Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fev make bid for Huddersfield Big 3

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#21 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

There seems to be a consensus amongst some Featherstone fans that 'any publicity is good publicity'. I'd like to counter their wisdom with the assertion that 'ridiculous publicity makes you looks ridiculous'.

I'm one Fev fan that agrees with you Terminator.

What have all these brash statements achieved over the last couple of months? Nothing that couldn't have been achieved by keeping things in-house and making considered announcements as and when things have actually been finalised.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#22 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

What Salary Cap is the 'SL 2' or Championship operating under?

Currently the Championship is 300k (with dispensations for some clubs)

It would have to at least double for Fev to sign those three. They would probably have to offer 30-40% higher wages for them to consider moving and not forgetting the transfer fee which would be involved.

It's like Salfords 1m bid for Tomkins but on a lesser scale. Just a publicity stunt, did Fev really think they could make Crabtree want to leave Huddersfield? Not a chance.

Fev are not going to sign players of that calibre for a good 3 years. If these type of players are available then Koukash will have them as his pockets are deeper than Fev owners by some distance.

They'll start making reasonable bids for players soon I imagine.

#23 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

What Salary Cap is the 'SL 2' or Championship operating under?

Currently the Championship is 300k (with dispensations for some clubs)

It would have to at least double for Fev to sign those three. They would probably have to offer 30-40% higher wages for them to consider moving and not forgetting the transfer fee which would be involved.

It's like Salfords 1m bid for Tomkins but on a lesser scale. Just a publicity stunt, did Fev really think they could make Crabtree want to leave Huddersfield? Not a chance.

Fev are not going to sign players of that calibre for a good 3 years. If these type of players are available then Koukash will have them as his pockets are deeper than Fev owners by some distance.

They'll start making reasonable bids for players soon I imagine.

I heard mention that the cap will be £1m next year.  We will be needing a sprinkling of this calibre of player if we are to go up at the first attempt.

Was it a publicity stunt?  I believe a geniune offer was made, but I'm sure we didn't expect to receive a positive answer.  It's a clear statement of intent designed to grab the attention of players and agents and of course a bit of crowd pleasing for the faithful.

It's certainly got us plenty of publicity, those who think it's joke had better watch out come 2016.  This club is deadly serious in it's intentions.

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

I heard mention that the cap will be £1m next year.  We will be needing a sprinkling of this calibre of player if we are to go up at the first attempt.

Was it a publicity stunt?  I believe a geniune offer was made, but I'm sure we didn't expect to receive a positive answer.  It's a clear statement of intent designed to grab the attention of players and agents and of course a bit of crowd pleasing for the faithful.

It's certainly got us plenty of publicity, those who think it's joke had better watch out come 2016.  This club is deadly serious in it's intentions.

is it true that they're also targetting the Eurovision song contest in 2017?

Edited by Blind side johnny, 12 June 2014 - 07:03 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

I'm one Fev fan that agrees with you Terminator.

What have all these brash statements achieved over the last couple of months? Nothing that couldn't have been achieved by keeping things in-house and making considered announcements as and when things have actually been finalised.

The big problem is that it's all a bit like the boy 'who cried wolf' When there is some real news to announce, no one will be interested.

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Could you pass on my recommendation for a certain Mr Adam Henry? :good:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I have a lot of respect for Mark Campbell and what he and fev have achieved and the way they went about things. Very professional. But this last few months it seems Nahaboo seems to have gotten power hungry and made some outlandish remarks and seems to think he can buy Fev success at any price. Its a shame as Fev were doing things right before this. I just feel Fev have lost the way a bit and am not sure this new way is the right way for them in the long term. My concern for Fev. as well as Salford is what happens when these moneymen get bored or realise you cant just buy success and that there is a salary cap in operation? Who picks up the pieces when they have gone? Is it really good for the game that these people come in and think they can just do what they want? They do bring money into the game but for how long and is it invested in the right areas? 

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 12 June 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#28 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 260 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

To be fair the club are heavily investing in the stadium, excellent training facilities and we have an strong well funded a academy..... They aren't just blowing all their money on Players. Our PR could do with some refining though

Screen_Shot_2014_09_23_at_14_53_05.jpg

#29 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Absolute rollocks, why, I'll tell you why.

Why would three internationals drop a level??

Joke bid, makes the club look daft, it doesn't show intention, not at all.

#30 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

Purely from a PR/Marketing perspective..........This was on sky sports yesterday.

http://www1.skysport...eld-giants-trio

I don't think this makes fev sound stupid at all (imagine reading in without and pre conceived ideas about the club).  It does however get our name on sky sports and the attention of a lot more people than our usual paragraph in the Pont n Cas.

Of course we aren't going to sign international players while we are in the 2nd division but we may well have got a few more agents on the phone.

Screen_Shot_2014_09_23_at_14_53_05.jpg

#31 knottla

knottla
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

Well I'm sat here laughing,some of the comments and reaction from supporters of other clubs is doing what the statement was meant to do get F/Rovers in the public eye. How many clubs get mentioned on sky sports for instance from lower divisions. As for making the club look daft well I suppose that's for other people to comment on. What I can say is in over 50 years of supporting this club I have never seen so much ambition, backed up with deeds as well as talk,that is not to decry previous boards and committees. One last point just been a bit selfish, so what if it goes #### up it wont be for want of trying, I can guarantee that I will still support this club and not walk away, don't forget this is the FEV rollercoaster.

#32 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Leon Pryce and Gareth Carvell the next targets.

Be happy with pryce, but Carvell must be ready for his bus pass soon.

#33 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Well I'm sat here laughing,some of the comments and reaction from supporters of other clubs is doing what the statement was meant to do get F/Rovers in the public eye. How many clubs get mentioned on sky sports for instance from lower divisions. As for making the club look daft well I suppose that's for other people to comment on. What I can say is in over 50 years of supporting this club I have never seen so much ambition, backed up with deeds as well as talk,that is not to decry previous boards and committees. One last point just been a bit selfish, so what if it goes #### up it wont be for want of trying, I can guarantee that I will still support this club and not walk away, don't forget this is the FEV rollercoaster.

Exactly. Would you rather the club had the resources and infra structure to bid for these three or would you rather be in CC1 and in serious trouble like the club was a few years ago.

It might seem audacious and arrogant but as they say about life not being fair, it's a lot better than the alternative.

#34 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Any publicity is good publicity although i bet rolf harris begs to differ

#35 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

Stop going half-hearted. If Fev want a name, then SBW should be their primary target.

#36 lionheart

lionheart
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

Unfortunely hes signed up for New Zealand RU for next season but they have tried to his brother kenneth

#37 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

I agree publicity is good for the game, good for fev...... But 3 current internationals, your having a giraffe!!

I actually find it disrespectful, insulting and bad taste...... BECAUSE their internationals!!

#38 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

I agree publicity is good for the game, good for fev...... But 3 current internationals, your having a giraffe!!
I actually find it disrespectful, insulting and bad taste...... BECAUSE their internationals!!

Aye, know your place Fev!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#39 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Aye, know your place Fev!

TBF yeah, please tell me why 1 of them would join fev??

It's not a dig at fev or the ambition, however we need to be realistic in life.

Fev bidding for the best players in their division would be the ideal, not bidding for current internationals from last seasons LLS.

#40 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

A tad patronising wouldn't you say?

Give me a good reason why Fev shouldn't try and sign current internationals, it's not like it will be the first time we've had current GB/England internationals in the team.