out free junior tickets in town on the saturday and with a bit of luck wel get  more around 1k for the match. Thats what id do anyway. Big bargain promotions by the club usualy get taken up. ie, the cheap 900 season tickets we sold the year we won every league game in champ one, and bring a mate for free or for a fiver increases the gate usualy by 300 plus.. Lets try make it a positive and instead of talking down the crowd, lets make it a decent crowd.... 

Edited by christheram, 04 June 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#44 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

Ever been to a live cycle race such as the TdeF DTID? If not how do you kow it's boring? The 12 million spectators along the route in a typical year's race obviously don't think so neither does the TV audience of 3.5 billion either.

Anybody whos never seen a big tour event its well worth seeing.Its not just a bunch of riders taking 30 secs to go passed.Yove the press and team buses etc. coming through.It takes at least an hour maybe the tour de france will take longer.Just make sure you can get back to the ground for kick off.

#45 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

If the match is on Sunday, then it will need some extra marketing, bring a friend for a fiver, etc.. To counter those of us who will be missing.

#46 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

If the match is on Sunday, then it will need some extra marketing, bring a friend for a fiver, etc.. To counter those of us who will be missing.

. Agreed but is anyone from the club listening??? As anyone contacted the club for a statement in case they haven't read the forum? If nothing's announced by tmora il give Angie a ring and ask her if the club can do a statement so we all know what's happening.

Edited by christheram, 04 June 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#47 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

The Club will make an announcement once Swinton respond to the proposed change
offered by the Rams. The 2 clubs have to agree before any amendment will be
approved by the RFL.

The original contact was made in early May.

#48 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

The Club will make an announcement once Swinton respond to the proposed change
offered by the Rams. The 2 clubs have to agree before any amendment will be
approved by the RFL.

The original contact was made in early May.

. Thanks WR.. Will the club be doing any promotions for the match? This match would be an ideal match for bring a mate for a fiver...

#49 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

OK, I hear what everyone says.

I'm wrong, it won't affect the gate one iota.

:banghead:

now, now BSJ, we know you don't mean it! Youre spot on as ever. I ain't asking the club to move the game. It never crossed my mind, but you know what? Whatever the merits or otherwise of moving the game and I fully appreciate that most don't want it moved we will struggle to get 500 that day. As I mentioned there are 4 of us who won't be at the match.

#50 Ambler

Ambler
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:13 AM

I'm not interested in it , a sport ridiculously tainted by illegal substances. I'd be happy for the club to move the match but if they are it should have been done months ago to allow people to work around it. I guess it depends on if the main bar or other parts of the stadium are already booked.

A sport tainted by illegal substances................bit like the pot calling the kettle black is it not??? 

#51 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

RL has had issues but a drop in the ocean compared to cycling. It's an endemic issue any comparison to RL is frankly laughable.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#52 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

The clubs in a no win situation here.However if they put it to a Friday its the same people that will suffer again.It seems its a group that want to do something else and want the rugby moved to fit in with their plans.How many other events will be played in Yorkshire that weekend are they all been moved.??

#53 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

The TdF will be massive. My house is literally on the route and the level of interest is beyond anything I have seen. Just about every village is having a festival, ours in fact is having a 3 day event. Don't under-estimate the wider appeal bearing in mind it is free to watch and only a short drive on the Sunday to see the event pass by.

#54 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

The clubs in a no win situation here.However if they put it to a Friday its the same people that will suffer again.It seems its a group that want to do something else and want the rugby moved to fit in with their plans.How many other events will be played in Yorkshire that weekend are they all been moved.??

Disingenuous in the extreme Equalizer! If you had read my posts you would know that my concerns lie with the impact upon the club itself due to the potential for a low attendance, and not with my personal circumstances. To state that this is simply due to selfishness as you imply is completely unacceptable.

To answer you other question, only one other RL match is being played in West Yorkshire on that date this being Bulls vs Catalans.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#55 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Rams announce Swinton date change: http://eepurl.com/WmLTP

#56 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

Some use that is. I will be camping out at that time of night in readiness for the TdF!

Legs, Dews, Legs.

#57 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

any special promotions for the game?? i cant make friday now,on holiday so i hope the club are going to try sort some of promotion out to boost the crowd!?? 

#58 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

You can't please everyone.

My preference is for RL and I'd go as far as saying this will always win over other sports, no matter how big the event is.

At least the club have made the announcement 4 weeks before, enough time for those that don't have pre booked arrangements to get to the revised kick off.

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#59 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

THE GAME NOW CLASHES WITH AN ENGLAND WORLD CUP QUARTER FINAL!!!! THINK WEL BE LOOKING AT A LOT WORSE CROWD FOR THE FRIDAY THAN A SUNDAY NOW IF ENGLAND MAKE THE QUARTERS...... WEL LOSE MORE WATCHING ENGLAND IN FOOTBALLTHAN A STUPID BIKE RACE!!!!! ENGLAND MAKE THE QUARTERS IM AFRAID ITS 200 CROWD,IF THAT!! WHERE AS A SUNDAY WOULD BE ALOT LOT MORE!!! POOR CHOICE BY THE CLUB IF ENGLAND GET TO QUARTERS..... DID WE ACTUALLY CONSIDER THIS BEFORE THE STUPID BIKE RACE???? THANKS TO THE WINGE BRIGADE, YOUVE ALL PROBS LOST CLUB AFEW HUNDRED ON GATE NOW IF ENGLAND MAKE QUARTERS...... WELDONE

Edited by christheram, 06 June 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#60 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

...and so it begins...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users