• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Nice to have Boxhead back.

Now, on the thread about lions Tours, there was some debate about the Aussies' approach to the international game.

Set against the presumption that they do not care, we have this and the PNG Queensland Cup team (and more England players in the NRL).

If the game's greatest strength is the NRL - which is already international - with 4 Nations and World Cups being by far the only serious international competition we can muster, then how about a system with, say pro clubs in the 7 nations which have the deepest domestic roots, with a 4 year World Cup on top?

Dare I say it, it could be a work of accidental genius. What is likely to benefit the game long term more in Fiji and PNG - a Pacific nations competition every 4 years, or week in, week out high level competition every week? So, we could have 2 pro clubs in Wales, 2 in SL1/2 in France, NZ in the NRL and PNG/Fiji in Qland/NSW Cups (probably only slightly lower standard than the bottom of SL).

It's a shame that the RLIF don't claim this idea as part of a masterplan, because it looks superb from where I am sitting.

#22 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

I am a little bewildered by this idea that the Aussies aren't looking to improve the standing of RL internationally. Now, they seem to think that their brand of the game is the nuts, but at least they have the confidence. But I digress - my point is that where I am (and anywhere that there is not a dedicated TV station showing it), I can watch all the NRL tv games and the SOO gratis and for free on a pretty damned good live stream. Does the SL provide that service?

#23 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Most Australian Test players are drawn from the SOO Squads I believe.
You can not qualify to play SOO that easily under the new regulations so how are Adult Fijian players going to become Kangaroos in your opinion?

Unless they live in Australia for enough years and are chosen on residency, who would that be?
In recent times Uate and Tamou who both moved to Australia as Schoolkids.
The only Tier one Nation that poaches developed players is.......

It only takes three years to gain residency. I assume the ultimate goal of any Fijian RL player would be to play in the NRL. Won't take too long for them to be given the opportunity to declare.
Posted Image

#24 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

Another breeding ground for future Australian internationals...

How so?

#25 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

It only takes three years to gain residency. I assume the ultimate goal of any Fijian RL player would be to play in the NRL. Won't take too long for them to be given the opportunity to declare.

When has a Fijian rugby league player ever signed to move to an Australian nrl club and then played for Australia?

#26 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

When has a Fijian rugby league player ever signed to move to an Australian nrl club and then played for Australia?

Is this a serious question?

#27 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

...New Zealand?

Sorry two Nations.

I forgot that the Kiwis had 7 Aussie born players in one of their test teams recently.

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:18 AM

Is this a serious question?

What is the answer?

#29 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

What is the answer?

To my question or the one it was responding to?

#30 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

To avoid the unnecessary exchange but in full expectation I'm responding to an ironic request, two recent and famous examples are

Lote Tuqiri and Peter Civoniceva

Currently there are a number of players including Semi Radradra at Paramatta who are earning the reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if an attempt was made to turn his head in the future even though he turned out for Fiji in the RLWC.

Edited by The 4 of Us, 05 June 2014 - 06:38 AM.

#31 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

To avoid the unnecessary exchange but in full expectation I'm responding to an ironic request, two recent and famous examples are

Currently there are a number of players including Semi Radradra at Paramatta who are earning the reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if an attempt was made to turn his head in the future even though he turned out for Fiji in the RLWC.

That makes no sense.

Civ and Lote were not Fijian League players that were signed by NRL Clubs were they?

They both emigrated with their families as toddlers and were brought up in Australia,

​The are Australians with a Fijian heritage.

How is that poaching overseas players?

Edited by boxhead, 05 June 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#32 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

That will never happen.

If anything Semi will go to the approaches from Union.

#33 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

That makes no sense.
Civ and Lote were not Fijian League players that were signed by NRL Clubs were they?

They both emigrated with their families as toddlers and were brought up in Australia,
​The are Australians with a Fijian heritage.

How is that poaching overseas players?

Thankyou. A lot of people have the misconception that some of the players who have played for Australia have been 'stolen' from other countries. This is not the case.

#34 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

That will never happen.
If anything Semi will go to the approaches from Union.

He has just signed for 4 more years at parramatta. I don't understand why anyone would think Australia would try and poach radradra.

#35 donki

donki
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Maybe one day a super league club might be considered good enough to enter

#36 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Sorry two Nations.

I forgot that the Kiwis had 7 Aussie born players in one of their test teams recently.

Three Nations... Tonie Carroll may have been brought up in Oz (born in NZ?) and played Origin (before Internationals) but actually played Test RL for NZ first... then Australia... sounds like he was poached internationally to me! ;)

That is in jest of course, but frankly none of the top 3 RL nations have any of the smaller nations' interests at heart. The primary focus is to get more players into the league structures, not to improve the international scene. Accommodation could be sort to stop the flip flopping of nations if the big 3 really wanted to improve the standard of the international game. However, they aren't bothered and rather keep the status quo... sad really rather than thinking about the development and greater good of the game.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 05 June 2014 - 12:14 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#37 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

GS, I wonder if that is the case though? I have always thought that there is a wide spectrum of views from the v narrow my club first - through for the good of my comp - the good of the whole structure - the good of the whole domestic game - the good of the game worldwide.

You and I are firmly in the last camp, and many decision makers are much nearer the front of the queue. Our argument is that making the last your goal is actually likely to improve the lot of every other part of the game, and so even if people are being pragmatic, their interests and ours align at some point.

Our suspicion is that the Aussies don't care about the international game, but then there is clear evidence that they are a force for good developing the game in the Pacific. With the breakthrough this year with PNG's QLand Cup side, this Fijian team and the NZ Warriors (which, lest we forget, is the game's most successful develpment club), plus the NRL being shown throughout the region, they are either deliberately or inadvertently taking the game forward at a greater pace than it has hitherto. Likewise, the RFL's Wales and French initiatives. Plus of course the bulk of players in our wonderful World cup were from the NRL. These might in many cases not have worked out, but full marks for trying.

It is impossible to overstate the potential significance of the Fijian and PNG clubs being given time to succeed. It gives players greater exposure and a pathway to the top, keeps people in our game and gives the locals footy every week rather than once a year.

Ultimately, we will never beat Australia regularly, as we have missed the boat in the battle for the hearts and minds of the nation. But people in more nations can play the game to a good level, and enjoy it. And that's a goal worth treasuring.

#38 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

I might be eating my words one day. The author is a tool who hates international rugby league, but there are some worrying quotes in the article. How we will ever grow as an international sport with this attitude, ill never know.

While admitting he’s still learning, Radradra has set himself some lofty goals, including playing for Australia’s Kangaroos.

Because Fiji is a second-tier rugby league nation he can play for both his home country and still wear the green and gold.

“If Australia wanted me to play, I would play for Australia,” he said.

“I’d also like to play Origin one day if the rules changed just like Jarryd.

http://m.dailytelegr...r-1226944881900

#39 MidlandsJohn

MidlandsJohn
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

Thankyou. A lot of people have the misconception that some of the players who have played for Australia have been 'stolen' from other countries. This is not the case.

Am I right in thinking the largest Polynesian city in the world is actually Auckland?

So really, for Samoans and Fijians we should think more like Samoan or Fijian heritahe because they're far more likely to have been born and brought up in Aus / NZ?

The one concern I would have for Fiji RL is not so much full-side Union, but Rugby Sevens. Don't forget that it will be an Olympic sport from Rio onwards and it offers by far Fiji's best chance of a gold medal. If they got it, I imagine it would knock 15s Union off the back pages for a time, never mind League.

#40 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

Am I right in thinking the largest Polynesian city in the world is actually Auckland?

So really, for Samoans and Fijians we should think more like Samoan or Fijian heritahe because they're far more likely to have been born and brought up in Aus / NZ?

The one concern I would have for Fiji RL is not so much full-side Union, but Rugby Sevens. Don't forget that it will be an Olympic sport from Rio onwards and it offers by far Fiji's best chance of a gold medal. If they got it, I imagine it would knock 15s Union off the back pages for a time, never mind League.

Sevens is already the biggest sport in Fiji. Radradra was discovered by parra playing for the sevens team in Dubai I think.

And yeah, the Samoan team have all been raised and mostly born in either nz or aus. There are still no players who have ever grown up playing rugby league in Samoa or tonga who have been signed to play in the nrl, and currently only 2 fijian raised rugby league players. We havnt even started trying to develop rugby league in the pacific, it's just by luck that they seem to enjoy the sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users