Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New RL TV show on tonight

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Apparently there is a new RL magazine show making it's debut on Premier Sports tonight. Tagged as "Rugby AM" it's on from 8pm until 9.30pm. Can't be any worse than the appalling Boots n All.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#2 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

Think its a radio show based up in Leeds. See a lot of retweets about the show from Keith Senior, who i think is part of the team that does it. Will be worth a watch.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

I'll try remember to record it.

I'm intrigued because Alex Simmons - who fronts the radio version and probably the telly show - does the Bulls game day announcing and he is an absolute embarrassment. I'd love to see him not be a tool on this.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

I'm intrigued because Alex Simmons - who fronts the radio version and probably the telly show - does the Bulls game day announcing and he is an absolute embarrassment. I'd love to see him not be a tool on this.

When he said on Sunday he had his own TV show, I thought they were repeating Phoenix Nights.  

Had to laugh when they said in the matchday mag this week when there was a feature on him saying something like "he certainly divides opinion". He certainly hasn't gone down well where I sit anyway.

Good luck to the bloke, he's clearly built something up from nothing, but I don't think I'll be tuning in. All seems a bit "RLFans", which is fine as there is clearly a market for that, but not for me.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

Think its a radio show based up in Leeds. See a lot of retweets about the show from Keith Senior, who i think is part of the team that does it. Will be worth a watch.

Sounds like its the same thing but transferred to TV as the hosts are listed as Alex Simmons, Lauren Walker, Keith Senior and JJB

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#6 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Sure I saw Chris Irvine tweet something yesterday about it being in the Huddersfield Uni TV studios.

#7 Karl Carpenter

Karl Carpenter
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Sounds like its the same thing but transferred to TV as the hosts are listed as Alex Simmons, Lauren Walker, KEITH SENIOR and JJB

Doubtful that there will be any criticism of Jamie Peacock then.

Edited by Karl Carpenter, 11 June 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#8 D34n0

D34n0
  • Players
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

Doubtful that there will be any criticism of Jamie Peacock then.

I'll be watching, it was on at a local rugby club around Christmas and was a fantastic show. For me it's just the sort of thing rugby needs in this country, after watching the footy show dulls n'all is embarrassing.

#9 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 712 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

I'll try remember to record it.

I'm intrigued because Alex Simmons - who fronts the radio version and probably the telly show - does the Bulls game day announcing and he is an absolute embarrassment. I'd love to see him not be a tool on this.

Is he really? He made a big thing in the off season about joining Halifax RLFC and pushing the clubs marketing and promotion side, and then...didn't. Glad he didn't do our game day announcements then.

Edited by RLDave, 11 June 2014 - 03:50 PM.

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#10 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

Oh dear :swoon:  I thought it was some spoof or mickey take. Please make it stop.

#11 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Why's it on at night if it's called Rugby AM?
Posted Image

#12 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Well

Downside
Low production - let's see it get some budget which would be nice

Nervous presenters - first gig, that's ok they'll get better

Wagga blacking up. No. Just no.

Upside:
Not boots and all
No Eddie and Stevo
It's a footie show clone

I hope it gets better and slicker, they learn to ditch what's ###### and that it is given a chance

We have precious few RL programmes on TV - let's nurture it

#13 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

It was like Royston Vasey does the Footy Show. Made the game feel like it had a geographical spread of about 5 square miles.

#14 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

Why's it on at night if it's called Rugby AM?

I'm guessing it's taken some inspiration from Soccer AM - logo is very similar.

I did manage to catch some actually, didn't realise I could watch as I don't have Premier. To be honest it felt very much like a party I'd arrived at about two hours too late and I'd missed out on all the in jokes. There is something of an idea in there, but it's WAY too long, by at least an hour and is in desperate need of a ruthless editor. It felt like student radio, but on tv. It looked like they had a lot of fun making it, but that doesn't mean it was fun to watch. Need some clearly defined roles too - I didn't catch the female presenters name, but did she actually do anything of note?

To make another Soccer AM comparison, it reminded me a lot of the old "Yorkshire News" parody they used to do. Not sure I'd tune in again

Edited by Amber Avenger, 11 June 2014 - 09:04 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#15 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

It was embarrassing

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

I'm guessing it's taken some inspiration from Soccer AM - logo is very similar.

I did manage to catch some actually, didn't realise I could watch as I don't have Premier. To be honest it felt very much like a party I'd arrived at about two hours too late and I'd missed out on all the in jokes. There is something of an idea in there, but it's WAY too long, by at least an hour and is in desperate need of a ruthless editor. It felt like student radio, but on tv. It looked like they had a lot of fun making it, but that doesn't mean it was fun to watch. Need some clearly defined roles too - I didn't catch the female presenters name, but did she actually do anything of note?

To make another Soccer AM comparison, it reminded me a lot of the old "Yorkshire News" parody they used to do. Not sure I'd tune in again

The female presenter was Chev Walker's wife and no, she didn't do anything except ask one team their quiz questions and show off her boobs. That was a shame actually as she sounded quite natural on TV when she did speak.

Edited by Saintslass, 11 June 2014 - 09:33 PM.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

I watched the whole show, bar the first 10 minutes.

For the most part I was cringing but that was because of the presenters and not the guests.  I thought the high points were Wayne Godwin's micky takes, especially the one of Jamie Foster which was genuinely hilarious I thought.  Kyle Amor and Alex Walmsley were class in the 'Team Mates' slot.  In fact, Kyle Amor should be one of the presenters.  He'd be a whole lot better than the rest of the men and people could understand him!  (While JJB is at ease in front of the cameras - the only one of the male presenters who was, I'd say - I can hardly understand a word he says) 

I agree with AA when they say there is something of an idea in there, it's just not presented well.  And they desperately need a panel member who is NOT from Yorkshire as that gives off all the wrong impressions of the sport.  This was on freeview too so anyone watching Sky channel 428 will have been able to see this.  Gosh. 

All of the slots had potential, even the one that was especially cringeworthy when two blokes went and became Bradford fans for a game.  But it was so, so badly done! 

Hopefully they will work on it and improve but if they stick with the same panel then I think it will struggle.  Premier Sports did tweet beforehand that they are going to improve the set but people who can actually perform in front of the camera are needed and a real mix of accents is needed too, and not just from the north west but from further afield, so as to help the programme appeal to the whole rugby league community.  It's obviously on a tight budget but hopefully they will be able to do more with it next time.

Edited by Saintslass, 11 June 2014 - 09:35 PM.

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

Pretty much everything I was thinking has already been said; what I saw was awful and cheap, but what I heard was the makings of a good programme, it was also good to see many of the people - players or otherwise - completely at ease most of the time... (barring Godwin of course, he absolutely babbed himself.)

And blacking up? Jesus wept!

Jones-Buchanan seems to have a decent personality, he just can't talk clearly for toffee, or some other sweet stuck in his teeth. Kirmond seemed at ease. But yes, clearer voices, different accents - barring that referee fella, just as bad - and run the ideas by a third party, not just someone else "in the gang".

I sort of enjoyed it, but it was well and truly flawed.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Oh and for something that's supposedly as live, it was barely topical at all.

Worse than Rugby League World *giggles*.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Never saw the show myself but it was trending on Twitter and everything i read was entirely positive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users