Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ben Blackmore

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

Why does one think the Chairtman of any business is obliged to...........

Great post.

Edited by Lone Drinker, 05 June 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#42 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

in 2004 dewsbury used 51 players in competitive games. beat that!

#43 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

I was feeling optimistic and was looking forward to Sundays game after an excellent performance against Featherstone. I'll learn my lesson one day!!

#44 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

your wasted on the terraces BTJ you really are....you should be heading up the new RFL department of investigation - the 'IFRSCB' (Investigate Featherstone Rovers salary cap breach), considering you know so much about all the players contracts, payments and rumours.
You could go undercover as an office cleaner at PO Road and have a rustle through the filing cabinets and report your findings back to blake solly & co.
ps; we have a £400k salary cap due to turnover - I thought someone with your knowledge would have known that and we dont quite have 50 players (yet) old cocka lol

I know one Featherstone player who is on a guaranteed £20k and hes hardly got in the team.

So if an average player earns that, then a squad of 20 would take you up to £400k.

Im sure the Crookes's, Kain's, Ellis's & Sharps of this world will command more than that, so im left gobsmacked you are in any way under that cap, and you are still signing players!

You must have a great accountant with a huge supply of brown envelopes at PO Road.

Ill save my 'i told you so's' up and let you have them all when the bubble bursts 'old cocka'.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#45 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Regarding salary cap at fev because we had a turnover of£1.5 million for past two years a month into this new season the RFL increased our cap to 400 k

If as you say the cap is £400,000 then that divided by 41 comes to less than 10,000 per player that is not taking into account the coaches . I may be wrong but i would imagine some of the stars at Fev are on more than that as i have said clubs need to be checked to make sure we have a fair competition

#46 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Re Faal - that was from the horses mouth.

Don't know why people are getting all het up re the DR system.  At the beginning of the season JK said he would be using the players who were signed for Batley and WHEN NECESSARY would bring in a DR from Huddersfield.  Obviously the squad was depleted immediately by the bans for JC and Faal, but that was overcome by bringing in Blackmore as a replacement for JC. Initially others were tried in the centre and then Griffin became available on, I understand, him refusing to sign to Batley fully but happy to play on a week by week basis thus putting himself in the shop window. The rumours indicate that he may have been successful in this otherwise, presumably, he will remain at Batley till the end of the season.  Alex Brown has also been brought in to cover the absence of JC from the squad and now, due to Blackmore being told by Giants he will not be offered a contract for next season and being offered a VERY GOOD deal by Fev, makes up the two wingers in the squad.

JK must have felt that Brannan wasn't performing up to the required standard, possibly due to fitness which in turn maybe because of lack of playing time, so has loaned him to York to get matchtime at the same time bringing in Keegan to cover with Fev's permission.  If another team offer Fev a bigger deal to take Keegan what should Batley do?  Get involved in an auction which would end up giving Fev even more money to buy more players?  And if they got into an auction, who do people think would end up with the prize?  As mentioned above - gates of 600 make life very difficult.

You must be one of the few people Fredm who likes the madness that is DR . It has made our competition a complete mess with players here there and everywhere. As for Keegan i hear Halifax have taken him. We Take players on DR and loan and when they play well other teams then step in and take them .So if rumours are correct 3 players who would have been in our starting line up have gone elsewhere. Lets get back to the days when players played for the club they signed on for and we are not begging and borrowing to raise a team. As i said many times DR a crock of ###### IMO.

#47 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

I have never said I like DR, what I am saying is that people are putting our troubles/league position (lower than they want) down to DR, when I do not believe that this is solely the case. With the exception of Blackmore, who may not have played a game if JC had not been suspended, I make the following as having appeared as DR:
Leigh - Connor and Mason
Doncaster - Johnson and Aspinall
North Wales - Mason
Keighley - Fairbank
Fev - Mullaly

So that makes a total of 7 appearances. How this can be made into the cause of our problems I have to say I cannot fathom.

#48 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

I have never said I like DR, what I am saying is that people are putting our troubles/league position (lower than they want) down to DR, when I do not believe that this is solely the case. With the exception of Blackmore, who may not have played a game if JC had not been suspended, I make the following as having appeared as DR:
Leigh - Connor and Mason
Doncaster - Johnson and Aspinall
North Wales - Mason
Keighley - Fairbank
Fev - Mullaly

So that makes a total of 7 appearances. How this can be made into the cause of our problems I have to say I cannot fathom.

No one has said it is the fault of DR becouse we are struggling what i and other supporters have said is is not doing the credibility of the championship any good. We are struggling becouse of some bad descitions with the make up of our squad. The highlight being the Faal and JC inclusion in the playing squad when it was clear a suspension was in the offing. We included 6 Hudds. players and most of those have been loaned to other clubs. As a result our backline options were wafer thin before a ball was kicked Black being out compounded this and we have struggled to score points. But back to the point Fredm DR in my opinion is not good for the championship it never will be and it was introduced to help super league clubs. . I dont understand you Fred when u bracket supporters as "what they want" surely it should be what the club wants as relegation in this very important season will be dire for our club  Batley RLFC.

Edited by greavesy, 05 June 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#49 Kevin Nicholas

Kevin Nicholas
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:00 PM

This week we have a vital game against Rochdale. Alex Brown & Keegan Hirst who were not able to play last week are available this week along with those players who played last week. Obviously we are disappointed to lose Ben Blackmore but it is not appropriate for us to comment on DR system now and I will not.As far as any player movement is concerned I am aware of some rumours about players moving in and out of the Club but at the moment there is nothing to announce as talks are ongoing to bring in players but nothing is resolved.We are doing our utmost to ensure we continue to improve on the field.People everywhere are panicking which makes negotiating difficult but we will keep a level head as we have done in the best interests of our Club. Not announcing then cos nothing to announce whether some people like it or not.When there is something to say will do so. There may be developments next week and we are hoping it is good news but for now it is Rochdale.

#50 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

I know one Featherstone player who is on a guaranteed £20k and hes hardly got in the team.

So if an average player earns that, then a squad of 20 would take you up to £400k.

Im sure the Crookes's, Kain's, Ellis's & Sharps of this world will command more than that, so im left gobsmacked you are in any way under that cap, and you are still signing players!

You must have a great accountant with a huge supply of brown envelopes at PO Road.

Ill save my 'i told you so's' up and let you have them all when the bubble bursts 'old cocka'.

Becareful what you wish for..because without Fev to bolster championship attendances up the division would look very bleak indeed; That's not arrogance its a fact;

#51 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

No that's arrogant. our home crowd against fev won't be our biggest this year. We'd miss the Rams much more :P

Edited by M Hopkins, 06 June 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#52 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

Becareful what you wish for..because without Fev to bolster championship attendances up the division would look very bleak indeed; That's not arrogance its a fact;

you bring a lot less than cas used to. they're true supporters.

#53 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

No one has said it is the fault of DR becouse we are struggling what i and other supporters have said is is not doing the credibility of the championship any good. We are struggling becouse of some bad descitions with the make up of our squad. The highlight being the Faal and JC inclusion in the playing squad when it was clear a suspension was in the offing. We included 6 Hudds. players and most of those have been loaned to other clubs. As a result our backline options were wafer thin before a ball was kicked Black being out compounded this and we have struggled to score points. But back to the point Fredm DR in my opinion is not good for the championship it never will be and it was introduced to help super league clubs. . I dont understand you Fred when u bracket supporters as "what they want" surely it should be what the club wants as relegation in this very important season will be dire for our club  Batley RLFC.

The problem, IMO, is that there are two systems running at the same time, DR and Loans. I agree that the DR system was probably brought about by SL clubs who thought they had found a way of establishing a feeder club system, albeit by another name, and stealthier. Some championship clubs took it on board as they obtained the services of SL club players without the financial implications. However I think that this season there are fewer instances of DR players appearing in the Championship, as shown by ourselves. Unfortunately SL coaches want their fringe players to be playing as often as possible at the highest level. This then brings about the situation such as Aspinall who was DR with us, and looked quite useful on his appearance, but who JK was not prepared to give a regular spot to. Sheffield came along and said they would play him most/every week and so he goes there on loan.
I personally think that next season the Championship clubs will probably do away with DR and just have the loan system, which means that a player is at a club for initially one month at least and not just making the odd appearance now and then as under DR. We will have to wait and see.
In relation to Fev sweeping up players this is just a drop down from what has been happening in SL (and if you look at football the same there). The clubs with the biggest amount of money rule the roost and the remainder follow in order, generally, with the odd exception, in descending order of levels of income. So the problem is that Batley need to raise their level of income. This can be done either by increasing attendances; increasing revenue from other sources which would almost certainly involve employing someone to activate this, or increase the number of directors/ persons involved with the club so that there are more people prepared to put their hands in their pocket.

#54 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

No its definitely arrogance Phillip.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#55 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

As someone has said i think that is player NO. 41 for Featherstone they have a team and 24 players on the bench and still signing anything goes in the Quest for the title as their chairman stated we will win every remaining fixture this season he didnt tell us that he was buying all the players to do it !!!.

He said they would go undefeated.He soon got that stuck up his pipe.Look on their faces priceless. 

#56 Mick Thornton

Mick Thornton
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

I would have thought donations were exempt from turnover too, as businesses cant rely on them as regular income.

There is going to be one hell of a mess to clean up in Featherstone when this all goes belly up.

This statement smacks of wishful thinking together with your green with envy countenance.
Very silly
M.J.Thornton

#57 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

He said they would go undefeated.He soon got that stuck up his pipe.Look on their faces priceless.

Enjoy it....see if you can prove it wasn't a fluke this weekend on a full sized pitch.
Even with the injuries we have I am sure it will be a different result !!

#58 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

It's a strange phenomenon of these forums that, no matter what club forum it is nor what the original post is, any mention of Fev brings them clustering like bees round a honeypot, and it makes me wonder why. Could it simply be undying loyalty for the club that they love or an unremitting stream of propoganda that is needed to support their club's single objective?

:angel:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#59 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

The problem, IMO, is that there are two systems running at the same time, DR and Loans. I agree that the DR system was probably brought about by SL clubs who thought they had found a way of establishing a feeder club system, albeit by another name, and stealthier. Some championship clubs took it on board as they obtained the services of SL club players without the financial implications. However I think that this season there are fewer instances of DR players appearing in the Championship, as shown by ourselves. Unfortunately SL coaches want their fringe players to be playing as often as possible at the highest level. This then brings about the situation such as Aspinall who was DR with us, and looked quite useful on his appearance, but who JK was not prepared to give a regular spot to. Sheffield came along and said they would play him most/every week and so he goes there on loan.
I personally think that next season the Championship clubs will probably do away with DR and just have the loan system, which means that a player is at a club for initially one month at least and not just making the odd appearance now and then as under DR. We will have to wait and see.
In relation to Fev sweeping up players this is just a drop down from what has been happening in SL (and if you look at football the same there). The clubs with the biggest amount of money rule the roost and the remainder follow in order, generally, with the odd exception, in descending order of levels of income. So the problem is that Batley need to raise their level of income. This can be done either by increasing attendances; increasing revenue from other sources which would almost certainly involve employing someone to activate this, or increase the number of directors/ persons involved with the club so that there are more people prepared to put their hands in their pocket.

Great post Fredm i agree with all you have said i do hope DR is abandoned at the end of the season and the loan system to come back,  the game had a lot more credability with that. Like you and many others i too wish we could increase our supporter base. To the fans who are staying away come back Batley RLFC needs you. A win on Sunday would be great and give everyone a lift . 

#60 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Great post Fredm i agree with all you have said i do hope DR is abandoned at the end of the season and the loan system to come back,  the game had a lot more credability with that. Like you and many others i too wish we could increase our supporter base. To the fans who are staying away come back Batley RLFC needs you. A win on Sunday would be great and give everyone a lift . 

My personal view, is only play folk who want to be Batley. We  managed to have the majority have this mindset and  were much more prepared to put up with constant relegation fears. Huddersfield are not very wealthy and need money wherever they can get it.

There is one thing posters on here seem to forget and that is the medical aid Batley players receive for their problems. All will turn out right in the end. Remember last season when we wanted the club to get rid of the players who were not trying and play local amateurs. John worked through that and we qualified for the playoffs. Come the next few weeks players will signed who want to play for Batley 

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users