Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fiji to enter 2015 NSW Cup

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

http://www.fijisun.c...ts-eye-nsw-cup/

Be fantastic news if it goes through. A real boost for the international game

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

http://www.fijisun.c...ts-eye-nsw-cup/

Be fantastic news if it goes through. A real boost for the international game

Interesting!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

When I first saw that they'd be playing out of ANZ stadium, I'd forgot that was also the name of their national ground. Would be fantastic for the international game, a real opportunity to establish the code in Fiji and develop them as a more competitive nation.

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:42 AM

Looks like the stunning success of the sp hunters in the Queensland cup is making the powers that be sit up and take notice to the benefits of international expansion. This needs to happen as soon as possible, just think of the boost it would give to Fijian rugby league.

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

Another breeding ground for future Australian internationals...
Posted Image

#6 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

Will Samoa and Tonga be next?

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

unlikey...cos the domestic setups in tonga & samoa lag way,way behind fiji and of course PNG who have a team in the QLD cup....

but it should be a obvious goal for tonga & samoa...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#8 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

Here is a question - how come if the pacific island teams can make a stab of it competing in the second tier of Australian Rugby league, then the French teams (I am thinking Toulouse) can't do it in the second tier of British Rugby League? Am I missing out on some huge funding to the pacific island teams?

#9 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

The main problem with Toulouse was the Championship salary cap was lower than the French Elite 1 salary cap so they weren't the 2nd best team in France. The salary cap in the new format will be much higher plus the French Elite 1 has gone backwards and had to do a split season thing with Elite 2

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

its a different culture...

take the PNG hunters,a brand new "club",they have funding from the government & PNGRL and have national sponsorship deal...its a "national issue" thing

where as toulouse are a old stand alone,independent business..

the wales RL & South wales venture is similar,if not identical,to whats happening in png & fiji....and i see no reason why the scottish & irish RL can create and promote one of their domestic clubs into the championship and use it as a development pathway for players from the domestic league into a higher standard of league and beyond.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#11 Gambass

Gambass
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Here is a question - how come if the pacific island teams can make a stab of it competing in the second tier of Australian Rugby league, then the French teams (I am thinking Toulouse) can't do it in the second tier of British Rugby League? Am I missing out on some huge funding to the pacific island teams?

Because France is not PNG or Fiji...The Hunters are making headlines in PNG, Toulouse in Championship will make 5 lines in the local paper.

Just ask yourself: if a british handball or basketball team were invited in the french second tier, would it drives any extra support for the club or the sport in Britain ? I guess not..

#12 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

take the PNG hunters,a brand new "club",they have funding from the government & PNGRL and have national sponsorship deal...its a "national issue" thing

the wales RL & South wales venture is similar,if not identical,to whats happening in png & fiji....and i see no reason why the scottish & irish RL can create and promote one of their domestic clubs into the championship and use it as a development pathway for players from the domestic league into a higher standard of league and beyond.

Scotland only has 4 clubs though admittedly Aberdeen Warriors in particular have a strong set up. Ireland is just here today gone tomorrow teams playing a short season with not a junior in sight.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

How long before there is great pressure for the NRL to expand to let some of these teams in or, heaven forbid, there is a movement for p and r between the lower tiers and the NRL ?

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

How long before there is great pressure for the NRL to expand to let some of these teams in or, heaven forbid, there is a movement for p and r between the lower tiers and the NRL ?

P&R is not part of Australian RL culture. I dare say they'd try regional divisions or something else before P&R even occurred to them.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

P&R is not part of Australian RL culture. I dare say they'd try regional divisions or something else before P&R even occurred to them.

I think you are right. I think the NRL will have to expand though eventually in some form or another.

#16 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

BTW I wasn't trying to stir with that comment. Maybe I can see how PNG is very different to Toulouse, with RL being the national game and all. That said, if the players aren't fully pro, surely at least some of the same things affect them as it did the Toulouse players. IIRC, it wasn't the lack of media interest that lead to Toulouse not doing well, it was more the travelling and having to take time off work. Add in the salary cap with the Elite 1 having more dough, I suppose.

However, Fiji is a different story - they have further to travel. Although it is a country, it appears that the population is smaller than that of Toulouse (I think). Also, I don't think that RL is the national sport there, is it?

#17 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

RL's not the national sport but it is very popular. I guess part time Aussie wages would be full time wages in Fiji and even better than that in PNG?

#18 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Good thinking Bowes, I like it.

#19 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Another breeding ground for future Australian internationals...

Most Australian Test players are drawn from the SOO Squads I believe.

You can not qualify to play SOO that easily under the new regulations  so how are Adult Fijian players going to become Kangaroos in your opinion?

Unless they live in Australia for enough years and are chosen on residency, who would that be?

In recent times Uate and Tamou who both moved to Australia as Schoolkids.

The only Tier one Nation that poaches developed players is.......

Edited by boxhead, 04 June 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#20 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

...New Zealand?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users