Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Quick question.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

So, if strong rumours are to be believed, it looks like we're set to lose not only one - but two of our better players this week. Cracking news in terms of continuing our recent 'revival'.
In other news, struggling Barrow sign an Italy international prop from Brisbane Broncos and Rochdale are set to announce a player with NRL experience.
My question is; why aren't we able to do similar? How, exactly, do either of those clubs (seemingly) have more money to spend on players than we do? Barrow, in particular, were bankrupt about two years ago.
I'm not demanding overseas signings, just wondering how they are able to bring in those kind of players whilst we are obviously not.

Edited by TheTerminator, 04 June 2014 - 10:18 PM.

Posted Image

#2 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

So, if strong rumours are to be believed, it looks like we're set to lose not only one - but two of our better players this week. Cracking news in terms of continuing our recent 'revival'.
In other news, struggling Barrow sign an Italy international prop from Brisbane Broncos and Rochdale are set to announce a player with NRL experience.
My question is; why aren't we able to do similar? How, exactly, do either of those clubs (seemingly) have more money to spend on players than we do? Barrow, in particular, were bankrupt about two years ago.
I'm not saying that I'm demanding overseas signings, just wondering how they are able to bring in those kind of players whilst we are obviously not.

Who is the other?
"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#3 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

My earlier optimism this week is fast being eroded. The second half of a very important season is about to commence and as our players depart clubs below and around us are all signing our only hope is Hudds :( . Now i feel worse. Are any of our original DR still available ?

#4 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Crabtree & Brough  :-))

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013 Relegated  2014"

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#5 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

Who is the other?

Black to Featherstone for Hirst plus cash i think, or Griffin to Salford, or davies to Featherstone.

Uncomfortable rumours flying round at present. Back to being worried for our survival again.

Edited by buford t justice, 05 June 2014 - 05:23 AM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#6 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

Black to Featherstone for Hirst plus cash i think, or Griffin to Salford, or davies to Featherstone.

Uncomfortable rumours flying round at present. Back to being worried for our survival again.

Losing Black or Davies now would be a catastrophe. Griffin probably just as bad.

#7 windogs

windogs
  • Players
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

In signing overseas players not only do you have to be able to afford what probably is a substantial contract but also most of the time you also have to put them up with somewhere to stay. If you think about it it all begins to add up. But some clubs are obviously willing to take the risk.

#8 phildog

phildog
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hope some of these comments are tongue in cheek! Agree with both Windogs about the expense of overseas signings who probably wouldn't get work to support themselves, but also share concern from other posters who wonder how other 'lesser' clubs can bring in these players. After our final appearance, and the proximity of the RL World Cup, that was a prime time when we thought we just might bring in a couple of players from say South Sea Island nations, but it didn't materialise. We were assured that we would be ok by running with a smallish squad and reliance on Giants DR's. That the smaller squad had taken a long time to get anywhere near a team, even allowing for a number of in and out loans, had been disappointing, but the Giants have been almost invisible with their assistance, preferring instead to call players back, sometimes for their benefit, but mostly to ship them out to somebody else. Transfers for money have to be accepted a part and parcel i.e. Blackmore, but to see others who were supposed to be ours are being taken back and DR'd/loaned elsewhere. Maybe KN can make another appearance and explain just what he and his board members are doing in pushing Giants to keep their side of the bargain.

#9 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

apparently rochdale will have a few dual reg from st helens this week as they have no game due to challenge cup. wonder if danny brough fancies a run out for us and bring jermaine with him as well seeing as they have no game either.

#10 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Crabtree & Brough  :-))

definitely won't be brough! been announced he'll be playing for keighley in QF v widnes.

10406849_645699425500311_197352135165253

Edited by Jason Basin, 05 June 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#11 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

i really hope we dont lose davis as he sets the pace with his workrate,with all the dr and loan players in and out it must be so hard for the team to bond/jell at all.dr should be binned and just stick to loan players were at least you know they will be part of the team for a few games, or make it dr for 6 or 12 games to be on the safe side, i really fear for these next few games it griffin and davis have gone thats for sure,think brownies only got a couple a games left too so who going to come in now if anyone, other teams seem to bolster up and strengthen for next season while we act as some kind a stepping stone for anyone simply wanting to be in the shop window, :(

will we ever get another team together who WANT TO PLAY FOR THE DOGS.

#12 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

So my projected team for rochdale, taking into account the supposed departures, would be this.

1.greenwood
2.finnigan
3.patterson
4.bretherton
5.brown
6.black
7.leatherbarrow
8.smith
9.blake
10.gleadhill
11.davies
12.chandler
13.applegarth
14.nicholson
15.rowe
16.leary
17.mullally

Edited by il cattivo, 05 June 2014 - 12:58 PM.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,229 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

I'm fairly certain that Black said he was retiring from playing at the end of this season so the odds of anyone paying a fee for him must be extreme tio say the least.

Rumours are just that.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

I'm fairly certain that Black said he was retiring from playing at the end of this season so the odds of anyone paying a fee for him must be extreme tio say the least.

Rumours are just that.

Agree re: Black.

The rumours however tend to be pretty accurate. I think every player that has left has been on here before at some point, maybe only Ash wasn't.

#15 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

when the two relegated clubs come down at the end of the season with their £900.000 parachute payments lets see how fev Leigh and Halifax react when there stars start to jump ship.There is also the possibility that super league will once again get fed up with being involved with the lower leagues and decide to pull up the drawbridge and cast the lower ranks adrift. A simple one up and one down promotion and relegation would of sufficed and hopefully wouldn,t have created this  mad dash for glory and to hell with the cost. what's the betting on more than one championship club going bust in the next two years and not necessarily the one splashing the big cash. I don't know why rugby clubs keep taking a financial gamble history has shown not many clubs actually make a profit at all and the only way a benefactor can make a small fortune is to start with a very large one. 

#16 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

RE: Griffin, are the rumours to be believed? I cannot help thinking someone has got the wrong end of the stick. Salford have announced the signing of Josh's brother Daryll from Leeds, it seems a little too co-incidental to me that they would sign both brothers in the same week, especially as they have a dearth of centres anyway.

#17 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

RE: Griffin, are the rumours to be believed? I cannot help thinking someone has got the wrong end of the stick. Salford have announced the signing of Josh's brother Daryll from Leeds, it seems a little too co-incidental to me that they would sign both brothers in the same week, especially as they have a dearth of centres anyway.

Salford signed Darrell Griffin last season. He's been a regular there in 2014. Josh has, I believe, gone there on trial.

Posted Image

#18 phildog

phildog
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

The guy's signature is barely dry on his contract with us, how can he just shoot off somewhere else? Contracts obviously aren't worth the fresh air they're printed on then!! And therefore if he's under contract to us then we get a fee, or am I just being naive?

#19 windogs

windogs
  • Players
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

The guy's signature is barely dry on his contract with us, how can he just shoot off somewhere else? Contracts obviously aren't worth the fresh air they're printed on then!! And therefore if he's under contract to us then we get a fee, or am I just being naive?

Sometimes to get a decent player they want clauses in their contract ie super league or anywhere else if an offer comes. Just as the case with Ben Fisher wen he shot off to Catalans.

#20 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

As far as I'm aware, he's not under contract and is with us on a week to week basis in order that he can take up a better option if one comes knocking.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users