Leigh

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

Apparently there was an absolute cracker of a match between Leigh and Halifax tonight which Leigh managed to win 26-24.

Sadly, Sam Barlow also suffered what sounds like a horrible injury following a tackle (which may or may not have been legal - I wasn't there so I don't know).  He has a suspected fractured skull and bleed, and has been taken to a local trauma unit by ambulance.

Hopefully he won't be as bad as appeared to be the case and will make a full recovery.

#2 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

good god i hope sam is ok, he has been going great for leigh this season

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#3 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

Top lad is Sam, hope it's not as serious as is being reported on the Leigh forum on RLFans.

Was listening to the game on the radio, sounded like a very late attack to the head by Dane Manning (who was dismissed), Sam was out cold for 6 or 7 minutes, while being booed by the Halifax fans, classy.

Leigh fans are reporting that the police have asked for a video of the incident.

Speedy recovery Sam

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

good god i hope sam is ok, he has been going great for leigh this season

Although I'm not a Leigh fan (in that I don't go to all of their games), having only just recently seen them play so very well and having an interest in the game as a whole, it's just a shock to hear about such an awful injury in what was otherwise apparently a brilliant game to watch.  I was following Gareth Walker on Twitter as he was updating on the match itself.

#5 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

A few late hits by Fax and poor officials caused the problem imo

#6 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

Liam Kay has just tweeted that the scan is clear.... Good news for Big Sam.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#7 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

Sam Barlow is a love or hate charactor. A Player who is willing to put sly digs in as and when. Has a very good offloading game, makes good metres and should be in SL. He has much potential, but seems happy to be lazy and act like a muppet both on and off the field. No idea why, but he loves to go on Social media and wind Fax fans up even though he is from the area. He also posted some very nasty comments about Fax fans which angered a number of people. Remember Fev fans complaining once because he allegedly spat at some of them. Leigh are just as good as giving out the rough stuff as seen in the Leeds game. Leigh and Fax is always a game that brings out the best and worst in both teams.

The first game this year Barlow hit Manning and Heaton late and was goading Manning behind the Refs back. I believe Manning hit him illegally last night and allowed himself to be woundup by Barlow. Should be facing a lengthy ban if found guilty as no excuse for punching no matter whatHope he makes a full recovery and can concentrate more on his positives and cut the negative side of his life/game out as he could easily be an England Player if he played to his potential and stopped the silly stuff out.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 12 June 2014 - 06:00 AM.

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

Liam Kay has just tweeted that the scan is clear.... Good news for Big Sam.

Yes, I've just seen that on Twitter.  Good news.  Whatever the lad's reputation (and I remember him from watching the Championship matches on Premier Sports last season), the kind of injury he was suspected of having isn't what we want, so it's great that he's ok.  He was kept in hospital overnight for observation.

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

regardless of sams demeanour no one deserves to be injured in that way 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#10 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

I have just watched the video it is a disgusting foul. Passes the ball and turns away for a second and he gets a forearm smash in the face. A very very long ban should be put in place. No place in the game for this type of assault. 

The ball was long gone.

#11 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Jeez, the ref team didn't do so well there in terms of keeping them split up!

#13 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

That was the worst in a serious of late hits after a pivot had passed, the ref was pathetic all night
The Barlow hit was cowardice imo he then ran around looking for someone to hit and then ran into our team as he was walking off

#14 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Looks very much like the hit he took playing for Sheffield against Widnes a few years ago. He wasn't hurt badly that time but Mark Aston said it was a potential career-ending "tackle".

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#15 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

Manning hasn't done himself any favours at all there. First the high hit, then seems to throw the first punch then walks around the back of the ref to continue. He'll be out for a few games I think. Can't see why the police would be interested, I think someone is having a good old stir there.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#16 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

It wasn't the high shot for me it was how late it was

#17 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Think Red Hall might be busy next Tuesday !

#18 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

That was the worst in a serious of late hits after a pivot had passed, the ref was pathetic all night
The Barlow hit was cowardice imo he then ran around looking for someone to hit and then ran into our team as he was walking off

Same ref lost control of the game when you visited us, resulting in a mass brawl.

Sounded to me like Manning should have been in the bin the previous set and in failing to do so, the ref was partially responsible for the incident.

Edited by Ponterover, 12 June 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#19 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

It wasn't the high shot for me it was how late it was

It was a clear, pre-meditated attack on the head for me.  No intent to tackle and the ball had been gone long enough for Manning to have pulled out, which coincidentally, his dad should have done.

#20 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

Can't see why the police would be interested

They should be, this had sod all to do with rugby, it was a violent assault.  In my opinion, that should be dealt with by a higher court than the RFL disciplinary tribunal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Leigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users