Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Football world cup and SL game scheduling

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Cant see many people watching the world cup tonight on freeview when you can pay good money to watch leeds and hudds cant think what fifa are thinking of surely they could have delayed the kick off

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

I've changed the thread title to be more generic on football world cup scheduling against SL fixtures.  There's already specific threads for individual games.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

This is pretty irritating, as it's actually very easy to avoid a clash given the time different between the UK and Brazil. However, because it's on Sky, they have the right to play the game at this time and play the two off against one another (!).

What is even more ridiculous is teams playing non-Sky games that clash directly with World Cup games. The Widnes, Wakefield and Hull KR games tomorrow night take place at the same time as the Spain-Netherlands game, which is complete madness. I'm sure there will be a few more over the coming month.

Edited by Just Browny, 12 June 2014 - 11:17 AM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#4 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

I'll be interested to know the POV of people on here after the MW/FA Cup clash.
Posted Image

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

This is pretty irritating, as it's actually very easy to avoid a clash given the time different between the UK and Brazil. However, because it's on Sky, they have the right to play the game at this time and play the two off against one another (!).

What is even more ridiculous is teams playing non-Sky games that clash directly with World Cup games. The Widnes, Wakefield and Hull KR games tomorrow night take place at the same time as the Spain-Netherlands game, which is complete madness. I'm sure there will be a few more over the coming month.

I can live with the Sky games retaining their spots, although it does mean I will miss tonight's attractive SL game due to a work WC event, but any clubs who have not factored in the WC for non-TV games want shafting.

The game tomorrow night is an attractive one for football and clubs should be avoiding these clashes where possible.

#6 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

All RL games on the afternoon of 6th July to be re-aranged

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Is that the final?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

There are no FIFA World Cup games that day?

#9 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Platini says he is not supporting blatter anymore he must be mad at him for brazil game clashing with super league

#10 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Surely soccer fans watch soccer and Rugby League fans watch Rugby League so if anybody wants to watch a soccer match between two countries in which the England soccer team does not feature then they are by definition a soccer fan and not a Rugby League fan...

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

All RL games on the afternoon of 6th July to be re-aranged

Tour de France in West Yorkshire - many major road closures making it difficult for teams and fans to travel.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Tour de France in West Yorkshire - many major road closures making it difficult for teams and fans to travel.

Thanks for that.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Surely soccer fans watch soccer and Rugby League fans watch Rugby League so if anybody wants to watch a soccer match between two countries in which the England soccer team does not feature then they are by definition a soccer fan and not a Rugby League fan...

You'll find there are alt of passive sports fans interested in our game. They'll watch the biggest event in town. At the moment, that's any game of the World Cup.
Posted Image

#14 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

Cas have rescheduled their home game with Salford to 28 June because they are on a Sky Thursday game the following week. They were originally scheduled to play on the Sunday. England could be playing in the second phase of the WC on that day but kick-off would be 9pm. The Cas game kicks off at 7pm. Seems reasonable as fans can stay at the ground to watch England.

#15 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Eyes glazed over cos the fwc brings soccer bores out of the woodwork. TBTH I couldn't be less  interested if it was a tory landslide at a general election. Might be considered like being in the kitchen at parties but whatever's on the other side wouldn't stop me watching RL TGG!

RL isn't one thing it's the ONLY THING!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

On another thread Daddy_ merged said speaking about the SRD  relegation battle

"Not gonna happen for another year at least"
Daddy_merged, very brave could be a little early but after all the player bashing and MK bagging  hardly surprising.

I'll lend you my mantra just as a show of support,
"It is a brave and honest person who can stand apart from the masses and openly challenge its most treasured beliefs."

#16 lionwolf

lionwolf
  • Facebook
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

There are no FIFA World Cup games that day?

Just one SL game in West Yorkshire on that day Bradford v Catalan Wakefield v Leeds on Friday and Huddersfield v Salford put back to Saturday all due to the Tour de France

Edited by lionwolf, 15 June 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#17 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

What if you enjoy 'soccer' and RL? I enjoy both, but I've been watching the WC over the RL, Brazil on the Thursday and Spain v Netherlands on Friday. That doesn't mean I don't like RL, the WC comes around every 4 years, whereas I can watch most of these teams play eachother 2/3/maybe 4 times a year. 

#18 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

What if you enjoy 'soccer' and RL? I enjoy both, but I've been watching the WC over the RL, Brazil on the Thursday and Spain v Netherlands on Friday. That doesn't mean I don't like RL, the WC comes around every 4 years, whereas I can watch most of these teams play eachother 2/3/maybe 4 times a year. 

Exactly. Even though I much prefer RL to football the World Cup is a special event and not one I want to miss out on. It's not like people are only allowed to be fans of one sport.

#19 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

Go right ahead! No problem with anyone watching what they like recording what they want so long as they don't assume I'm interested and try to engage me in talk about it confusing me with someone who cares- tried soccer and found the crowd were the best thing about it !-saw the tour de France live once found the best thing about was the freebies they throw around to keep you there! - tried ru found the final whistle the best thing about it !

RL the game that reaches the parts other sports can't touch! TGG

"It is a brave and honest person who can stand apart from the masses and openly challenge its most treasured beliefs."

Edited by Oxford, 16 June 2014 - 06:35 AM.

#20 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

I say what i think not what im told to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users