Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Totally disillusioned with international rugby league

Going nowhere fast

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

There is only England , Aus and NZ that have any meaningful International profile. Its nonsense to reinvent any International competition format that only has only 3 "players". A reality check needs to be taken.

Well in the last World Cup in Australia PNG gave England a pretty good game.

#42 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

The perceived success of Italy and USA in the RLWC was a scam. If the two teams were to meet any time soon the only viable venue would be Sydney.If you don't know it already , that's where most of their teams are from. RLWC apologists claim that fixing sides with heritage players prevented missmatchs [blow outs] . In their minds that equated to making the game "global". Short sighted nonsense.

#43 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

The perceived success of Italy and USA in the RLWC was a scam. If the two teams were to meet any time soon the only viable venue would be Sydney.If you don't know it already , that's where most of their teams are from. RLWC apologists claim that fixing sides with heritage players prevented missmatchs [blow outs] . In their minds that equated to making the game "global".

Shurely "watchable" and they were too. Check the crowds.

#44 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

The perceived success of Italy and USA in the RLWC was a scam. If the two teams were to meet any time soon the only viable venue would be Sydney.If you don't know it already , that's where most of their teams are from. RLWC apologists claim that fixing sides with heritage players prevented missmatchs [blow outs] . In their minds that equated to making the game "global". Short sighted nonsense.

Apologist?  These is nothing ot apologise for.

It was great, if you do not believe me ask an eye-witness (of which there was an enormous number).  

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#45 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

Agreed , the crowd figures were very good. The whole thing made money. It kind of preached to the converted though. It was a success. Are you happy with the same thing happening again?

#46 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:15 AM

Agreed , the crowd figures were very good. The whole thing made money. It kind of preached to the converted though. It was a success. Are you happy with the same thing happening again?

Did it really? I thought it got loads of non-traditional fans through the turnstiles...?

#47 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

Lots of "ooo-aaarrr" voices at the USA v Cooks game in Bristol. Not so many (a few) northern accents.

Heard more southern accents at Wembley than northern.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 12 June 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#48 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

Depends what you mean by International Rugby. If you mean has much been built upon from the World Cup then the answer is no and much of the fault lies at the door of the SL and NRL as well as the RLIF. Having Smith and Wood Controlling the RLIF is wrong in my opinion and you wont see that much Happening except maybe the 4 nations series. Shame no England v France etc but ist hardly been that well supported in the past and is a bit one sided.

But away from that you can easily get to see International Rugby League. Spain, Belguim, Italy, German, Netherlands, Serbia, Russia, Malta, Czech rep, Denmark, Sweden, Ukraine etc will or have played already this year. Clubs games have happened across Europe and Serbia has a good youth System with leagues. The RLEF have been criticized and rightly so to some degree, in my opinion. But they also have done more than anybody in getting the game developed and putting Internationals on and supporting the People when they can.

#49 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

Not sure if this article's been posted somewhere else, but it suggests that there's a plan to get some sort of internationals in the UK this autumn:

http://www.theguardi...orld-cup-oldham

"With no home England games planned, the RFL have gone quiet on any mention of "World Cup legacy". They may be rescued by the Celts, for once. Although discussions are ongoing, international rugby league could return to several RLWC2013 venues this autumn. "

Could just mean the European Championship games though. 

#50 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

Not sure if this article's been posted somewhere else, but it suggests that there's a plan to get some sort of internationals in the UK this autumn:

http://www.theguardi...orld-cup-oldham

"With no home England games planned, the RFL have gone quiet on any mention of "World Cup legacy". They may be rescued by the Celts, for once. Although discussions are ongoing, international rugby league could return to several RLWC2013 venues this autumn. "

Could just mean the European Championship games though. 

From reading that article, I think it does just mean that some European Championship games will be staged at venues used in last years WC. Presumably, they're waiting on football fixtures to be announced before they can confirm venues.

Not sure playing a game at the same venue 12 months later is actually a 'World Cup legacy', but it will be nice if we can get at least some Internationals announced for this country some time soon...

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

From reading that article, I think it does just mean that some European Championship games will be staged at venues used in last years WC. Presumably, they're waiting on football fixtures to be announced before they can confirm venues.

Not sure playing a game at the same venue 12 months later is actually a 'World Cup legacy', but it will be nice if we can get at least some Internationals announced for this country some time soon...

If they are talking World Cup venues, then I hope they are talking about French, Irish and Welsh grounds, with maybe England Knights playing in England (if they still exist).

Staging a game between, say Scotland and Italy at Workington would be rubbish and as fake as the Pacific Islanders playing in Sydney all the time.

England Knights v Scotland in Cumbria  could work.

#52 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

If they are talking World Cup venues, then I hope they are talking about French, Irish and Welsh grounds, with maybe England Knights playing in England (if they still exist).

Staging a game between, say Scotland and Italy at Workington would be rubbish and as fake as the Pacific Islanders playing in Sydney all the time.

England Knights v Scotland in Cumbria  could work.

I agree that Fiji and Tonga, not so much Samoa, should play at least on e game a year in Fiji or Tonga. If they played each other, it would have a derby type rivalry atmosphere. I bet they could get 10,000 crowds in each country. The costs not covered by gate receipts and TV coverage should be subsidised from WC profits. The benefits for the game in each country would be enormous and might just hit RU there very hard.

#53 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

I agree that Fiji and Tonga, not so much Samoa, should play at least on e game a year in Fiji or Tonga. If they played each other, it would have a derby type rivalry atmosphere. I bet they could get 10,000 crowds in each country. The costs not covered by gate receipts and TV coverage should be subsidised from WC profits. The benefits for the game in each country would be enormous and might just hit RU there very hard.

I know it is expensive, but I can't help but feel that subsidising the likes of Wales or France (2 of the more authentic Test teams) to travel to the Pacific Islands and PNG on a regular basis, plus the Pacific Island teams to Europe would be a great move and really help to create proper teams based in these countries.

#54 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

I know it is expensive, but I can't help but feel that subsidising the likes of Wales or France (2 of the more authentic Test teams) to travel to the Pacific Islands and PNG on a regular basis, plus the Pacific Island teams to Europe would be a great move and really help to create proper teams based in these countries.

That's a great idea as well but likely, as you say, to be much more expensive especially in terms of travel costs.

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

That's a great idea as well but likely, as you say, to be much more expensive especially in terms of travel costs.

This is where the 4N needs to be driven forwards to benefit the international game, not to line the pockets of the RFL, ARL or NZRL.

It certainly is not cheap, but with the right strategy I think it is possible to bring over Tonga and Samoa alongside Australia and NZ during a 4N year. We have now seen that there is a demand to watch these nations, although it should be recognised that these games would be outside of a WC.

France can get decent crowds, as can Wales in the right grounds, and I suspect Cumbria would flock to see the likes of Tonga and Warrington have an affinity with Samoa now. 

We need to move away from the belief that these countries will only attract 1-2k, with the right plan and promotion they can absolutely be crowd favourites.

#56 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Who'd a thought that we''d get to a point in history where the diggers look more pompous than the Royal Family? Get your act together or you'll be the only ones      playing the game, and you've already got a model for how boring that can be in your own back yard! ( Oh, sorry you already think you are the only ones playing the game!)

"Is he an Aussie
Is he, is he,
Is he an Aussie is he, eh?
Is it because
He is an Aussie
That he makes you dizzy,
Lizzie?" :shout: :ph34r:

Edited by Oxford, 12 June 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#57 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

In effect the NRL and the ESL have decided that International Rugby League is secondary to their agenda.

#58 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Several games being sold out in advance and a good crowd at Wembley? Yeah, I would be happy to see that again.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#59 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

Don't feed the Troll!

#60 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

The USA qualified for the last world cup by playing in the USA against SA and Jamaica using mostly home grown players from their domestic league, which has grown since then. They can do it again. Once they qualified they did indeed pick a team of ex pat Americans and ditched some of their domestic players who helped them qualify but I think the team that did play all had as bona fide American connections or  American passports.

Italy also qualified by playing in Italy and barely defeated a Lebanon side to qualify on points difference I think. As with the USA the Italian League is growing. The use of heritage players to get a good performance at the WC was great publicity for the game in each country which must have enhanced the knowledge and interest in the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users