Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New RL TV show on tonight

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Shipley Ram

Shipley Ram
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

It did look cheap but thought for a first effort it was pretty decent and hilarious at parts
RUGBY LEAGUE IS MY RELIGION.
CROWN FLATT IS MY CHURCH.

#42 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,555 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Wayne Godwin did some micky takes (the one of Jamie Foster was the best, genuinely funny). One of them was of JJB, and he blacked up to the point of daftness for it. Since JJB was on the panel of the show then I don't see what was wrong with it at all.

Like I say, I've not seen it. But the comments people have made about blacking up being a no no, I don't quite understand? Are they suggesting it's racist?
Posted Image

#43 Karl Carpenter

Karl Carpenter
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

It needed a lot more editing and a lot less waffle. Enjoyed the Mick Morgan ''i cant spyk'' interview with Campbell. Beau Ryan ain't that funny, so they do not need to follow that route.

Personally, I would like to see them discuss current issues, no matter who it concerns. Peacock, Hardaker etc..They could have regular segment on highlighting the history of the game and the players.

Hardly likely that they would have a recent Leeds player and a current Leeds player discussing / criticising teammates.

#44 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

Got round to watching this through last night, and, in parts, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. When they actually got talking about Rugby it was OK. The alleged funny bits just weren't funny though. Blatantly copying the Footy Show probably isn't the best way to go as that show can be pretty shambolic at times. Agree with all the other comments re the Yorkshire bias though. 

#45 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:31 AM

Hardly likely that they would have a recent Leeds player and a current Leeds player discussing / criticising teammates.

And that's the problem with current players on a show like this as guests - they're not going to come out and criticise a fellow player. As you see on Sky though, even where you have ex players they might not like to offer any opinion because they still work in the game for one of the clubs. You need to have people on who are not involved and aren't afraid of expressing their opinions. Rugby AM came over as far too 'matey' for that kind of thing. 

#46 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Rugby League is becoming a joke sport please lets have no more of that trash

#47 Bluepaul

Bluepaul
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

On the whole I quite liked it.  For a first effort, with obviously little budget, I thought there was potential.

I'm sure if we could see episode 1 of The Footy Show or Soccer AM, it would look a lot less professional than it does now.

Fingers crossed that it's allowed to develop and improve, 

#48 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Soccer AM is well best it's sell by date and jumped the shark years ago.

#49 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,770 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

Ok having Danny Kirmond looking into social media was a good touch (if another in joke).

They could get Josh Charnley to do that section... er, maybe not!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#50 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Thought the show was very slapstick. Is that gonna be JJB's catchphrase " I'm from the big apple!! You know Bramley" he must have used it at least 4 times. Maybe give it an hour and let it work the good from bad out.

#51 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

Watched this on the repeat and could only manage about 15 mins. quite painful at times and as others have said it seemed they were really trying to be funny, or trying to provide as close of a copy to the footy show as they could, but obviously not being able to.

A bit more work and it could prove to be a decent enough show, but they're some way off that the moment.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#52 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,983 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

Well TISWAS was rubbish when it first started.

:ph34r:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users