Recruitment Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WV1

WV1
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

I'm a Welsh Widnes fan who regularly comes and watches Crusaders, when Widnes aren't playing. I want Crusaders to win, but aren't too bothered either way, so I like to look on as a 'neutral'.

In my opinion the main problems for you this year is recruitment. The recruitment has been very poor. I appreciate money is limited, but I think it's been spent in the wrong areas.

Look at Swinton yesterday: A massive pack and a general at scrum half, Ian Watson, who guided them around the field along with the Warrington lads. Look at Keighley: massive pack in Shickell and Hesekth with Handforth and Jones leading them around the field. This is where I think Crusaders' recruitment has been poor. Nobody in the halves who know this division inside out.

1 Tommy Johnson- From my viewing he's been very good, certainly good enough for this division. Good value for money.
2 Dan Birkett- Where is he?!
3 Christiaan Roets- As much as he tries he's not good enough for Championship.
5 Rob Massam- Same as Johnson- good value for money.
6 Andy Moulsdale- Would have been interesting to see how he coped without injury, could be the leader missing.
7 Jamie Dallimore- Definitely not Championship standard. In my opinion the games just passes by without him having any part.
8 Jonny Walker- Very good, wouldn't be surprised if other clubs are interested.
9 Craig Ashall- Expected more, especially coming from the championship already.
10 Mark Offerdahl- Expected more. Not consistent enough in my opinion. Needs to offer more, especially with him being the USA captain, needs to offer his experience.
11 Toby Adamson- Little bit too lightweight but can't knock his effort or commitment
12 Gary Middlehurst- As expected a standout from what I've seen. Aggression there's to see, too.
13 Jono Smith- If he could play longer minutes he'd be superb. Offloads well.
14 Stephen Wild- Total waste of space. Waste of money. Really, really disappointed in him.
15 David Mills- Where has he gone?!
17 Stuart Reardon- For me he doesn't do enough. Stays on his wing, which may be his instructions.
19 Karl Ashall- The better of the brothers for me. Versatile too.
20 Jamie Durbin- Too small for this division, but plays well when he does.
21 Simon Stephens- Definitely got the size, but doesn't play enough.
22 Adam Clay- Again, where is he?
23 Greg Wilde- On loan at Scorpions but never got the opportunity.
24 Lee Hudson- Too small for this division to play hooker. Not good enough again.
25 Owain Griffiths- Again, not good enough for this division.
26 Matt Reid- Haven't seen too much of him to be honest.
27 Jamie Clarke- Where is he?! In my opinion he would be superb. Massive guy with the aggression missing.
28 Craig White- Too small and not good enough for this division.
29 Stephen Bannister- Decent but don't think he's a centre.
Seb Martins- Has looked good but again, needs to carry more.
Jonathan Soum- Looked fantastic yesterday. The aggression was there to show and looked quick around the dummy half.

These are only my opinions, where do you fans who watch week in week out feel it's going wrong?

#2 rossco123

rossco123
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

I totally agree even the average teams in the division seem to outsize us and show a bell of a lot more aggression. They also play the ball much faster than we ever seem to. Also to many of our passes are flat with with nobody running on to the ball at speed therefore we never make any ground unless we get penalties. The coach must be held accountable for this in my opinion.

#3 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

Obviously you guys watch your team and have the right to your comments regarding the team.
You have to remember that yesterday we needed to win and have been so close on a number of occasions.
You also have to look at the wins you have picked up away at Halifax, Whitehaven and of course against us to name a few, your team was fine then and they will no doubt pick more wins as the season progresses so cut the lads and coaches a bit of slack and good luck for the remainder of the season.

#4 welshwire13

welshwire13
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

I think the criticism aimed at Wild is a little harsh. He works hard but I think fans may have some unrealistic expectations regarding him.

David Mills was an atrocious signing and Clive now realises that.

#5 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

Maybe you should all look a little harder at Swinton and see the best of our players are signed from the amateur game like Johnson and Brown and avoid the trap that many of our critics fall into and bang on about dual registration.
Ex super league does not mean good..

#6 WV1

WV1
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

Maybe you should all look a little harder at Swinton and see the best of our players are signed from the amateur game like Johnson and Brown and avoid the trap that many of our critics fall into and bang on about dual registration.
Ex super league does not mean good..

Is that Brown from a Leeds club? Looked like he could go higher (Top end Championship) if he shed a bit of timber!

Atkin at full back is ex-Widnes. Widnes would have kept him if the RFL didn't reduce the age for the academies. Will be a very good prospect In the future.

#7 WV1

WV1
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

I think the criticism aimed at Wild is a little harsh. He works hard but I think fans may have some unrealistic expectations regarding him.
David Mills was an atrocious signing and Clive now realises that.

Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinions but i disagree with both.

Watching Super League week in week out these players should be standing out in the Championship, especially at the bottom. While Wild may "work hard" this isn't good enough for a marquee signing. He should be leading the team and getting MOM more often than he does.,

In my opinion Mills would be good for Crusaders. He's big, experienced and knows the Championship. He would also strike a little bit more fear into opponents than Toby Adamson at prop!

#8 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:05 AM

Is that Brown from a Leeds club? Looked like he could go higher (Top end Championship) if he shed a bit of timber!

Atkin at full back is ex-Widnes. Widnes would have kept him if the RFL didn't reduce the age for the academies. Will be a very good prospect In the future.

Yes Queens I believe

#9 welshwire13

welshwire13
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Mills is certainly big and but he's never really cut it wherever he's gone. He never busts tackles and takes an age to play the ball. I felt like he's a player who's always had a reputation but never really delivered. He looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane!

But you make a good point with the likes of Stephens & Clarke sitting at home twiddling their thumbs. They run hard and should be given more opportunities.

Edited by welshwire13, 11 June 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#10 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

A new head coach in a few weeks

#11 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

A new head coach in a few weeks