Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shontayne Hape

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Just noticed an article in the Scotsman that Hape has had to retire due to severe side effects from multiple concussions. Apparently he can't even remember his PIN codes any more and is suffering from depression as a result.

A very sad end to a career. Best of wishes to him in recovering his life and moving on in a new career.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

A quick search on my phone brought this article up;
http://www.dailymail...depression.html

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

See the "Concussion" thread on the main RL forum and the link to the New Zealand Herald article. A very disturbing read.

Edited by Futtocks, 02 June 2014 - 08:28 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,356 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

http://www.totalrl.c...ith-concussion/

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hard to find things when on the mobile version on a ratty GPRS signal :(

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

In your situation, shouldn't you be keeping an ear out for distant duelling banjos?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Click here

http://www.totalrl.c...ith-concussion/

28m391z.jpg

#8 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,534 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

I am not sure you have really got the hang of this 'entering the wilderness and getting away from it' thing.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#9 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Here's a link to a BBC article about this issue:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-union/27655550

And a link to an article about an inquest following the death of a former Irish RU player, Kenny Nuzum, who died from with CTE aged 57:-

http://brendanfannin....wordpress.com/

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

I am not sure you have really got the hang of this 'entering the wilderness and getting away from it' thing.

Life's a bit boring if you have everything as absolutes. 95%+ utter silence, <5% civilisation. I think I got it right this time. I'll post a couple of pics of that 95%+ later!

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Referring to Suffolk or The Trossachs?

#12 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

There are areas around here in Suffolk where people still stop and point at aircraft and think that colour TV is a myth.

#13 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,534 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

Referring to him being on-line.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013