Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RL players - just ball under 1 arm...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

@StuBarnesRugby -  I imagine Sam Burgess will be back in RL within 12 months, too much to learn and to boot RU is moving away from crash ball merchants

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#22 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

Reverse psychology? Burgess is off to Barnes' old club, and this is bound to fire him up...

#23 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,843 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Barnes just wants in the media a bit more as since BT Sport has nicked about 80% of UK union TV coverage (all domestic plus half of European) he's struggling to justify his continued employment with Sky.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#24 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

To paraphrase Will Greenwood -

He (Eastmond) carries the ball in 2 hands, not like a typical RL player who just tries to beat the player with ball under one arm.

There seems to be a lot of short memories around.

The other lot used to watch in jaw dropped amazement as Jason Robinson ran around the field with the ball in both hands. It was common for the TV presenters to comment on it.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

@StuBarnesRugby -  I imagine Sam Burgess will be back in RL within 12 months, too much to learn and to boot RU is moving away from crash ball merchants

That 12" penises like Barnes are even commenting on a player like SB, illustrates how he has lowered himself in order to play RU. 

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#26 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

For once I hope Barnes is right

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#27 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

That the same Stuart Barnes who has Sam Burgess in his England World Cup XV in todays Sunday Times?

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#28 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

That the same Stuart Barnes who has Sam Burgess in his England World Cup XV in todays Sunday Times?

Hewett in the independent today places the blame for the England union lot's thrashing by NZ squarely on the shoulders of Ashton and Eastmond.

I expect Wiggy in the Sunday Times had a more balanced view ;-) Anyone?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

#29 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,039 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hewett in the independent today places the blame for the England union lot's thrashing by NZ squarely on the shoulders of Ashton and Eastmond.

I expect Wiggy in the Sunday Times had a more balanced view ;-) Anyone?

Is that in the article where he says

Not that (Eastmond) was alone in being wiped out by the All Blacks, who began the game in search of a record-equalling 17th successive Test victory and achieved their hearts’ desire with two-thirds of the contest still to unfold. Freddie Burns started the match with an error of the schoolboy variety – his kick-off failed to travel the requisite 10 metres – and then missed a relatively straightforward opportunity to put England ahead with a penalty from centre field. Mike Brown, Joe Launchbury, Dylan Hartley, Billy Vunipola, Marland Yarde; each of them had their knicker-twisting moments in a grim opening quarter, and even though Burns hit the spot with two subsequent shots at goal, the respite was all too brief.

And doesn't actually mention Ashton at all?

And to be fair, Eastmond was poor in the first half and England had more shape once he'd been substituted 

Or is it the article where he says

Kyle is disappointed,” he reported. “You don’t become a bad player overnight and he has all the skills, but he was off the pace. He’s smart, though. He won’t make that mistake again

Clearly laying all the blame on...oh hang on

Edited by Shadow, 23 June 2014 - 11:56 AM.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#30 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

There seems to be a lot of short memories around.

The other lot used to watch in jaw dropped amazement as Jason Robinson ran around the field with the ball in both hands. It was common for the TV presenters to comment on it.

Neither Eastmond or Robinson were "typical" RL players so the comparison would not be a fair one.

#31 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

Neither Eastmond or Robinson were "typical" RL players so the comparison would not be a fair one.

Yes they were - RL born and bred.

#32 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Is that in the article where he says

In a word, no. So that was half a page of snark wasted.

To be fair it was a shorter article than normal so we were spared the usual two pages of ###### polishing and he had to be brief with the blame laying.

But I think singling out "Kyle Eastmond, the overpromoted inside centre from bath, went missing almost immediately" (and with Ashton being spoken of in similar terms "no hope of salvation"), makes my point for me.

#33 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

In a word, no. So that was half a page of snark wasted.

To be fair it was a shorter article than normal so we were spared the usual two pages of ###### polishing and he had to be brief with the blame laying.

But I think singling out "Kyle Eastmond, the overpromoted inside centre from bath, went missing almost immediately" (and with Ashton being spoken of in similar terms "no hope of salvation"), makes my point for me.

How many straws did you just grab?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users