Going nowhere fast

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

So after a great World Cup which showed the potential of international rugby league, there is no World cup legacy, England will not be playing in England for the next few years. Australia have decided there not gonna play next year. David Smith has been made vice chairman of the RLIF even though he heads up the NRL (no conflict of interest there then)

Your point on Australia not playing next year isn't strictly true, as they'll be playing the mid season Anzac Test and will probably play the Kiwis in a one off again post season, as they did in 2012. 

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make about David Smith's appointment being a conflict of interest. You could make the same claim about Nigel Wood.

Edited by thirteenthman, 08 June 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#22 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,767 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

I aren't actually slating Origin as I love it. It's just not the be all and end all. Your assesment is pretty accurate but nonetheless that game meant more to more people than Origin.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

I aren't actually slating Origin as I love it. It's just not the be all and end all. Your assesment is pretty accurate but nonetheless that game meant more to more people than Origin.

I know Origin shouldn't be the pinnacle but it's fairly obvious that, right now, it is.

If we really wanted international football to become greater than Origin then we should be looking to get something of the same intensity and excitement into our season.  But we're not, so internationals will drop further and further off the professional agenda.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Time for us to concentrate on European Rugby League!!, let's have a yearly euro nations cup(yes England would win it) and develop our euro neighbours and eventully once they've milked the dollar dry then so would NRL.

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

In a stronger position would be my guess, 2 French clubs with academies run on similar lines as the nz warriors would have meant a bigger player pool for the French playing at a higher standard week in week out in super league as opposed to elite 1, with an international program for the French national side to boot.

Given they dumped the England.v.France tests then international RL is clearly sacrificed for English club RL.

#26 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

How many people actually care about international rugby though? RL's strength lies in the club game and IMO the club game is what we should focus on.

#27 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

How many people actually care about international rugby though? RL's strength lies in the club game and IMO the club game is what we should focus on.

Oh dear.

#28 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

Tell that to the record number of spectators at the World Cup including record attendances at several grounds in four countries.

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

112,000 people attended the last two double headers at Wembley (2011 had 47,000,2013 had 65,000).

Remarkably, more than 2 million people watched England beat Fiji on the TV.

Two clubs games a year will beat the former; no club games beats the latter.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#30 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

For hardened rugby league fans, you are quite right.  For the population as a whole, only internationals generate interest.  I assure you, though there are people in Harlow and Crawley who will watch England rugby league, you will not persuade them to watch Leeds vs St Helens.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#31 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

I cant see why SOO cannot exist with a genuine International Calendar. SOO is brilliant but as the great Wally Lewis said playing for your Country should be the pinnacle. The last RLWC was a "heritage" player farce and dissed all those  that wanted a real World Cup.

#32 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:00 PM

I cant see why SOO cannot exist with a genuine International Calendar. SOO is brilliant but as the great Wally Lewis said playing for your Country should be the pinnacle. The last RLWC was a "heritage" player farce and dissed all those  that wanted a real World Cup.

If the most successful wc ever was a farce then let's have a second act. That kind of farce brings a real smile to my face.

#33 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:42 AM

For hardened rugby league fans, you are quite right.  For the population as a whole, only internationals generate interest.  I assure you, though there are people in Harlow and Crawley who will watch England rugby league, you will not persuade them to watch Leeds vs St Helens.

And even less so Salford.v.Widnes, or Wakefield.v.HKR.

But we won't get a competitive France unless we add Toulouse.

No improvement in professional International RL without improving the player supply.

Keep up the good work Bob...

#34 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

Origin does co-exist with Internationals. The reason we don't have a more extensive International calendar is because of the influence of the club game, both in Aus/NZ and in this country. The clubs won't agree to play less matches, and that's the biggest influence on the number of Internationals we play. 

If you thought the RLWC was a 'farce' using heritage players, try running the same competition exclusively with homegrown players. You'd get only a handful of teams taking part, or a lot of games with cricket scores. The sport only has 2 full time club competitions to source players from, and most countries that play the sport have only an amateur set up.

#35 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

I suppose we've got no one to blame but ourselves. This obsession with Australia and that they're the only 'worthy' opponents in IRL is why we're in this position in the first place. Instead of this obsession with GB v Australia and GB tours, we should have been growing rivalries with Wales and France, as well as playing NZ, PNG, Fiji as well. It seems we're happy to see Eng/GB lose constantly to Australia, but England beating France is a bad thing. At least the French go out and support these games, but we ignore them because they're not in the North of England or Australia. Sadly, the idiots at the RFL would rather have no international games than have us play a tri-Series with France and Wales, or play PNG and Fiji in their countries. 

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

I suppose we've got no one to blame but ourselves. This obsession with Australia and that they're the only 'worthy' opponents in IRL is why we're in this position in the first place. Instead of this obsession with GB v Australia and GB tours, we should have been growing rivalries with Wales and France, as well as playing NZ, PNG, Fiji as well. It seems we're happy to see Eng/GB lose constantly to Australia, but England beating France is a bad thing. At least the French go out and support these games, but we ignore them because they're not in the North of England or Australia. Sadly, the idiots at the RFL would rather have no international games than have us play a tri-Series with France and Wales, or play PNG and Fiji in their countries. 

I don't understand, the last time there was no Australia or NZ fixtures we played a tri-series with France and Wales.

#37 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

I don't understand, the last time there was no Australia or NZ fixtures we played a tri-series with France and Wales.

Yes, but it was pretty low key and played in some small stadiums with small attendances. We need to build it up as something important, which means including NRL players and playing in big stadiums, which is why we should play it in France. Unfortunately though, they'll be in NZ in 2015, so that is unlikely to occur. 

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Yes, but it was pretty low key and played in some small stadiums with small attendances. We need to build it up as something important, which means including NRL players and playing in big stadiums, which is why we should play it in France. Unfortunately though, they'll be in NZ in 2015, so that is unlikely to occur. 

Well I agree with that, but that's a completely different point.

We saw at the World Cup that we can get decent crowds for games even where England were certainties to win.

#39 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

We saw at the World Cup that we can get decent crowds for games even where England were certainties to win.

That was because the games in the World Cup were built up and actually sold to the wider public as an event rather than simple piecemeal planning we normally get for home internationals, even against NZ and Australia; I think that is the point he is trying to make... Actually organise the games/tournaments properly well in advance in decent stadia at decent times and people WILL turn up in large numbers.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#40 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

There is only England , Aus and NZ that have any meaningful International profile. Its nonsense to reinvent any International competition format that only has only 3 "players". A reality check needs to be taken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users