Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Lurker - NRL Rumour File

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

The Lurker has saved his best for last this week.

Big promotion for Barrett? Coaches are starting to circle around the Wests Tigers following news that Mick Potter is struggling to hold his job at the club for 2015. I can reveal that senior player manager Wayne Beavis is putting forward his client Trent Barrett as a possible replacement for Potter. Barrett is currently coaching in the lower grades at Penrith and has an impressive resume, having been a champion player and coached on the NSW Blues team at Origin level. Beavis pushed him heavily for the top job at the Cowboys last year and he went close to getting the position before losing out to Paul Green. Potter is hanging onto his job by his fingernails. The Tigers' inability to win games after a great start to the season has seen players back assistant coach Todd Payten to take the top job in 2015. A damning report by former long-serving coach Brian Smith on the club's internal operations has only thrown fuel onto the fire.

The Matai mystery I keep hearing that the on-again-off-again Warriors bid to sign Manly's Steve Matai is now dead and buried. Mmmm, not so fast. The Warriors have twice attempted to lure the Kiwi Test centre back home, only to be knocked back by Manly, who have him under contract for 2015. But I can reveal that Matai's manager Gavin Orr has just returned to Sydney after spending the last few days in Auckland. He was allegedly there on "other business"… but I'll be very surprised if Matai's name wasn't discussed. Maybe the move isn't as dead as everyone is being led to believe…

Bellamy not happy Cooper Cronk won widespread acclaim throughout the game for his early return from a broken arm to help Queensland avoid an Origin whitewash last week - but he went against his coach's wishes to do so. Storm coach Craig Bellamy wasn't happy that his main man risked further injury to return for a dead rubber. But Bellamy, to his credit, didn't stand in Cronk's way of a $30,000 paycheque… and a chance to write his name into Origin folklore. Won't go away I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into writing about that bloody sex tape again but it just won't die a natural death. Stand-by for further developments on that front early next week. And, no, I still haven't seen any proof of it!  

Posted Image

#22 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,980 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Three Broncos players have been replaced in the squad for tomorrow night’s match with the warriors.

Jack Reed, Daniel Vidot and Corey Oates will miss the game at Suncorp Stadium after being demoted to the Queensland Cup for breaching team protocol.

They will play with their State League clubs this weekend – Reed with Norths, Vidot with Ipswich, and Oates with the Central Capras.

“The players in question were out during the week of a game which is not the way we expect them to prepare for a match,” said Broncos’ coach Anthony Griffin

“As a club we have certain standards that we expect our players to adhere to.

“They know they have done the wrong thing by the team.

“The responsibility now for them is to train and play hard and fight their way back into the team.”

Edited by G Las D, 18 July 2014 - 08:53 AM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#23 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,980 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Lots of rumours circling the Manly club where stories of player discontent and requests for transfers out have seeped out.

Just minutes before kick-off reports from Channel Nine emerged that three of Manly's stars - Brett Stewart, Steve Matai and current NSW second-rower Anthony Watmough - had sought releases in recent weeks as the fallout from the decision to not offer club favourite Glenn Stewart a contract continues to engulf the club.

The majority of Manly players brushed the media after the match, though Matai confirmed to Triple M that he had sought and been denied a release from the club in the wake of being offered a reported four-year, $2.5 million deal by the Warriors. 

Watmough refused to confirm or deny whether he had sought a release from the final year of his contract with the Sea Eagles, while the youngest of the Stewart brothers is contracted to the club until the end of 2016.

Rumours have hit fever pitch in recent weeks of the club being divided along senior and junior ranks over the departure of the eldest Stewart to Souths next year, with the push to retain Clive Churchill medal-winning halfback Daly Cherry-Evans – who will be one of the most sought-after players in the NRL when off-contract next season – and recent contract extensions for back-rowers Jamie Buhrer and Jesse Sene-Lefao believed to have split the playing group.

Edited by G Las D, 22 July 2014 - 03:25 PM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users