TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

New RL TV show on tonight

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Missed it also, so will try and catch a repeat at some point. It sounds like what i kind of imagined it would be like.. still, from acorns and all that. If things can be improved upon, who knows.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#22 Karl Carpenter

Karl Carpenter
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

A watered down Footy Show with Yorkshire accents.

#23 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

I enjoyed it will be tuning in to the next show.
Rip the bludgers heads off!

#24 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

They've massively ripped off the footy show (the presenter called out beau ryan) which is not a problem and hopefully it will be persevered with and tweaked e.t.c. The overly yorkshire crack is a fair point, JJB mentioned RL geography in one of his interviews, but we shouldn't be afraid of what we are either. 

We can only go forward from here and I look forward to next weeks show.

Edited by Marv Woodburn, 12 June 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#25 Theboyem

Theboyem
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

It needs an awful lot of work and some resources spent on it but the idea is a good one. A little more diversity might help as yesterdays made the flat clap and whippet myth seem pretty much bang on.

#26 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

It was essentially the RL equivalent of Wayne's World.

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

I didn't catch the show. Who blacked up? And what was so bad about it?
Posted Image

#28 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

I'm guessing it's taken some inspiration from Soccer AM - logo is very similar.

Yeah, but there's a reason why Soccer AM is called Soccer AM... it's in the bloody morning!

Rugby PM would have made sense. Rugby AM, airing in the evening, sounds about as amateur as the show was going by the comments.
Posted Image

#29 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

It needs an awful lot of work and some resources spent on it but the idea is a good one. A little more diversity might help as yesterdays made the flat clap and whippet myth seem pretty much bang on.

What was so bad was as this person says - it perpetuated the flat cap and whippet myth by only having northern accents and it was very Yorkshire/Lancashire centred.

#30 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Yeah, but there's a reason why Soccer AM is called Soccer AM... it's in the bloody morning!

Rugby PM would have made sense. Rugby AM, airing in the evening, sounds about as amateur as the show was going by the comments.

I know - I didn't make it, I'm offering an explination! I agree it's daft

Edited by Amber Avenger, 12 June 2014 - 12:01 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#31 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

The only resemblance to Soccer AM was this

#32 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

The only resemblance to Soccer AM was this

The accents on this aren't as strong as last nights.

#33 Topper1961

Topper1961
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

I'd like to be positive as any RL on TV is a bonus. However to be absolutely honest this was the most amateur rubbish I have ever seen in my life. It looked like the result of a sixth form media project. A few points:

1. Rugby League is played outside of Leeds!

2. All the presenters are very poor - what was the point of Chevs missus.

3. Copying the Footy Show is not the way to go.

4. Trying to be funny didnt work - no one was genuinely funny it was all contrived

5. Did anyone outside of Leeds understand a word JJB (great bloke) said.

6. Wayne Godwin - NO

That said the concept is one to be supported. I will watch the next one with an expectation of a big improvement. If it's more of the same I will not watch again. 

#34 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

I didn't catch the show. Who blacked up? And what was so bad about it?

Wayne Godwin did some micky takes (the one of Jamie Foster was the best, genuinely funny).  One of them was of JJB, and he blacked up to the point of daftness for it.  Since JJB was on the panel of the show then I don't see what was wrong with it at all.

#35 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

It was a bit like the footy show hosted by corpses glad it was on premier sports and not a channel that people watch

#36 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

It was a bit like the footy show hosted by corpses glad it was on premier sports and not a channel that people watch

Except it was on freeview, so anyone with a Sky subscription could have watched it!

#37 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

It needed a lot more editing and a lot less waffle. Enjoyed the Mick Morgan ''i cant spyk'' interview with Campbell. Beau Ryan ain't that funny, so they do not need to follow that route.

Personally, I would like to see them discuss current issues, no matter who it concerns. Peacock, Hardaker etc..They could have regular segment on highlighting the history of the game and the players.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#38 callig

callig
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Decent first effort.  Think they've done remarkably well just to get on air given they have more than likely got a shoe string budget to work with.  Probably the only reason they have any budget at all is because they've said they'll copy a winning format.

Hope they get a fair crack and we get a genuine alternative to Sky's output.

#39 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Watching it now and its alright so far, I hope they stick with it and I'm sure it will get even better. Well done to all involved!
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#40 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

Ok having Danny Kirmond looking into social media was a good touch (if another in joke).

5 mins in, and unfortunately it is let down badly by the sound and set, and a dare I say it, feeding to a stereotype.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users