Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Totally disillusioned with international rugby league

Going nowhere fast

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 Gambass

Gambass
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

The USA qualified for the last world cup by playing in the USA against SA and Jamaica using mostly home grown players from their domestic league, which has grown since then. They can do it again. Once they qualified they did indeed pick a team of ex pat Americans and ditched some of their domestic players who helped them qualify but I think the team that did play all had as bona fide American connections or  American passports.

Italy also qualified by playing in Italy and barely defeated a Lebanon side to qualify on points difference I think. As with the USA the Italian League is growing. The use of heritage players to get a good performance at the WC was great publicity for the game in each country which must have enhanced the knowledge and interest in the game.

No it was not. For instance, I can't find a single article related to the RLWC on the Gazzetta delo Sport (major sport newspaper in Italy) website.

A new sport in a country with an allready established sporting landscape has really not a lot to offer to his members. The possibility of representing his own nation in sporting's events for people who would never had a shot at otherwise is one of the few advantages a new sport has. RL has managed to spoil it. Congrats.

#62 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

I don't think it's fair to compare the situation in the USA with Italy. The USA team was mostly down to spitefulness on the AMNRL's part, there are genuine Americans playing the game who've represented their country several times, who were dropped for the WC. Now the AMNRL has finally died, the game can start to move forward in the US with only one true body there now. In Italy, there is next to no development going on, only the 'rebel' federation are doing any work, which is the same as pre-WC. The national team for the European B, is largely made up of heritage players and union players playing for, what I suspect, is fake teams in the governing bodies league. The only way the sport will grow in Italy, is if the governing body dies off like in the USA. 

#63 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

No it was not. For instance, I can't find a single article related to the RLWC on the Gazzetta delo Sport (major sport newspaper in Italy) website.

A new sport in a country with an allready established sporting landscape has really not a lot to offer to his members. The possibility of representing his own nation in sporting's events for people who would never had a shot at otherwise is one of the few advantages a new sport has. RL has managed to spoil it. Congrats.

The Wiggles did a song on u tube about the USA team in the world cup. Apparently they are popular with kids world wide so some American kids will have watched it.

What about local papers on towns where RL has a team in both Italy and the USA.I know for instance that the Rhode Island Rebellion have articles in the Providence Journal on their team so a US national team article may have crept in as well.The chance to represent their country in qualifiers and European championships will be a good enough carrot to attract new players. Down the road the goal should be to have mostly home based players representing these countries but for RLWC it was a bridge too far. I do agree there should have been a few more domestic players in each squad though.

#64 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

The USA team got some domestic media coverage, although not a huge lot, but it was all very positive.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#65 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

I cant think how this last RLWC promotes the game . I don't want to watch Australians pretending to be other  nationals. Its not a good look. Spin all you like but it takes League down a no exit cul de sac.

We need a touring GB side in Aus and a strong France. Both achievable.

#66 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

I cant think how this last RLWC promotes the game . I don't want to watch Australians pretending to be other  nationals. Its not a good look. Spin all you like but it takes League down a no exit cul de sac.

We need a touring GB side in Aus and a strong France. Both achievable.

Both those aims have nothing to do with the heritage player rant you were on before. Why can't we have both a GB touring side, a strong France and other nations playing heritage players until their domestic leagues grow and prosper and produce some home grown stars.

In fact with Widdop, Reed, Chase in their squad you might almost accuse England of going the heritage player route.

#67 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:15 AM

In fact with Widdop, Reed, Chase in their squad you might almost accuse England of going the heritage player route.

How are Widdop and Chase heritage players? By that criteria so are Burgess and Graham. They are English guys living and/or playing in Australia...that's not heritage.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#68 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

Widdop moved to Australia when he was 16 and had already played RL in England before he left. Chase isn't a heritage player, but a residency player, though he really isn't an improvement on what we already have. Reed, you could argue, isn't an English player, as he moved to Australia at 2 and played all his RL there, but I don't think he is good enough anyway. The only heritage player to play for England was Heighnington, who was pony and hopefully won't put on the shirt again. 

#69 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:28 AM

Reed hasn't played all his RL in Australia, i am sure there is some footage around of him playing amateur footy for one of the Keighley clubs.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#70 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

Reed hasn't played all his RL in Australia, i am sure there is some footage around of him playing amateur footy for one of the Keighley clubs.

From 2011.

Reed was born near Keighley, emigrating with his parents Joe and Kath at the age of two, and last season turned out for his village team Silsden while holidaying in Europe.

He made three appearances in Division Four of the Pennine League, with the offer of pre-season trials for the Cougars – and his father even paid his air fare as a 21st birthday present.

But the strong-running centre or second-rower was thrown a lifeline by Brisbane Norths and from there was spotted by the Broncos, where he has become an ever-present in a sensational debut season.

Edited by boxhead, 15 June 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#71 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

How are Widdop and Chase heritage players? By that criteria so are Burgess and Graham. They are English guys living and/or playing in Australia...that's not heritage.

Because they grew up and played their RL in Australia or NZ but are UK qualified. Most of the US, Fiji, Italy and Samoan players are the same. Their outlook and knowledge of life will be much more orientated to Aus or NZ than English.

#72 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

The only heritage player to play for England was Heighnington, who was pony and hopefully won't put on the shirt again. 

You'll be pleased to hear he hasn't given up hope of playing again for England, and has apparently even rejected advances to get him in the NSW City v Country game so he can still play for England. Not that I'd pick him, but then again, I'm not selecting the England team. 

#73 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Because they grew up and played their RL in Australia or NZ but are UK qualified. Most of the US, Fiji, Italy and Samoan players are the same. Their outlook and knowledge of life will be much more orientated to Aus or NZ than English.

Widdop didn't leave the uk until almost an adult.

#74 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

The Elephant in the room is about to lift its trunk and bellow " We had the best ever RLWC".In this case the Elephant should be Ignored. As Ive asked before , where will the USA play Italy ? Sydney is the only venue .
If you are happy with International Rugby League teams being made up of Australians[and Kiwis and Pacific Islanders of course]then be happy with that. Don't pretend otherwise.
The NRL is run by boguns who dictate the future of any International game. Back to square 1 in 4 years.

#75 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

The Elephant in the room is about to lift its trunk and bellow " We had the best ever RLWC".In this case the Elephant should be Ignored. As Ive asked before , where will the USA play Italy ? Sydney is the only venue .
If you are happy with International Rugby League teams being made up of Australians[and Kiwis and Pacific Islanders of course]then be happy with that. Don't pretend otherwise.
The NRL is run by boguns who dictate the future of any International game. Back to square 1 in 4 years.

Jumbo says 'we had a really good WC'. That this legacy is being wasted is neither here nor there.

#76 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

The Elephant in the room is about to lift its trunk and bellow " We had the best ever RLWC".In this case the Elephant should be Ignored. As Ive asked before , where will the USA play Italy ? Sydney is the only venue .If you are happy with International Rugby League teams being made up of Australians[and Kiwis and Pacific Islanders of course]then be happy with that. Don't pretend otherwise.The NRL is run by boguns who dictate the future of any International game. Back to square 1 in 4 years.

But neither PNG nor France have a team of Aussies. It could be better but it is not as bad as you are painting it.

#77 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

I don't deny I paint a bad picture. That's the way I see International League and the way its run or in this case mismanaged. If the powers that be see the future of International footy [an Aussie name for rugby league] as an adjunct of the NRL it all goes nowhere. If you want the next RLWC to Involve 170 players from Australia  being allocated to their fantasy teams then don't be surprised if the great unwashed general public don't buy into it.

#78 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

I don't deny I paint a bad picture. That's the way I see International League and the way its run or in this case mismanaged. If the powers that be see the future of International footy [an Aussie name for rugby league] as an adjunct of the NRL it all goes nowhere. If you want the next RLWC to Involve 170 players from Australia being allocated to their fantasy teams then don't be surprised if the great unwashed general public don't buy into it.

What on earth are you on about?

#79 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

I do think there is a certain obsession to find as many NRL or Australian players as you can find, rather than giving your own guys a chance. One of the USA's best players I thought was Garvey, a bonafide American developed in the country, whilst I thought Aussie-developed Peterson was abysmal. PNG had some good young players that were developed in their own system in their country, including Wellington Albert who was then signed to Penrith. Stop obsessing over NRL players, not all of them are as good as they're made out to be. 

#80 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

I cant think why a genuine RLWC would be devalued by having actual residents of said Qualified Countries being Involved. I reject the Idea that having teams like Italy and USA in the last one being largely Australian in any way moved the game forward. Complete nonsense of an Idea.
If I was trying to promote League in Italy right now I would be asking the RLIF about what pathways a genuine Italian player might aspire to as in playing for his Country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users