Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How about a World Cup every 2 years?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OzWelsh

OzWelsh
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

I think that G Hetherington suggested it. 

We only need 8 teams, have Europe in as it's Super League Europe. 

If you have an Australia v Europe 3 Match Test Series, it obviously leaves out NZ, which is not a good thing.  Why can't we organise another WC here in Europe for Oct. & November 2015 over the next few weeks.  Yes, next year.  Surely it's not hard to book Toulouse, Memorial Ground (Bristol), Leigh, Headingley, KC Stadium, Wembley, Old Trafford, Langtree Park, Rochdale, Craven Park, DW Stadium and the Halliwell Jones Stadium for 1 or 2 matches each, and speak to local officials over the next few weeks is it?.  There are 12 stadia there, to cover 15 matches, Wembley will hold both semi-finals, no quarter-finals.  Toulouse to hold the opening ceremony and obviously the opening match between Europe and Australia on October 17.  The semi-finals on Nov. 7th at Wembley.  Old Trafford for the Final on November 14th. 

Group A - Europe, Australia, Samoa, Tonga

Group B - NZ, PNG, Fiji, Cook Islands 

Obviously the 2017 WC will be in Aus. & NZ.    

Edited by OzWelsh, 03 June 2014 - 06:45 PM.

Cronulla Sharks for the Premiership in 2015.

#2 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

I think that G Hetherington suggested it. 

We only need 8 teams, have Europe in as it's Super League Europe. 

If you have an Australia v Europe 3 Match Test Series, it obviously leaves out NZ, which is not a good thing.  Why can't we organise another WC here in Europe for Oct. & November 2015 over the next few weeks.  Yes, next year.  Surely it's not hard to book Toulouse, Memorial Ground (Bristol), Headingley, KC Stadium, Wembley, Old Trafford, Langtree Park, Rochdale, Racecourse Ground, DW Stadium, Workington and the Halliwell Jones Stadium for 1 or 2 matches each, and speak to local officials over the next few weeks is it?.  There are 12 stadia there, to cover 15 matches (I doubt all of the sadia would be used), Wembley will hold both semi-finals, no quarter-finals.  Toulouse to hold the opening ceremony and obviously the opening match between Europe and Australia on October 17.  The semi-finals on Nov. 7th at Wembley.  Old Trafford for the Final on November 14th. 

Group A - Europe, Australia, Samoa, Tonga

Group B - NZ, PNG, Fiji, Cook Islands 

Obviously the 2017 WC will be in Aus. & NZ.    

You are going to keep Cook Islands (population 10,900) yet merge away France (population 65,700,000)? Sums up your posts on this board really.

#3 OzWelsh

OzWelsh
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

Merge?  Not exactly the right word for it, England and France are joined.  You try getting to another country from the Cook Islands without leaving a train that's moving itself, not stuck on a ship.

England is in Europe, face it and get over it.

Edited by OzWelsh, 03 June 2014 - 05:38 PM.

#4 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

Merge?  Not exactly the right word for it, England and France are joined.  You try getting to another country from the Cook Islands without leaving a train that's moving itself, not stuck on a ship.

England is in Europe, face it and get over it.

What does that even mean?

#5 OzWelsh

OzWelsh
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

That the Cook Islands, NZ, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga are far from anywhere else, whereas we are not.  France is joined by a railway line to England, Scotland and Wales are joined onto England.  I know many of you wish you were in the Atlantic close to the USA, but you're not, as I said get over it, you're in Europe.

#6 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

An England international test once every two years would an achievement at the moment.

#7 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

That the Cook Islands, NZ, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga are far from anywhere else, whereas we are not.  France is joined by a railway line to England, Scotland and Wales are joined onto England.  I know many of you wish you were in the Atlantic close to the USA, but you're not, as I said get over it, you're in Europe.

I was merely asking because the words in that order made ###### all sense. I wasn't even gonna contend with how stupid the main suggestion is.

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

How many times would the Aussies pull out of a biennial RWC because they felt an ickle bit tired?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

I don't know where you came from OzWelsh - onto this board and into our lives - but please, go back.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#10 OzWelsh

OzWelsh
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

Some of the Best Aussie players would pull out now and again.  But they would still be favourites.  How about this Aussie team :-

Full-back - D Boyd

Wings - J Mansour, J McManus

Centres - J Hodges, M Jennings

Half-backs - D C-Evans, A Sezer

No.9 - R Farah

Front-row forwards - A Woods, J Taa-maw

Second-row - G Bird, L Lewis

Loose forward - P Gallen ©

Interchange - M Ennis, J Lillyman, A Fifita, C Parker

Fancy Europe to beat that team?  I wouldn't, not if coached by T Sheens or C Bellamy.

I bet not all the best Americans and Canadians always play in the Hockey (Ice) WC.  And I know for a fact that not all the best American's play in the Basketball WC.  

IMO it should be like this,

2014 - 4 Nations (Europe, Aus., NZ, Samoa)

2015 - WC

2016 - No internationals in October & Nov.

2017 - WC

2018 - 4 Nations

2019 - WC

2020 - No Test matches at end of season.

2021 - WC

#11 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

Although all the team you name are fine players, I would have no worries about England beating them.

So USA and Canada have separate teams in the Ice Hockey WC? But they are contiguous; surely they should be merged (together with Mexico) as North America.

#12 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

How about a 4 year cycle of:
England tour to Australia
4nations
Australia tour to uk
World Cup
So basically have the World Cup and 4nations 2 years apart with tours between the two tournaments.

#13 OzWelsh

OzWelsh
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

How about a 4 year cycle of:
England tour to Australia
4nations
Australia tour to uk
World Cup
So basically have the World Cup and 4nations 2 years apart with tours between the two tournaments.

No, because as I said, it'll leave NZ out too much.  NZ under your system would obviously only play every other year in a meaningful match, that's ridiculous. 

#14 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

No

#15 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

don't feed the troll

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#16 7723

• Coach
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

No, because as I said, it'll leave NZ out too much.  NZ under your system would obviously only play every other year in a meaningful match, that's ridiculous

The only ridiculous suggestion in this thread is having a continent play in the world cup!

#17 brooza

brooza
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

No, because as I said, it'll leave NZ out too much.  NZ under your system would obviously only play every other year in a meaningful match, that's ridiculous. 

Under your system, how often do France play a meaningful match?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#18 OzWelsh

OzWelsh
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

Under your system, how often do France play a meaningful match?

There wouldn't be a France, England, Russia, Serbia, Norway, Spain, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Finland etc. team anymore, ever.  They're not really nations in any case, but you could have club sides with the word England or France, like the New Zealand Warriors.  You have the PNG Hunters in the Q Cup, a Fiji something is gonna play in the NSW Cup soon.  Why not an England Dynamos and France Cavaliers in the NRL?

And Oldham boy, I'm not a frikin troll.

Edited by OzWelsh, 04 June 2014 - 12:07 PM.

#19 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Of course you are! To suggest 3 x Permanent Members of the UN Security Council and another member of the G20 aren't really nations is a very poor attempt at trolling.

Keep up the bad attempts! :D

Edited by GeordieSaint, 04 June 2014 - 12:20 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#20 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

There wouldn't be a France, England, Russia, Serbia, Norway, Spain, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Finland etc. team anymore, ever.  They're not really nations in any case, but you could have club sides with the word England or France, like the New Zealand Warriors.  You have the PNG Hunters in the Q Cup, a Fiji something is gonna play in the NSW Cup soon.  Why not an England Dynamos and France Cavaliers in the NRL?

England Dynamos and France Cavaliers.  Were you by any chance part of the Halifax RLFC marketing team in 1996 - the guys that brought us the Halifax Blue Sox?