Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tours – Register Your Interest Now!
Join TotalRL.com, League Express & Rugby League World at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup in Australia, New Zealand & Papua New Guinea! Click here for more info

Rugby League World
FREE 2016 Fixture Guide
League Express

Rugby League Yearbook 2015-2016

Photo
- - - - -

Kyle

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

He's now a squad player in a top 4 team, its time to see if its a case of he has the talent but has just been playing in poor teams, or whether he just cant cut it. If he cant I guess we just revert to the 2nd best half back pairing in the league. :tongue:

Let's hope the team deliver like you want because it would be a Shame to see Moore do well for you and the rest of your team not deliver

#122 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Blues Ox is harmless enough and it's fairly transparent what he's doing, it's a shame so many of his posts are having a sly dig as he does actually have some useful stuff to say at times but it's hard to take a lot of what he says seriously given his obvious agenda; then again that's often the nature of RL forums.

Some of the stuff he says a lot on here I agree with -

1. Halifax should do well this year, they have a decent pack, and looked a different team especially in the second half of the season to the one that struggled under Harrison. They really ought to be aiming for second this year as I'm not totally convinced by Bradford under Lowes. The issue for them might be how long a window they have, if they make a big impact this year a lot of eyes are going to be on Marshall, (eg Tony Smith is in the last year of his contract at Warrington and under a bit of pressure), and after the success of Daryl Powell at Cas I think there might be a lot of interest in an up-and-coming British coach in the Championship.

2. Sheffield's recruitment looks ordinary & apparently they've just been knocked back for a visa for an aussie half back.They still have QLT, Yere & Knowles who are their three stars but they will need to gel quickly and avoid injuries to make the top 4 for me.

3. His point that Fev's pack looks a bit ordinary is also a fair one, at least based on what we saw last season - even though we won the Shield we were outmuscled by Batley (despite somehow winning that game) & Dewsbury towards the backend of last season. Early signs are encouraging though and sometimes the whole can be better than the sum of the parts - the pack that helped us beat Cas back in 2012 didn't have flashy names (Dale, Spears, Kaye, Lockwood, Haley etc) and wasn't the biggest but got the job done. Sharp seems to have the type of squad he wants this time around and it will be interesting to see how we go.

4. Batley should go better this year - I thought their recruitment was ordinary the past couple of years but they held on to Rowe & Brown who are both very handy players and their pack is sure to keep them in lots of games. I don't think Brambani & Walker will provide any magic solutions but they are an improvement on what Batley have fielded at half back the last couple of seasons, and Davey should go well for them at hooker.

some of the stuff he says I disagree with:
1. the Thackeray/Moore debate...I'd much rather have Thackeray, having seen plenty of both over the last couple of years. For me, Thackeray might be a bit like Liam Finn, playing his best football later on in his career, and he looked a much better player at Dewsbury than he did under the Harrison regime at Fax. He does have that habit of rushing forward out of the defensive line, but Moore does that too, the difference from what I have seen being that Thackeray has a habit of timing it right and getting the interceptions that make up for the odd missed tackle, whereas Moore more often seems to find himself in no-man's land. Moore wasn't as bad at Fev as some fans portrayed and might actually look quite good at Fax (if he gets in the team) assuming their pack goes as well as it does last year, as he has a good kicking game and scrum halves tend to look good in those circumstances (eg when Fev beat Fax at the Shay in 2014, all Moore really had to do was keep popping the ball into touch).He's played some of his better games against Fax over the years, but Fev fans (& Batley ones probably too) know that he can often disappear too. for me, he doesn't scare teams with the ball in his hands like Thackeray can.

2) DR is Fev becoming Leeds' "playthings" (his word). I don't like DR and I doubt if there are many fans anywhere who do really, but to me it's more about playing the system and the rules that have been put in front of us. The key is the massive differential of prize money between finishing in the top 4 or not; from memory, it amounted to something like 500k-780k for the top 4 (depending on eventual finishing position in the middle 8s) to just 250k (I think) for finishing 5th. If I were pumping the amount of money into a RL club year on year that our chairman is I'd be doing everything I could within the rules to try and get in that top four.There's the obvious and well-documented risks about team morale bringing players from outside in, but given the massive disparity in prize money depending on where you finish I can absolutely see why we have done it in a year where we have clearly had to cut costs in some areas.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman, 11 January 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#123 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

Blues Ox is harmless enough and it's fairly transparent what he's doing,......<snip>

As I've said before the ignore function's a great option (works well on the main board with Parky too).

And on the subject of DR, old Oxy thinks that 'fax's agreement with HKR is still in place.......but, of course, that arrangement is 'different' See post 27 http://www.totalrl.c...inohawks/page-2

#124 The Blues Ox

The Blues Ox
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:01 PM

As I've said before the ignore function's a great option (works well on the main board with Parky too).

And on the subject of DR, old Oxy thinks that 'fax's agreement with HKR is still in place.......but, of course, that arrangement is 'different' See post 27 http://www.totalrl.c...inohawks/page-2

Im not sure the ignore function is working too well if you can still see my posts. ;)

#125 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

I only found need to use the ignore function once.... and now I don't use it at all 😆
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users