Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Unheard Of

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Daryl Powell left on mutual terms. He'd won the league with Fev 3-4 times on the bounce. He needed a bigger challenge, so Cas was a good choice as they needed a coach. In my own opinion we as a team need time to mold together. It's no good when every player has to look over their shoulder because they are in danger of been replaced. Same set every match and we'll do ok.

Edited by ROVERS FOREVER, 08 June 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#22 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:01 AM

There was 2 losers in that game us and wigan who ever made the decision to get rid of the coach 12 months ago made of the biggest mistakes i our recent history

RUBBISH. DPs was with us 5 years he did well for us and we did ell for him, his time was up and he moved at the right time for him and us. The mistake was appointing Bastian who was a disaster and was clueless so much so he nearly destroyed the team. Thankfully the board acted on it very quickly and rectified it by appointing Andy Hay, he has a difficult job of re-building the team mid- season and sorting out some of the mess left by Bastian but seems to be getting on with it very well, he has impressed me so far. Feel sorry for the next club that gets stuck with JB wouldnt trust him with an U8s team

#23 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

RUBBISH. DPs was with us 5 years he did well for us and we did ell for him, his time was up and he moved at the right time for him and us. The mistake was appointing Bastian who was a disaster and was clueless so much so he nearly destroyed the team. Thankfully the board acted on it very quickly and rectified it by appointing Andy Hay, he has a difficult job of re-building the team mid- season and sorting out some of the mess left by Bastian but seems to be getting on with it very well, he has impressed me so far. Feel sorry for the next club that gets stuck with JB wouldnt trust him with an U8s team

The thing that I get the sense of is that he went out of his way to upset people and he had favourites.

#24 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

The thing that I get the sense of is that he went out of his way to upset people and he had favourites.

Iv heard all that mate but im basing my opinion on what i saw on the pitch. The players looked clueless in attack , unfit, there body language was terrible, tactically inept, diss-organised, most of the players he brought in were not upto the standard. Andy Hays is slowly but surely sorting the mess out

Edited by Maureen T-k, 09 June 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#25 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Having said all that, John Bastian could still have been in charge, whether that would have been a good or a bad thing, with a little more luck against Leigh.
In the cup game Rovers were starting to take control towards the end of the first half. They were hampered by their tries being scored in the corner, and 12 points could have been 18 if scored closer in, but when Andy Ellis broke from inside his own half a try seemed on, but why do we always seem to get Matty Dale or Jack Bussey backing up instead of the speed men? Andy couldn't get the pass out to Mendy on his right so had to give it to Matty who was tackled on the 20. When we lost the ball on the next play they came downfield and they scored instead to level at 12 all. If that 12 pointer had gone the other way Rovers would have gone into the break 18-6 up, and I feel they would have won. In the 2nd half we lost Bostock, Dale and James to injury, which was the reason we lost our impetus.
The following week Rovers were still without Dale, Bostock and James. You can't take Leigh on with a weakened pack!
On top of all that, would we have lost to Doncaster and Dewsbury with Andy Kain in the side, especially with the form he is in at present? Although Andy played the two games against Leigh he was just returning from injury, and was nothing like the world beater he was on Sunday, so would he have made a difference if fully fit?

So, with a bit more luck, Rovers under Bastian might have been unbeaten, or something very near. Would he still have been in charge, and would this have been a good or a bad thing?

Having reviewed the match reports on our defeats, I feel more confident that Rovers can challenge Leigh at the end of the season, as long as we have already had our fair share of injuries, and the plague doesn't continue, especially with regards to Andy Kain!

#26 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Personally I think Leigh have done us a favour, long-term at least, with their improvement. Further to Steve's comments above, if Leigh had not improved as they have this season, we could have been at the top of the league by default, with Sheffield and Batley clearly underperforming compared to last season, and we'd have been chugging along thinking all in the garden was rosey (barring the rumours about player unhappiness with the last coach of course).

For me, it still remains to be seen if we can catch up with Leigh this season, but the recent upheavals in coach & player suggest that at least the acknowledgement is there that we need to improve, and next season's the one that really counts, yes the money this year is very important but this time next season nobody will be talking so much about what happened in 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users