All things NZ Warriors

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

NRL Chief operating Oficer Jim Doyle is set to take over the Running of the Warriors next year.

Current Ceo Wayne Schurrah is resigning.

In line with this, the experiment with playing at Eden Park is over for 2015 at least.

Probably 90 %  +  of Warriors fans are happy Waynes going and ecstatic someone of Jims pedigree is going to lead the Franchise into the Future.

Jim did a fantastic Job saving the NZRL.

As such he knows the game here and at NRL HQ.....more insight into NZ's situation than anyone in the sport.

I have to say after premature optimism about the Warriros season , things are starting to align for the club with the new coach changing the way the team plays and head office sorting itself out.

The Warriors will have to find a way to compensate for Wayne Schurrahs merchandising genius....he sold more of our product than anyone to the tune of 25 Million in profit for the Warriors last year.

http://www.stuff.co.....currah-resigns

Edited by mt smart, 03 June 2014 - 03:48 AM.

#2 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

The head of the NRL integrity and compliance Unit, Nick Weeks, will continue to report to Doyle.

This would be a tad 'odd' if it continued into next year ?

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#3 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

This would be a tad 'odd' if it continued into next year ?

i couldn't see that qote in the article ( reading must be filing me ).

Odd indeed if were the case unless Weeks instn't ready to take over Doyles role.

Confflict of interest ?

#4 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

SOUTH SYDNEY                                                                            
1 G Inglis
2 A Johnston
3 D Walker
4 K Auva'a
5 J Reddy
6 J Sutton (captain)
7 A Reynolds
8 G Burgess
9 I Luke
10 D Tyrrell
11 K Turner
12 B Te'o
13 S Burgess

Interchange:
14 A Koroisau
15 J Clark
16 C McQueen
17 T Burgess

Nib Stadium, Perth

7.30pm, Saturday, June 7

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 Sam Tomkins

2 David Fusitua

3 Konrad Hurrell

4 Ngani Laumape

5 Manu Vatuvei

6 Chad Townsend

7 Shaun Johnson

8 Jacob Lillyman

9 Nathan Friend

10 Suaia Matagi

11 Jayson Bukuya

12 Ben Matulino

13 Simon Mannering ©

Interchange:

14 Siliva Havili

15 Sam Rapira

16 Feleti Mateo

17 Sebastine Ikahihifo

18 Tuimoala Lolohea

20 Charlie Gubb

#5 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

This will be a War folks.

The Warriors & Rabbitohs love playing in Perth. The time zone thing has some Warriors concerned.

Interesting that the two furtherest trips for the Warriors this year have been scheduled to be played Late.

The trip to North Queensland Saw the Warriros finish that game at one am in the morning NZ Time.

This Game will end at One thrity in the Morning NZ time.

I guess home teams are entitled to seek every adavantage allowable , is a competition alls fair in love and war.

The Warriors under New Coach McFadden are a different outfit. Their lingering problem is maintaining possesion and completing sets , otherwise their other core problems have been repaired in the seven games of McFaddens tenure.

It's been interesting to see them switch to a more structured style of play , that wouldn't be possible without the additions of Tomkins and Townsend.

The for and against tally is telling....post Mcfadden there has been a seventy point turn around....in that period the Warriors have gone from 16th defensively to equal second ( seven games tally not the years averages which is obviously lower ). Their attack sits at the top of the NRL. 

Maintain those stats and wins will come....I'm feeling positive with the consistency more so than our four from seven wins under McFadden.....two losses were by a collective score of five points ( one point and four point losses to the Dogs ).

This game offers the chance for the Warriors to learn to close out late V one of the big boys.

The Souths forwards are mind boggling. Big challenge , there will be some tremendos hits in this game.

Edited by mt smart, 03 June 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#6 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

Doyle is a big signing. Well done Warriors. Big loss for the NRL but fortunately still in Rugby League.

#7 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:01 AM

Don`t get too excited with the Warriors` resurgence,impressive though it might be at the moment. As soon as you think they`ve turned the corner,they come up with abject performances a la Penrith. The really worrying thing is that none of them seem to be able to "put their finger" on what goes so pitifully wrong. I`m with you,Mt.Smart,I`d love the Warriors to do well and win the comp,but somehow I think a few swallows do not make a summer.

#8 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

That quote was the end line in a New Ltd article

In the Telegraph & other NL publications

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#9 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

Don`t get too excited with the Warriors` resurgence,impressive though it might be at the moment. As soon as you think they`ve turned the corner,they come up with abject performances a la Penrith. The really worrying thing is that none of them seem to be able to "put their finger" on what goes so pitifully wrong. I`m with you,Mt.Smart,I`d love the Warriors to do well and win the comp,but somehow I think a few swallows do not make a summer.

Totaly agree.

Matt Elliot came closest to putting his finger on the problem. Well it's more than a problem I could write a novel about why the Warriors are up and down.

CLearly there are things they are good at. Running with the ball, and offloading. To keep this breif the things they are not good at are everything else that it takes to be a rugby league player / team. That's because of the crude development pathway here and the lack of Skills coaches , a small talent pool and noone taking an overview till Elliot got here and treid to align the Juniors and reserves to the first grade teams plan.

Very bad way to run an NRL franchise.

Where Mcfadden has it over Elliot is that he communicates those ideas well to the players. The thing that I'm excited about is seven eighty minute efforts , poor ball handling and turn overs aside, I can see where Mcfadden is targeting the Warriors chronic issues by moving players to new positions and having them stick to a game plan...win or lose....show some patience.

The line speed has improved. For that to happen they had to unravel the damage Ivan Cleary did ( best intentions ) of having too many tradesmen high tackle players cover for other people in the team that are poor defenders.

Johnson and Hurrell are having to make their own tackles under Mcfadden, skinny roving backrowers have been replaced by Big men Like Matulino and Ikahihifo. Voss keeps fapping on about the Warriors new offensive defence. That's come about from changing the Cleary approach.

Sam Tomkins has given the Warriors another player who can pass a ball ( better than any of them in fact ). Chad Townsend looks to be slowly fitting in.

The Key thing is that it has been refereshing to see those three players , stick to a game plan , play continuous structured football ( poorly at first...mistake riddled ) but in time that is where the 'finger' needed to pointed.

Hoffmans on his way to fill a specific role. Run off the short balls from Townsend that Matulino has scored three Try's off ( Matulino never scores ) there is a plan and while there have been so many false dawns.....the Warriors best chance is to have a clear template to use their runners and put away the adlib stuff till it is really needed to try to win close games.

I've written this season off as a rebuilding year.

Permanent change at the Warriors will be measured by whether or not they are competiting past the ill famed 65 minute mark.

Keep that up for the rest of the Season and I'l be over the moon.....seven games down , 14 to go.

Edited by mt smart, 05 June 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#10 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

hmm the moles saying that Johnson could be out with a groin injury.

That would pretty much kill off the Warriors chances.

That's the way the cookie crumbles. Fingers crossed  Johnson plays and there is stil a quality game for the fans.

Young kid Tuimoala Lolohea will make his NRL debit in Johnsons place if that's the way it pans out.

#11 Bondi Cannon

Bondi Cannon
  • Coach
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Mt Smart I've noticed in several otherwise-excellent posts you've claimed this figure of a $25m profit at the Warriors - can you substantiate this figure? The club most years breaks-even at best and posted small profits in two years back in the Mick Watson days. I am sure they are marginally profitable now but they wouldn't even turnover $25m a year, let alone record a $25m profit. Player wages and costs eat the entire NRL grant and some and operating income would only cover the rest. 

#12 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

Another question for you Mt Smart, what is your assessment of Lolohea?

I've heard good things about him but can he step up to first grade in the halves at such a young age?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#13 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

Mt Smart I've noticed in several otherwise-excellent posts you've claimed this figure of a $25m profit at the Warriors - can you substantiate this figure? The club most years breaks-even at best and posted small profits in two years back in the Mick Watson days. I am sure they are marginally profitable now but they wouldn't even turnover $25m a year, let alone record a $25m profit. Player wages and costs eat the entire NRL grant and some and operating income would only cover the rest. 

That figure is a quote from the outgoing CEO Wayne Scurrah , he announced it while I was at last years membership foum at Mt Smart in defence of the number of different Jerseys the Warriors are playing in these days.

So I can't substantiate the profit statement , I heard Wayne repeat that twenty five million dollar claim in several radio interviews ( again when Schurrah is challenged by the media about the  masses of different Jerseys the team wears  he rolls out the twenty five million dollar profit from merchandising sales ).

It's a figure that's bandied about a bit on Warriors fan forums by posters debating the excessive Jerseys.

As you know the club doesn't have to declare it's profits to anyone apart from the taxman.....Schurrah spiels off that figure a lot. 

He has been known to tell porkies about other things in the past......but I and others took him and the club at their word on this one.

Schurrah was a successful businessman in Womens fashions ( I think the brand was Bendon ) before he took over the CEO Job here. 

He has been the master mined of the merchandising and claims the Warriors outstrip all other NRL clubs in sales by some distance which is where the profit has been driven.

If I can find something concrete I'll post it, 

Addit: you were quite right about Mick Watson running the Warriors finances into the ground. Waynes going to be a big loss on some levels although Jim knows a thing or two about business hey

Edited by mt smart, 07 June 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#14 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

Another question for you Mt Smart, what is your assessment of Lolohea?

I've heard good things about him but can  he step up to first grade in the halves at such a young age?

Very green. 

It will be a massive step up to the NRL for him , he hasn't showed the organisation skills in the NSW cup this year that you want in an NRL a half , he has also been getting run over the top of a fair bit ( to be fair we're talking about an NYC player being hot housed and a halfback kid to boot ).

He is fast , has an amazing side step off both feet...for his age his basic skills look a step above the NYC comp ( I know when Tui got one game of Under twenties Footy this year....he was involved in and scored some of a tally of six try's.

I think it is too soon for him but I know he has been training with the top side for a month now , so they are escalating the speed of his development rapidly.

To use a comparison to Shaun Johnson at the same age.......Tui is slightly slower than Shaun , his side step isn't as exagerated.......but he ahead of Shaun at that age in every other area of the game.

Edited by mt smart, 07 June 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#15 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

Ouch.

Back down to earth.

Incredible game from Souths , two man bench......and they belted us .....amazing 

#16 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Second half against the Bunnies was pitiful,same old,same old. They switched off like you turn the light out,the Bunnies showing what Rugby League is all about,walking wounded,but never say die,they really put the Warriors to the sword.

#17 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Very green.
It will be a massive step up to the NRL for him , he hasn't showed the organisation skills in the NSW cup this year that you want in an NRL a half , he has also been getting run over the top of a fair bit ( to be fair we're talking about an NYC player being hot housed and a halfback kid to boot ).
He is fast , has an amazing side step off both feet...for his age his basic skills look a step above the NYC comp ( I know when Tui got one game of Under twenties Footy this year....he was involved in and scored some of a tally of six try's.
I think it is too soon for him but I know he has been training with the top side for a month now , so they are escalating the speed of his development rapidly.

To use a comparison to Shaun Johnson at the same age.......Tui is slightly slower than Shaun , his side step isn't as exagerated.......but he ahead of Shaun at that age in every other area of the game.

Cheers Mt Smart, will watch his progress with interest.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#18 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

Ben Matulino out for six rounds minimum, knee surgery...has to have a clean out,

Kevin Locke likely to be released early to Salford. Kev got in a spot of bother with the coach for missing training.

Matulino will be a big loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users