Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fev make bid for Huddersfield Big 3

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

The club can confirm that Huddersfield have rejected a treble transfer offer for Crabtree, Ferres and Brough and no further approach will be made.

Now there is nothing wrong with ambition....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Getting worse and worse.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#3 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

I can only imagine Huddersfield replied back with a simple "lol!".
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#4 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

What did they offer a bag of coal for each

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

What did they offer a bag of coal for each

Don't be so flippant. I think Fev and Nahaboo have quite deep pockets.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,106 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

What this may do, a little like Salford, is alert players and agents out there that they are on the lookout for talented players. This may make it difficult to sign top SL players in the short term due to their position, but maybe some of the younger lads being released by SL clubs who have potential could go there thinking they could help to drive Fev forwards knowing that they have ambitions for international standard players.

#7 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Would those three not wipe out the Championship salary cap alone?

#8 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

Out of interest where has this quote been picked up from? There's nothing on the Fev website.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,106 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Out of interest where has this quote been picked up from? There's nothing on the Fev website.

http://www1.skysport...eld-giants-trio

This was quoted on the Fev website on an original press release about the new signing, can't find this now.

#10 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

That bloke that got kicked out of stanley royds made it up

#11 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

http://www1.skysport...eld-giants-trio

This was quoted on the Fev website on an original press release about the new signing, can't find this now.

Cheers Dave.

As I have said in other threads recently, I am becoming increasingly concerned about the direction my club is taking.

Ambition is a must for any sporting club but it needs to be done in a controlled, progressive way even if you have pots full of money to throw at it. Just have a look at Salford.

Why target 3 current internationals? Are they likely to abandon playing for their country to play Championship rugby?

It's making the club look unprofessional IMO.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#12 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

What this may do, a little like Salford, is alert players and agents out there that they are on the lookout for talented players. This may make it difficult to sign top SL players in the short term due to their position, but maybe some of the younger lads being released by SL clubs who have potential could go there thinking they could help to drive Fev forwards knowing that they have ambitions for international standard players.

No, there's a difference. Salford bid for Tomkins when everyone knew he was looking to leave Wigan, it was a serious offer and the player treated it as such. It worked in that, although Tomkins said no thanks, it was done professionally and came across that way. This (latest) move by Nahaboo looks and sounds like a joke.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,106 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

No, there's a difference. Salford bid for Tomkins when everyone knew he was looking to leave Wigan, it was a serious offer and the player treated it as such. It worked in that, although Tomkins said no thanks, it was done professionally and came across that way. This (latest) move by Nahaboo looks and sounds like a joke.

Not really that much difference, nobody really thought Tomkins was going to go to Salford, it was an audacious attempt to make headlines and a statement of intent, very similar.

#14 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Getting worse and worse.

It is for some
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#15 7723

• Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

Crabtree? Really? I'm surprised anyone would want him.

#16 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

Theres no way that them three would go to fev although i do think crabtree would fit in well

#17 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Not really that much difference, nobody really thought Tomkins was going to go to Salford, it was an audacious attempt to make headlines and a statement of intent, very similar.

And now we have all heard of Feisal and Dr. Koukash. It's no different to watching the adverts on TV. Should we tell them we don't want their money?...Of course not, it can only be good for the game.

#18 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

I've only spoken to Feisal on a couple of occasions but what's abundantly clear is his enthusiasm, drive and ambition for the club to become a credible force in SL. Time will tell if he succeeds or not but it won't be for the
lack of trying or for the lack of resources

I see the Giants have made no official comment either to confirm or deny the story but Nahaboo has set the benchmark by naming these targets, let's see whether Rovers do manage to land this calibre of player when the time comes. It's going to be very interesting.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 12 June 2014 - 02:31 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,106 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

I've only spoken to Feisal on a couple of occasions but what's abundantly clear is his enthusiasm, drive and ambition for the club to become a credible force in SL. Time will tell if he succeeds or not but it won't be for the
lack of trying or for the lack of resources

I see the Giants have made no official comment either to confirm or deny the story but Nahaboo has set the benchmark by naming these targets, let's see whether Rovers do manage to land this calibre of player when the time comes. It's going to be very interesting.

I remember people being dismissive of my club Warrington when we made our first big signing from a top club, Gleeson from Saints. It took a while to win anything from that point, but it all became interesting from that point.

Strangely a few years earlier we had signed Langer, Nikau, Walters, Gee - yet this all seemed a touch strange as we were still a very average team playing in front of modest crowds in an old  stadium

#20 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

There seems to be a consensus amongst some Featherstone fans that 'any publicity is good publicity'. I'd like to counter their wisdom with the assertion that 'ridiculous publicity makes you looks ridiculous'.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users