A question for any refs out there.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 burnleywelsh

burnleywelsh
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

In the North West Men's League, at games where there is no touch judges, there is the option of advancing the ball 10 metres at infringements. My understanding of this is that it replicates the kick to touch and the tap is taken 10m from where the penalty occurs. At a recent fixture the referee allowed the player to rush forward 10m and take a quick tap, therefore the defending side could not touch the ball carrier for 20m from the point of infringement.
My understanding of the rule is that a quick tap can be taken at the point of the offence or the ball is advanced 10m and the defence would have time to retreat as per a kick to touch. A couple of tries were scored off the back of this referees interpretation. At the end of the day it didn't affect the final result but another day it could have.
I might be being a bit thick here, but hopefully someone out there might educate me.

#2 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 850 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

The "taking of 10" is a local rule usually used where if they kick for touch they will lose the ball in gardens etc

We were always advised that if taking 10 it should be done in a controlled manner I.e. Ball to ref who advanced the 10 metres and got the line set etc but this isn't in any laws or rules more a case of common sense

Hope this helps

#3 burnleywelsh

burnleywelsh
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

The "taking of 10" is a local rule usually used where if they kick for touch they will lose the ball in gardens etc
We were always advised that if taking 10 it should be done in a controlled manner I.e. Ball to ref who advanced the 10 metres and got the line set etc but this isn't in any laws or rules more a case of common sense
Hope this helps

Thanks, "common sense" being the key !!

#4 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Where it is done instead if a kick to touch the ball advances 10 but is also taken 10 in from touch as if it had been kicked into touch. Therefore you couldn't just walk forward 10 and tap it. Sounds like it wasn't an interpretation issue, the ref just got it wrong!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users