Leigh

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

Poor match officiating for me and really the RFL should have known they needed a strong Ref who can handle tough games. There was bad blood from the previous game between Barlow and a few Fax players. Barlow punched and took a couple of players in off the ball incidents including Manning and was red carded. There is a bit of needle between the two sets of players. 

From the video, Manning deserves a long ban for late tackle and punching no matter if he had been provoked or not previously by Barlow. But there are a couple from both sides that will join him at Red Hall. I just cant believe the Match Officials (Not just the Ref) allowed the players to be so close after the first brawl. Usually send the players a good 15-20 metres away from each other and the tunnel and bench area then call Captains and the players one at a time. For me it comes across as players were allowed to get away with things and has built up and then it just all boils over. Could have been prevented by sinbinning a couple before the incident and took the heat out of things. 

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 12 June 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#22 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

That was the worst in a serious of late hits after a pivot had passed, the ref was pathetic all night
The Barlow hit was cowardice imo he then ran around looking for someone to hit and then ran into our team as he was walking off

Ah, the old blame the ref excuse. It doesn't matter how good or bad the ref was, the players should be able to keep some kind of self-discipline. This was a straight pre-meditated assault, it didn't resemble anything like a tackle. Long ban for me and certainly no surprise if the Police do get involved.

#23 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Jeez, the ref team didn't do so well there in terms of keeping them split up!

I was thinking that, and meanwhile a player is out cold on the floor. 

That hit looked very deliberate, and the fights both seemed to be started by Halifax players.  Doesn't look good for them. (Unless they all plead the Peacock defence of course!)

#24 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

We've had this discussion before. A few times I think.

#25 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

I was thinking that, and meanwhile a player is out cold on the floor. 

That hit looked very deliberate, and the fights both seemed to be started by Halifax players.  Doesn't look good for them. (Unless they all plead the Peacock defence of course!)

The ref's problem was that there looked to be things breaking out all over. Could well be that officials of both Clubs could well be summoned to Red Hall in the next few days. There will be a lot of fall out from this.

#26 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 734 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

They should be, this had sod all to do with rugby, it was a violent assault. In my opinion, that should be dealt with by a higher court than the RFL disciplinary tribunal.

So all the other players of both teams who throw punches should be reported to the police also then? Punching has nothing to with Rugby League.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#27 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

In addition the late shot which started it the Halifax 13 should be charged for restarting the fighting

A number of players from birth sided should also be charged for the fighting

Hopefully the instigator gets a long ban for what was a disgraceful act

#28 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Ah, the old blame the ref excuse. It doesn't matter how good or bad the ref was, the players should be able to keep some kind of self-discipline. This was a straight pre-meditated assault, it didn't resemble anything like a tackle. Long ban for me and certainly no surprise if the Police do get involved.

If its brown, smells and comes out of your arris its a ###### - the ref was shocking and has been in the 3 games we have had him. This was not the first late cheap shot, if he had sorted things out earlier this probably would not have happened. It was like going back to the 70's last night

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

Just two players charged from this game.

Dane Manning has been charged twice: with a Grade E intentional striking with the shoulder, and Grade D punching.  He doesn't have the right to an EGP with either of those charges.

Kurt Haggerty charged with a Grade C punching.  He does have the right to an EGP.

I would imagine Manning is going to get a very long ban.  Grade E alone is 4 to 8 matches.

#30 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

For me the whole incident is shocking we have a player with a potential serious injury prone on the floor with several people attending to him and the brawl starts again .
With little or no concern for the injured player .
The RFL must be severe here on several counts first the disgraceful cowardly off the ball from Manning .
Then the subsequent brawls and the fact that the first brawls stops and then is restarted cant believe only two players have been cited .

Manning should be charged twice first for the late tackle to the head and then for running in to start the second brawl .

The Hull K R chair is spot on the RFL disciplinary team are not fit for purpose .

Edited by TaxiEgg, 12 June 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#31 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

For me the whole incident is shocking we have a player with a potential serious injury prone on the floor with several people attending to him and the brawl starts again .
With little or no concern for the injured player .
The RFL must be severe here on several counts first the disgraceful cowardly off the ball from Manning .
Then the subsequent brawls and the fact that the first brawls stops and then is restarted cant believe only two players have been cited .

Manning should be charged twice first for the late tackle to the head and then for running in to start the second brawl .

The Hull K R chair is spot on the RFL disciplinary team are not fit for purpose .

So which players should be charged and for what.

#32 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

See my post above.  He has been charged twice: once for the 'tackle' (Grade E) and once for punching (Grade D).  Can't ask for more than that.  He could be out for 10 weeks in total.

#33 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

Just two players charged from this game.

Dane Manning has been charged twice: with a Grade E intentional striking with the shoulder, and Grade D punching.  He doesn't have the right to an EGP with either of those charges.

Kurt Haggerty charged with a Grade C punching.  He does have the right to an EGP.

I would imagine Manning is going to get a very long ban.  Grade E alone is 4 to 8 matches.

I suspect the 2 charged are from the fact that they were sent off. Following video review I'd expect there to be a few more......

#34 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

I suspect the 2 charged are from the fact that they were sent off. Following video review I'd expect there to be a few more......

It'll be squeeky bum time for 2 or 3 from each team from what I could pick out from the (poor quality) footage I've seen.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

The ref's problem was that there looked to be things breaking out all over. Could well be that officials of both Clubs could well be summoned to Red Hall in the next few days. There will be a lot of fall out from this.

In the clip quite late on, after the brawl had flared up again the ref still seemed quite passive and allowed the players to mill around close to each other. He should have been bawling at them, using his arms to get them to both retreat to their own 40's.

He looked like a little lost lad.

#36 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

As a ref you are encouraged to keep well away from brawls because

1. You could get hit
2. You have a better view of any blindside hits.

Not like the good old days when refs would get in the middle of it, and maybe throw a couple themselves.

However, you have to use whatever means you can to stop it. Voice, body language etc. And certainly when it's stopped you have to separate the sides by a good distance before discussing and acting.

Not sure about this case, but a lot of refs now get fast tracked through academies and scholarships where the discipline is usually very good. Doing your time in the Pennine League and National Conference seems to be a thing of the past.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

As a ref you are encouraged to keep well away from brawls because

1. You could get hit
2. You have a better view of any blindside hits.

Not like the good old days when refs would get in the middle of it, and maybe throw a couple themselves.

However, you have to use whatever means you can to stop it. Voice, body language etc. And certainly when it's stopped you have to separate the sides by a good distance before discussing and acting.

Not sure about this case, but a lot of refs now get fast tracked through academies and scholarships where the discipline is usually very good. Doing your time in the Pennine League and National Conference seems to be a thing of the past.

Yep, I'm not suggesting that he should get in the middle, but there were a couple of opportunities where the fighting had stopped - that's where he should have been using his presence to split them up. It doesn't look like that happened and they went at it again!

Of course this is just my opinion from a Youtube clip, but he didn;t look massively in control of the situation, not that i'm suggesting it is easy!

#38 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

certainly going to make the next game between these two even more interesting!.. especially if Barlow and Manning are playing.

Incidently, does anyone see a great deal of difference between this incident and the infamous Les Boyd hit of Daryll Brohman? of course that was at a time when the ARL were looking to clean up the game down under, and Boyd got given a 12 month ban even though he never got sent off for the foul,but was later cited by Brohman's club Penrith. Could such a thing be done by Leigh?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#39 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

I don't follow the fortunes of Leigh Centurions very closely but they do seem to have their fair share of discipline problems,in a number of areas,in a number of games.

As they have acquired a squad of players from full time training clubs they may feel they can 'try it on' against part timers.

Sam Barlow has in the past managed to upset a number of otherwise unflappable individuals.

My attention has been drawn to the following link by a posting on the Halifax forum.I feel in total agreement with it.

http://www.loverugby...with-thugs.html

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#40 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

As you are a Salford fan I can accept your total lack of RL knowledge

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Leigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users