Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford's appeal - What will happen?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Poll: Bradford's Appeal (33 member(s) have cast votes)

What will be the result of Bradford's appeal against points deduction?

1. No change (stay at 6pt deduction) (15 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. Get 2 points back (4pt deduction) (14 votes [42.42%])

Percentage of vote: 42.42%

3. Get 4 points back (2pt deduction) (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

4. Get all 6 points back (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

Why? They didn't qualify by any stretch of the imagination. They finished (effectively) 15th in the overall scheme and since only the top 10 qualified they were nowhere near.

Promotion was the order of the day at the beginning of the season. the Cougars won the league. London and Paris were a) lower placed than the Cougars B) did not even exist, Featherstone and Widnes were kicked out from the top tier. All these things were travesties of justice and fair play. Keighley did indeed qualify for promotion until the rules were changed half way through the  season.

#102 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

Indeed, I am still ###### off with the RFU for the events of 1895 and thereafter. I am not in any way a representative of the Cougars, just a fan, so, as a fan, I can moan about it. I don't think the Cougars actually do though.

Well fair enough on the first part especially!

The distinction between club and fan is an important one actually. The more I think about it, the more Dave T is probably right that it doesn’t hurt that the club at least explores what the legal options they have – I’d be surprised if it was anything more than “you haven’t got a leg to stand on”, especially as the club couldn’t summon enough relevant evidence for this hearing to be heard properly. They also have to realise that yet another appeal would see us becoming the professional whingers of the sport

What’s more important for me though as a fan of the club is the answers to some of the questions Adey posed earlier in the thread. Not because it will make a blind bit of difference in terms of the season, but purely because I think the sport – and the fans of the club especially – needs clear answers on what happened this time around. With the last administration, whilst not exactly clear cut it made at least a bit of sense narratively, but this one just does not sit right with me at all. I’m not pointing any fingers – as I don’t know the facts – but I think there is a lot of blame to share around.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#103 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

What would be the benefit of entering administration if this were the case?

they wouldnt be any benefit thats what im trying to say

#104 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

they wouldnt be any benefit thats what im trying to say

Are you?

Entering administration is simply a means of leaving debts behind but not doing so might mean that the business was insolvent, and would have to be wound up. Is this what the RFL should have advised them to do?

Disingenuous messages from many of the parties concerned simply leads to many fans being deceived about what the true circumstances might have been. Once again, those fans and many small businesses are the real victims of what has happened here.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#105 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Well fair enough on the first part especially!

The distinction between club and fan is an important one actually. The more I think about it, the more Dave T is probably right that it doesn’t hurt that the club at least explores what the legal options they have – I’d be surprised if it was anything more than “you haven’t got a leg to stand on”, especially as the club couldn’t summon enough relevant evidence for this hearing to be heard properly. They also have to realise that yet another appeal would see us becoming the professional whingers of the sport

What’s more important for me though as a fan of the club is the answers to some of the questions Adey posed earlier in the thread. Not because it will make a blind bit of difference in terms of the season, but purely because I think the sport – and the fans of the club especially – needs clear answers on what happened this time around. With the last administration, whilst not exactly clear cut it made at least a bit of sense narratively, but this one just does not sit right with me at all. I’m not pointing any fingers – as I don’t know the facts – but I think there is a lot of blame to share around.

That's Fair enough. Just as Keighley are not pursuing a wrong decision which practically destroyed the club in the courts, I feel that neither should Bradford. They should just admit that what's done is done and start concentrating on resurrection. We will have to agree to differ here.

#106 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

That's Fair enough. Just as Keighley are not pursuing a wrong decision which practically destroyed the club in the courts, I feel that neither should Bradford. They should just admit that what's done is done and start concentrating on resurrection. We will have to agree to differ here.

I don't think we are a million miles away to be fair. I don't think the answers to the list of questions Adey posted are likely to come from the club, the RFL or through the court system. I've said before there is a book in this and a big story waiting to be blown open. It probably needs someone with the time, effort, and resources - and that isn't looking likely to happen anytime soon. Maybe in the fullness of time, who knows.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 13 June 2014 - 12:11 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#107 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

Are you?

Entering administration is simply a means of leaving debts behind but not doing so might mean that the business was insolvent, and would have to be wound up. Is this what the RFL should have advised them to do?

Disingenuous messages from many of the parties concerned simply leads to many fans being deceived about what the true circumstances might have been. Once again, those fans and many small businesses are the real victims of what has happened here.

I think the rugby league should kick any slde out of any of their competitions if they go into administration although they never would as money is all that matters

#108 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

I think the rugby league should kick any slde out of any of their competitions if they go into administration although they never would as money is all that matters

It's an interesting viewpoint, but would there be any competitions left?

You're also correct in that money is all that matters, which is why we have RL in the first instance.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 13 June 2014 - 07:25 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#109 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

Just so you know, I hope Bradford have a stellar season in the championships, buck the odds, get promoted and recover some of their lost supporters. Keighley got deducted 9 points for going into administration and were relegated as a result. It was thoroughly deserved. I have no complaints about that.

Likewise Bradford got their punishment, whether as a result of bad advice or not. They should suck it up and plan for the future not feed the lawyers bottomless stomachs.

Thank you (I think).

Just so you know, I hope that someone with power and vision is able to finally realise the true potential of our sport and give it its place at the top table. In doing so that person will have to overcome the strangling effect of the voice of clubs, whilst honourable and valuable, that are holding back the sport so they can dance on the head of a pin.

If we play you in the league next year then it will be because we have bombed to your level, not because you've risen to ours.

Edited by Konkrete, 13 June 2014 - 09:44 PM.

Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#110 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

Thank you (I think).

Just so you know, I hope that someone with power and vision is able to finally realise the true potential of our sport and give it its place at the top table. In doing so that person will have to overcome the strangling effect of the voice of clubs, whilst honourable and valuable, that are holding back the sport so they can dance on the head of a pin.

If we play you in the league next year then it will be because we have bombed to your level, not because you've risen to ours.

You are welcome. it's far from a given that we won't be in CC1 next year but If we stay in the championship, look at it from my point of view. A healthy 5,000 crowd at Cougar Park for the Derby fixture against the Bulls would be a sight to see and a welcome income stream for the Cougars.

#111 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

You are welcome. it's far from a given that we won't be in CC1 next year but If we stay in the championship, look at it from my point of view. A healthy 5,000 crowd at Cougar Park for the Derby fixture against the Bulls would be a sight to see and a welcome income stream for the Cougars.

4998 mate. We won't be travelling a nigh on 200 mile round trip to Cougar Park.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#112 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

It's an interesting viewpoint, but would there be any competitions left? If teams keep going into administration companys will stop trading with them and that will be the end

You're also correct in that money is all that matters, which is why we have RL in the first instance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users