Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Amnrl finally dead?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

i think this is a very hard question. in one hand you need those "big " markets so you can bring in the needed sponsorship along with a possiblity of having games on tv ( i would assume thats usarl's ultimate goal) but at the same time a vast majority of the Big markets are so saturated with sports options for the fans that you set up clubs in those markets to essentially fail, granted there are some sports teams in nitch sports that are established but that doesnt mean it will always work. now with small markets you have a bigger chance of having clubs succeed because there are less options for fans to choose from in stead of rugby league. but again if you have the league playing in locations that barely have 200k then its going to  be a up hill battle.

now the usarl has clubs in the right market to get the ball rolling, what i would like to see is to look at smaller/mid markets moving forward. raleigh north Carolina, Charleston west Virgina.

#22 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,493 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

When starting from scratch with an amateur sport, you start teams where there are enthusiasts and no other teams.  The places to avoid starting teams are wherever there is a club already - local games are good, but I am a firm believer that as soon as two clubs are competing for the same players they are both in trouble.

A small town may be able to become a mass spectator sport in that small town as there are fewer other attractions.  It is the big city where a sport much, in hte wealthier parts of the western world, find a social niche as much as a geographical niche.  It must also be able to generate a good income from what will be fairly small crowds (so rich people are a good place).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#23 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thank you both. I guess the good thing about the US, is pretty much every town will have a decent high school stadium, if not a college stadium too. It would be good to see some teams out west as well. 

The places to avoid starting teams are wherever there is a club already - local games are good, but I am a firm believer that as soon as two clubs are competing for the same players they are both in trouble.

I think that's one of the problems with the remaining AMNRL teams, two are smaller towns within spitting distance of Philadelphia, which would be hard to compete with. There's three other NY teams, but they're all in different places and NY is a big state, so that should be fine and of course Connecticut, who are now the only team there. Hopefully these AMNRL teams can have a new identity if they join the USARL, too much of an NRL copycat imo. 

#24 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

what would be nice to see is these current ( and should make it a requirement) and incoming clubs have a B side team playing in a "minor league" system or reserve league, similar to what the MLS had and what some union clubs do. it can bed a be a developmental system to get new league players some playing time before they actually start for the top side, vs risking losing interest from players who sit on the bench all season. not saying this happens but it gets guys playing time and a chance to continue to develop there skills.

what Jacksonville and the southern conference is planning on doing and has done in the past is a great idea and shows it helps with there over all league standings. constantly a top side.

usarl is starting off on the right foot and they could become a MLL/NLL of rugby league in this country.

#25 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,493 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Thank you both. I guess the good thing about the US, is pretty much every town will have a decent high school stadium, if not a college stadium too. It would be good to see some teams out west as well. 

I think that's one of the problems with the remaining AMNRL teams, two are smaller towns within spitting distance of Philadelphia, which would be hard to compete with. There's three other NY teams, but they're all in different places and NY is a big state, so that should be fine and of course Connecticut, who are now the only team there. Hopefully these AMNRL teams can have a new identity if they join the USARL, too much of an NRL copycat imo. 

Very true.  The USA is very different financially and the stakes are higher.  More facilites are available, but a higher standard is expected and it costs.  However, rich men like to throw their money at sport in a way that it would be wasted on fashion, arts or eltist sports in Europe.

what would be nice to see is these current ( and should make it a requirement) and incoming clubs have a B side team playing in a "minor league" system or reserve league, similar to what the MLS had and what some union clubs do. it can bed a be a developmental system to get new league players some playing time before they actually start for the top side, vs risking losing interest from players who sit on the bench all season. not saying this happens but it gets guys playing time and a chance to continue to develop there skills.

what Jacksonville and the southern conference is planning on doing and has done in the past is a great idea and shows it helps with there over all league standings. constantly a top side.

usarl is starting off on the right foot and they could become a MLL/NLL of rugby league in this country.

I disagree with asking too much initially. A good plan and backers is the most important thing.  Getting a team off the ground is tough and a few games are required initially to make make it work.  Having two teams initially is asking too much.  However, I see the problem as similar.  The idea of a major club representing the region and feeder clubs (possibly mainly 9's) beneath that could work.  Also, most youth will give up sport when entering adulthood, one adult team will therefore require a number of youth teams to feed it (something the structure of most American sport already recognises).  

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#26 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

maybe not right away but it should be a requirement for a club to make happen, say with in 3 years. and what the RIR and the clubs up north are doing with starting a youth league is a great plan. teach kids at a young age abour rugby league. so that after college or earlier they already know about the sport and could still pick it up. vs starting from scratch. 

#27 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

I actually think the problem is the teams are actually too far apart.  For instance, wouldn't the New York metro area be better served with a smaller amateur league?  There are several leagues just for other "niche" sports like cricket and soccer and yet there's not even one for RL.  Just doesn't make sense to me.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#28 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

I think the trouble with comparing RL to cricket and soccer is that for those games you can pretty much just show up and play. With regards to RL, the collisions are so intense that you'd be crazy to just show up and play. So you are either asking for a greater time commitment from people to get to practices (Not easy in today's world) or asking them to risk getting hurt by just showing up and not really knowing what they are doing. 

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#29 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Is there a chance in the future that the season will be longer? It seems too short for me, I'd like to see a 5 month season if possible. 

#30 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

I think its goanna happen. maybe extended by a few more weeks I could see regular season going to 12 weeks or so. even if usarl gets teams from Midwest/ west coast itll be smart to split the league and just have teams play 2-4 cross over games and champion from west and east play for final. vs everyone plays everyone.

#31 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hi sjrugby ,

Recently we d a Rugby League World Cup. The USA team  that played was largely made up of players from Australia to make it more competitive . Is this a way forward to promote the game in the USA?

#32 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

its good attempt. but no it is not. how can you promote a unknown game to Americans when in reality you aren't using any americans to represent there own country let alone even live in the same states , neighbor hoods and blocks as me and you. now if they where to use Australian Americans who have lived her and played in the AMNRL & USARL then sure i could see it help pick up steam. this past WC is prime example. sure it got some blurb here and there but no one really cared because once people noticed it wasnt really americans but some silly rule because they where ether born or there great grandma was from usa they can represent usa no one cared.

#33 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:29 AM

any news form any amrnl team?

#34 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,493 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

any news form any amrnl team?

Most of their Facebook pages have not been updated this year.  If any have been, then I have not seen them.  Indeed, Curtis Cunz does not mention being President of the AmNRL on his linkedin page:

https://www.linkedin...SRPcmpt:primary

Edited by Bob8, 03 July 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#35 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

I guess we will see, what ever clubs are hasn't folded, join at end of usarl season or during the off season leading up to 2015

#36 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

I guess we will see, what ever clubs are hasn't folded, join at end of usarl season or during the off season leading up to 2015

#37 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

Its official http://stevemascord....amnrl-to-fold/ 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#38 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

Chicago notified me via twitter that they are in contact with usarl to join next season and iowa already said they plan to join also

#39 sjrugby

sjrugby
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:40 AM

this is dumb, okay i can understand maybe the players part but 1) the ensuring that a player is kept the captian should be tossed out, that choice should be left up to the Head coach 2) the coaching staff was part of the old regime not the new GB. if the usarl wants someone from AMERICA or any of the clubs here in the states they should be able to versus being handicapped by a staff that they didnt want.

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz3APaDdESS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users