• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well done the Cougars

. Thay have made a laughing stock of our game playing against Widnes and fielding players who were making their debut this season.

The RL, the fans and other outside bodies moan about the lack of presentation and promotion of our game and then we are witness to a show of rugby which did nothing to help our cause due to an illegal decision by the Cougars. 

I think that it is utterly disgusting that clubs should be allowed to field weakened teams in the knowledge that they can get away with it.

If the Cougars felt so confident about the non result, why not give Widnes the game and stay at home?.. .

Edited by saddleworth, 05 June 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#2 Andy Stennett

Andy Stennett
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

I'm not in the Paul March fan club but they have to play 4 games in 14 days as part timers, with a Challenge Cup Qtr Final only 4 days after a local derby with Halifax.

Keighley have far more to gain by being higher in the league this year, rather than risking players in a cup competition they cannot win.

The blame lies with th RFL not growing a pair and sacrificing Keighley on the TV altar.

One of the other ties could have been played with two teams of readily prepared full time players.

Edited by Andy Stennett, 05 June 2014 - 09:26 PM.

Spanish Apartment for Holiday Rental in Spain Visit www.ownersdirect.co.uk
Ref: S8185
Mobile 07738 528178

#3 knottla

knottla
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

What do you say to S /L clubs that don't field full teams especially in the early rounds,they only take interest when there might a chance of making the final.

#4 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

What do you say to S /L clubs that don't field full teams especially in the early rounds,they only take interest when there might a chance of making the final.

Same opinions, they should go under the cosh. They are also making a mockery of our sport.

#5 knottla

knottla
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

Can't say any fairer than that.

#6 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Didn't Rovers throw a few reserves in when they played Catalan away in the cup a few years ago? I'm sure Scott Glassell played for one?

#7 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

Leigh have shown us what they are made of. What a match that was. Shame they lost in the end because they deserved the win. Going to be an interesting away game for us.

Hows that for Championship rugby?

Edited by ROVERS FOREVER, 06 June 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#8 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

You're right Steve he did, although our first team and a bulldozer would have shipped 70 that day.

As for the original poster I think that 50 odd 6 was a par score. Had it not been for the fact that Keighley were 20 odd down before you could break wind, a closer score may have appertained.

Do you know that the debutants were inferior to the players that they were displacing?

As for a shambles, the Leigh side showed tonight what a championship side can do and if their star turn Brierley had have turned up tonight they may have won.

Before we start bemoaning other championship teams making the game shambolic, are we sure we have cleared the sheite out if our own back yard?

#9 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

Leigh have shown us what they are made of. What a match that was. Shame they lost in the end because they deserved the win. Going to be an interesting away game for us.

What's going to be an interesting away game for us?
If you mean Leigh, they are head and shoulders above us, the way it's going it could be as interesting as the St Helens away game in 011.
We, for the last few years have been a little better than Leigh at their ground and comfirtably better at our ground, save fir the trains cup last year. Both sqauds only needed a tweak, guess what? Leigh have given theirs a tweak, we got a coach in at the early part of the season who got the bulldozer out, and set us back years.

#10 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

Much the same as your recent exploits in the Challenge Cup, against SL opposition. Fev and now Leigh, have shown what good Championship teams are made of.

As for your visit to Leigh, we are looking forward to it, but not with a great degree of confidence - there's not much wrong with your team.

#11 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

Leigh played through the pain barrier last night; Just how Fev were doing for those four years; I'm sure with a bit of settling down with the team and finding our team spirit again we can just be as successful if not better than before; Andy Hay took over a right upheavel and its imperative its put right asap; Well Done Leigh;

#12 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

I had a daft £5 on leigh, cost me £100 did Zak. It's a shame the ref didn't pick out the crossing in the previous round like he did last night or it might of been us playing Leeds last night.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#13 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

. Both sqauds only needed a tweak, guess what? Leigh have given theirs a tweak, we got a coach in at the early part of the season who got the bulldozer out, and set us back years.

They gave their squad a bulldozer too. It's just that they made better choices than we did overall, both in terms of knowing who to phase in and, just as importantly, who to phase out (such as some of their slow old back division). Armstrong, Wilkes, Barlow, Sarsfield, Kay, Acton, Emmitt, and Haggerty all new recruits for them this season and all first-team regulars (plus Pitman who I think played once for them last year).

Edited by The Phantom Horseman, 07 June 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#14 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

Leigh played through the pain barrier last night; Just how Fev were doing for those four years; I'm sure with a bit of settling down with the team and finding our team spirit again we can just be as successful if not better than before; Andy Hay took over a right upheavel and its imperative its put right asap; Well Done Leigh;

Agreed Phil. Leigh put in a performance on a par with the fev team of two or three years ago. Tired legs prevailed in the last twenty.

#15 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

They gave their squad a bulldozer too. It's just that they made better choices than we did overall, both interms of knowing who to pahse in and, just as importantly, who to phase out (such as some of their slow old back division). Armstrong, Wilkes, Barlow, Sarsfield, Kay, Acton, Emmitt, and Haggerty all new recruits for them this season and all first-team regulars (plus Pitman who I think played once for them last year).

It's interesting what you say I didn't realise that they had so many. They must have phased some of those players out in previous seasons as I'm sure Emitt and Armstrong were former Leigh players. There were a lot of players on show last night that have played Fev in a Leigh shirt over the last few years. They have still gone with Pivots that they have had over the last couple of years whereas we aren't really sure who's best at S off Hooker, scrum half and Loose forward.

As for Barlow, he has told me personally that he wanted to sign for Rovers, and would have done if Sean Long would have been coach.

#16 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

It's interesting what you say I didn't realise that they had so many. They must have phased some of those players out in previous seasons as I'm sure Emitt and Armstrong were former Leigh players. There were a lot of players on show last night that have played Fev in a Leigh shirt over the last few years. They have still gone with Pivots that they have had over the last couple of years whereas we aren't really sure who's best at S off Hooker, scrum half and Loose forward.

As for Barlow, he has told me personally that he wanted to sign for Rovers, and would have done if Sean Long would have been coach.

sam barlow, him speak with forked tongue

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#17 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

sam barlow, him speak with forked tongue

You may be correct Keem o sabbi

#18 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Yes that's true re Emmitt & Armstrong and also Oliver Wilkes played for them many years ago too. I think everything has just come together for them at the right time, they have added a lot of speed to their back division, a fair bit of grunt to their pack, and Brierley has clearly come on a ton this year (although he was relatively quiet against Leeds), they just seem to have found the right balance.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman, 07 June 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#19 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

What's going to be an interesting away game for us?
If you mean Leigh, they are head and shoulders above us, the way it's going it could be as interesting as the St Helens away game in 011.
We, for the last few years have been a little better than Leigh at their ground and comfirtably better at our ground, save fir the trains cup last year. Both sqauds only needed a tweak, guess what? Leigh have given theirs a tweak, we got a coach in at the early part of the season who got the bulldozer out, and set us back years.

Yes.

#20 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Yes that's true re Emmitt & Armstrong and also Oliver Wilkes played for them many years ago too. I think everything has just come together for them at the right time, they have added a lot of speed to their back division, a fair bit of grunt to their pack, and Brierley has clearly come on a ton this year (although he was relatively quiet against Leeds), they just seem to have found the right balance.

Good post buddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users